Open Club  ·  18 members

The Auto Club

What are you driving? What's next?

ubkev

58 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

'07 Honda Fit Sport with the paddle shifters and a '13 Mazda CX-9. 

Both are fun to drive for what they are.  The Honda is basically a go kart that I barely fit into but my wife demanded (I'm 6'3", she's 5' - cars are difficult).  It is fun to take out on the twisty back roads though.  That is going soon, it's got almost 200k miles but, more importantly, my boys are getting bigger and all 4 of us no longer fit into it at the same time.

I love driving the CX-9 though.  It's comfortable, it handles well for a big vehicle and it's relatively quick for what it is.  I do a lot of highway driving for hockey and I never feel like I'm driving a big, lumbering beast of a thing.  When I want to go I put my foot down and it goes, passing is no issue.  It cruises at 85 almost TOO comfortably and quietly, there was definitely an adjustment period after I bought it.  We drove to Pittsburgh for a tournament shortly after I bought it and I caught myself doing 90 in the rain on the PA Tpk without realizing it.

As for next vehicles, I'm never buying new again, the depreciation is murder and I like to fly opposite of the marketplace.  SUVs and trucks are hot right now and prices are high while sedans sit around.  Hence, the Fit is likely to be replaced by a sedan of some sort.  Maybe a Mazda6 or a V6 Accord.  Something big enough that we can all comfortably fit into but is decently quick (I refuse to drive on 95 without something that can't accelerate and comfortably keep pace - environment be damned, I'm not dying on that road) and doesn't handle for crap.  

You're correct with buying new and the depreciation.  However, for me, buying a new car is my only real indulgence.  My wife and I live below our means and have no kids (novel concept) so I feel OK buying new even thought I know it's not smart financially.  Since my last 2 vehicles I kept for over 10 years each, I delude myself into thinking it's OK ?.  My current 2012 Caddy SRX has only 59k on it so I'm on schedule for 10 years at least.

11 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

'07 Honda Fit Sport with the paddle shifters and a '13 Mazda CX-9. 

Both are fun to drive for what they are.  The Honda is basically a go kart that I barely fit into but my wife demanded (I'm 6'3", she's 5' - cars are difficult).  It is fun to take out on the twisty back roads though.  That is going soon, it's got almost 200k miles but, more importantly, my boys are getting bigger and all 4 of us no longer fit into it at the same time.

I love driving the CX-9 though.  It's comfortable, it handles well for a big vehicle and it's relatively quick for what it is.  I do a lot of highway driving for hockey and I never feel like I'm driving a big, lumbering beast of a thing.  When I want to go I put my foot down and it goes, passing is no issue.  It cruises at 85 almost TOO comfortably and quietly, there was definitely an adjustment period after I bought it.  We drove to Pittsburgh for a tournament shortly after I bought it and I caught myself doing 90 in the rain on the PA Tpk without realizing it.

As for next vehicles, I'm never buying new again, the depreciation is murder and I like to fly opposite of the marketplace.  SUVs and trucks are hot right now and prices are high while sedans sit around.  Hence, the Fit is likely to be replaced by a sedan of some sort.  Maybe a Mazda6 or a V6 Accord.  Something big enough that we can all comfortably fit into but is decently quick (I refuse to drive on 95 without something that can't accelerate and comfortably keep pace - environment be damned, I'm not dying on that road) and doesn't handle for crap.  

+1 for the Fit Sport. Great little car. From everything I've read, the new Fit Sport doesn't compare to the old one.

Hard to go wrong with a Mazda6.

There are a number of possibilities for my next car -- depending on how long my current one lasts, what the budget and needs are, etc. -- but there is one must-have:  apple carplay.  I just had it in a rental car a couple of weeks ago and it is a fantastic feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been all over the map with the vehicles I've owned.  First car was a '74 Camaro.  I've owned trucks, sedans, econoboxes, smaller SUVs.  All purchased used.  I've never owned a new vehicle and don't see that changing.  There is alot of value, and alot of choices shopping for 2-3 yr old lease returns.

Currently driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I'm enjoying driving this vehicle more than any other that I've owned.  Unless things go badly the rest of the way out, I'm likely to buy another.

• 7 months later...

Well, I just traded in my 300hp sports car for a grocery getter. Part of me is horribly sad. But part of me likes my mid-size SUV. It'll be helpful on trips with the dogs....oh and with my family too. 

Mazda CX-5 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, ubkev said:

Well, I just traded in my 300hp sports car for a grocery getter. Part of me is horribly sad. But part of me likes my mid-size SUV. It'll be helpful on trips with the dogs....oh and with my family too. 

Mazda CX-5 

Everyone I know who has a CX-5 likes it. It's probably one of the only crossovers out there worth a damn style-wise too.

I just paid my car off 10 months early so I'm pretty happy about that. Probably just going to hang on to it now that it's paid off. No one really makes anything that I like/want at the moment anyway.

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

Everyone I know who has a CX-5 likes it. It's probably one of the only crossovers out there worth a damn style-wise too.

I just paid my car off 10 months early so I'm pretty happy about that. Probably just going to hang on to it now that it's paid off. No one really makes anything that I like/want at the moment anyway.

My old car had been paid off for quite a while. It was pretty darn nice. But it was time. She was 13 years old and I had put 137k on her. 3 out of 4 door lock actuators were shot, needed 2 new tire pressure sensors, and the tires weren't going to pass inspection come August. So I said f* it, can't be bothered with $900 in maintenance, let's drop $20 grand. 

That's reasonable, right?

I'm a mess.

• Like (+1) 1