The Pegula Qualification Thread.

Eleven

They’ve got enough money to purchase multiple sports teams and other businesses and haven’t made any egregious displays of discrimination so there’s the qualification to own.

Operate? Well, it depends on what you mean by operate.

• Like (+1) 3

They are amazing owners and the sole reason why the Bills are still in Buffalo.    They have poured a lot of money into both franchises and into the city as well.  They are classy individuals who make us proud.  Sure they have made some mistakes in hiring  presidents, GMs and coaches but at least the Bills are heading in the right direction.  I'm sure they will get it right with the Sabres as well.  I'm sure they will build or  renovate beautiful facilities for both teams with a lot of their own money.  Be patient and very thankful.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

They’ve got enough money to purchase multiple sports teams and other businesses and haven’t made any egregious displays of discrimination so there’s the qualification to own.

Operate? Well, it depends on what you mean by operate.

Correct. The issue is their qualifications to run the team, given that Kim installed herself as team president and Terry installed himself as de facto director of hockey operations.

8 minutes ago, freester said:

They are amazing owners and the sole reason why the Bills are still in Buffalo.    They have poured a lot of money into both franchises and into the city as well.  They are classy individuals who make us proud.  Sure they have made some mistakes in hiring  presidents, GMs and coaches but at least the Bills are heading in the right direction.  I'm sure they will get it right with the Sabres as well.  I'm sure they will build or  renovate beautiful facilities for both teams with a lot of their own money.  Be patient and very thankful.

Not much to quibble with here. I've always said the ownership situation is near perfect, but their one flaw is enormous. They need to hire good people and get out of the way. The recent revelation (by Kim) that Terry watches film on players should horrify any fan.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not much to quibble with here. I've always said the ownership situation is near perfect, but their one flaw is enormous. They need to hire good people and get out of the way. The recent revelation (by Kim) that Terry watches film on players should horrify any fan.

Concur.  I have been in management for 30 years as a COO and CEO.  Terry made the money and can do as he pleases.  However, I think we're seeing the learning curve of an engineer trying to become a sports management executive.  If he didn't own the team, he would have never got a management job in a sports organization.  Like PA says, hire good people and get out of the way.  I'm concerned that Terry is not the best evaluator of sports management personnel.  That aside, he has been a godsend for the Buffalo region.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

The law of averages never seems to work for Buffalo sports teams.  But something tells me that with the Pegula's dedication, patience, and money, that equation will be turned around.  It could be a lot worse for this city.  Don't forget we were once saddled with Paul Snyder/John Brown and the Rigas criminals.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

7 hours ago, freester said:

They screwed up a decent Bills team by hiring Ryan....they may have finally hired the right people and hopefully stay out of the way. The Sabres have been the worst team in the league since they arrived. We have seen 1 playoff game since they bought both franchises and most likely made the decision to trade away the NHL playoff MVP and best defensive forward in the league.You seem sure they will get it right withe the Sabres and build beautiful facilities.....why?  I'm not going to praise them just because they have money.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, nucci said:

They screwed up a decent Bills team by hiring Ryan....they may have finally hired the right people and hopefully stay out of the way. The Sabres have been the worst team in the league since they arrived. We have seen 1 playoff game since they bought both franchises and most likely made the decision to trade away the NHL playoff MVP and best defensive forward in the league.You seem sure they will get it right withe the Sabres and build beautiful facilities.....why?  I'm not going to praise them just because they have money.

They clearly made a mistake in hiring Botteril who has proved to be incompetent.  However Botteril was highly regarded at the time he was hired.  I think the lesson is never to hire a first time GM.

They had enough cash to buy the team... learning how to get correct people to run a hockey team in the midst of a serious downturn in talent and made some mistakes along the way.  Bots trade of OReilly was a mistake imo because obviously the lack of return he got back. I still think OReilly needed to go, he didnt fit in with young core, despite talent he wasnt the leader Sabres needed and his brother needs to be taken to the woodshed and locked in it. If TPegs ordered the trade before bonus so be it.  Move on.  Let's see what this offseason brings...

35 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

They had enough cash to buy the team... learning how to get correct people to run a hockey team in the midst of a serious downturn in talent and made some mistakes along the way.  Bots trade of OReilly was a mistake imo because obviously the lack of return he got back. I still think OReilly needed to go, he didnt fit in with young core, despite talent he wasnt the leader Sabres needed and his brother needs to be taken to the woodshed and locked in it. If TPegs ordered the trade before bonus so be it.  Move on.  Let's see what this offseason brings...

You're going to have to convince me why the playoff MVP , Cup winner and best defensive forward in the league had to go

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, nucci said:

You're going to have to convince me why the playoff MVP , Cup winner and best defensive forward in the league had to go

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's easy, he didn't. 

Doubt I will, TPegs wanted him to go from what Ive surmised.  Housley didnt know how to coach him or the team and as a result with Jack as main leader dont think he fit this team.  Kinda an independent contractor type who needed that space, not a team rah rah guy with this young team they have needed one. That being said with the new coach he might have worked and the biggest failing of TPegs and JBot is not the OReilly deal, but hanging on to Housley the whole season the previous year when it became apparent there was a disconnect with the coach and OReilly was done with this team.

26 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Doubt I will, TPegs wanted him to go from what Ive surmised.  Housley didnt know how to coach him or the team and as a result with Jack as main leader dont think he fit this team.  Kinda an independent contractor type who needed that space, not a team rah rah guy with this young team they have needed one. That being said with the new coach he might have worked and the biggest failing of TPegs and JBot is not the OReilly deal, but hanging on to Housley the whole season the previous year when it became apparent there was a disconnect with the coach and OReilly was done with this team.

I believe this....which is another strike against him as an owner. "The only reason for the Sabres existence is to win a Cup"

• Like (+1) 2

Speckle on speculators.  The Pegulas have brought stability to Western New York sports teams and for that I am greatly appreciative.  Have they made some questionable decisions since purchasing the organizations.... sure.  But to have owners that are completely committed to the success of these franchises and not afraid to spend money is all that we can hope for.  The on ice results will come.  I completely disagree with the hate for Jason Botterill.  He's building the team from the foundation up.  This takes time but it will create an ecosystem where you don't have to rush a draft pick into the NHL because your roster is completely devoid of talent.  Development is vitally important and the Sabres haven't been properly developing prospects for the past 5-7 years.  Hence our current predicament.  In lieu of developing prospects, we've been buying high on the free market and surprise surprise the results have not met expectations.  As for ROR, he had a great year for the Blues.  Be happy for him.  He wasn't going to deliver that with the Sabres and their current roster.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes the are more than qualified to own a sport team.  Terry built a business and he made billions. He did not inherit his fortune.  The 

They are not skilled, or even lucky, when trying to put together the organizations to run each teams.  Eventually they will get there.  The Bills appear to be on the right track at least. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.