Your predictions: what is Botterill going to do?

dudacek

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Also since Liger locked the draft thread...NHL GMs are the absolute worst. What a wet fart of a draft. 

Because they don't make all kinds of goofy ass trades?  

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Why does a trade have to be framed as goofy? They're insanely conservative. Meanwhile, in the NBA, there's a ton of movement on draft night. It's just more fun that way. 

But none of it is real since those deals aren’t official for a few weeks. That’s such a screwy system.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Why does a trade have to be framed as goofy? They're insanely conservative. Meanwhile, in the NBA, there's a ton of movement on draft night. It's just more fun that way. 

Fun for you.  To me it makes things less of about how you build a team and more about how you can just throw people around wherever you want.  What is a team at that point?  Uprooting people for the hell of it was never all that appealing to me.  

I also pay no attention to the NBA.  So.. I'll take your word for it.  But what's good for the NBA isn't necessarily what's good for the NHL.

Just now, LTS said:

Fun for you.  To me it makes things less of about how you build a team and more about how you can just throw people around wherever you want.  What is a team at that point?  Uprooting people for the hell of it was never all that appealing to me.  

I also pay no attention to the NBA.  So.. I'll take your word for it.  But what's good for the NBA isn't necessarily what's good for the NHL.

If you're really going to get into the human aspect of it, then you should probably hate the entire idea of a draft at all, right? 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If you're really going to get into the human aspect of it, then you should probably hate the entire idea of a draft at all, right? 

No.  But that would be an easy way of dismissing my opinion.  

1 minute ago, LTS said:

No.  But that would be an easy way of dismissing my opinion.  

It's not dismissing your opinion. But if your issue with enjoying player movement is that it has real world effects on real people, shouldn't that also apply to the draft where real people can't even choose where they work and live? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yet another area in which the NBA is much smarter than the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's not dismissing your opinion. But if your issue with enjoying player movement is that it has real world effects on real people, shouldn't that also apply to the draft where real people can't even choose where they work and live? 

I understand the sentiment.  The player movement aspect is just one point that I made.  The rest was that players moving around all the time really lessens the attachment to a team, at least for me.  I mean, why not just redraft the teams each year?  The ultimate in player movement right?

The drafting process is questionable, but it's also a one time event.  With minor exceptions, players only get drafted once and almost never is the player playing professionally where they were playing prior, so there was going to be a move required.  Trades come after a player is establishing a life and has far more impact.

I don't hate trades, but leagues where players move from team to team to team every year and contracts can be nullified on a whim really lessen the value of the sport. It seems like you devolve into, buy your championship mode. 

48 minutes ago, Weave said:

I dunno.  Trades are entertaining.  It’s an entertainment business.

And if they don't want to be uprooted Nd have to relocate, they can get themselves a nice office or factory job close to where they want to live and not have to move.

For 10-20 years of your life at a young age, you get to play a game and make millions then get to retire and spend the rest of your life living comfortably where ever you want if you didn't waste it all stupidly during your career....

14 hours ago, LTS said:

Salary caps and free agency destroyed "team building" a long time ago.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LTS said:

I don't follow it either but it seems they are more aggressive in trying to build a championship team. Could be a few more years before Sabres are close

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I understand the sentiment.  The player movement aspect is just one point that I made.  The rest was that players moving around all the time really lessens the attachment to a team, at least for me.  I mean, why not just redraft the teams each year?  The ultimate in player movement right?

The drafting process is questionable, but it's also a one time event.  With minor exceptions, players only get drafted once and almost never is the player playing professionally where they were playing prior, so there was going to be a move required.  Trades come after a player is establishing a life and has far more impact.

I don't hate trades, but leagues where players move from team to team to team every year and contracts can be nullified on a whim really lessen the value of the sport. It seems like you devolve into, buy your championship mode. 

does it matter how you win a championship? There's no set way. The goal is to win one

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

My prediction on what Botterill is going to do...…………

Continue to sit in the corner sucking his thumb mumbling "mamma" while the rest of the league makes moves to try and improve their clubs.

God, I so hope this is true.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:49 PM, dudacek said:

Oh boy just a middle six winger forced on to the first line?

Is that by design or just inability to close? You’ve left $10-15 million on the table.

It sure would bring me firmly into the Botterill-brasher camp to start the year.

My prediction still on course through draft....

• Sad 1

i see Risto for RNH as fair (fully recognizing that half the internet sees Risto as about as useful as a naked goalie and Oilers fans are as eager to trade RNH as we are to trade Reinhart for similar reasons) and I see Gagner as a cap dump and completely useless from a Sabres perspective. I still don’t think Edmonton does it because even with the cap savings Sheary and Davidsson doesn’t get you Larsson.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.