Your predictions: what is Botterill going to do?

dudacek

44 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It stings, but That’s too light for Marner. It has to really hurt. They would want more. Add Risto. 

And I would still do it.

I’m reluctant to get into this because the Leafs are likely to match anything, but that is almost exactly market value for Marner as determined by the CBA.

If a mediocre cap-roomy team like the Flyers to successfully sign him to an offer sheet, they would likely be giving up the rough equivalent of 4 picks in the teens. Isn’t picks 7, 14, 31 and 31 roughly equivalent to picks 18, 23, 14 and 19?

Edited by dudacek

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Prediction?

giphy.gif

Seriously. I predict JB like um takes and places phone calls and emails to better the roster. In each of the prior two off seasons he’s moved 10 guys on and off the roster. I’ll like predict he does something close to or similar this off season. Yea yea. That’s the ticket. 

Now where did I put down my magic 8 ball?

They got rid of Davis Payne.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

"What is your best case scenario?"
7 + something small for 12 + Zucker, take Newhouse at 12 or whatever his name is
Ristolainen, Mittelstadt, Nylander + for Cirelli, Cernak, and whatever salary makes it work 
(adding Mitts is a lot but it's hard to get Cirelli here with just Risto and lesser pieces)
UFA: Brandon Tanev, Ryan Carpenter, one of Brett Connolly/Donskoi, Benn/Nemeth
We will need to make something else happen to fit under the cap but let the cap guru figure that out (waive Sobotka, dump Sheary/Scandy for picks (Marco seems far more possible after that Braun deal))

Skinner - Eichel - Donskoi
Zucker - Cirelli - Reinhart
Tanev/Rodrigues -Tanev/Rodrigues - VO
Girgensons - Larsson - Callahan/KO
Callahan/KO

Dahlin - Cernak
Pilut - Montour
McCabe - Benn
Bogosian plays somewhere when healthy - Do not label pairs, 20 minutes per skater, 26/Cernak get general usage, skew 24/62 offensively and 19/Benn defensively 

Goalies

"What is your worst?"
Moving an asset for Wennberg
Moving more assets for Turris
including Larsson in an above deal under the guise that he and someone like Sobotka bring similar things to the table and are thus interchangeable
Declaring the center problem fixed
Risto for something built around a Virtanen-tier player
UFA: 4x4 for each of Corey Perry and Wayne Simmonds
Hunwick and Scandella in the top six together in October as Pilut, Bogosian recover
Letting Skinner go, leaving us with two top-six forwards in the entire organization  Thank you Jason, you're batting 2/2 so far this offseason
Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Turris - Okposo
Wennberg - Mitts - Simmonds
Girgensons - Sobotka - Thompson/Risto trade trash

Scandella - Risto
Dahlin - Montour
Hunwick - McCabe

Goalies

"Prediction"
 Somewhere in the middle

Flagg....good to see you back, hope all is well for you.

Why all the movement? I'd like to be able to set aside all the cliches like....because it's Buffalo, he'll never come here, our GM sucks, and all that goes on here. I also like to think positively for the most part. Hear me out and I would love to hear your thoughts.

First off, I'm kind of tired off the same old names coming up.....Marner and Point are not likely to happen (not because of Botts or because it's Buffalo) I just don't see those teams allowing those players to get away. We had ROR and now think along the lines of Duchene, Stastny, Miller, Hayes, and such as a replacement. I have a different idea.

I'd like to get someone who not only will fill the 2C role and shelter/ mentor Mitts, but also "push" Jack to be better. Some of the players I mentioned might do one or the other but, the player I have in mind would likely do all of it and fill that position on a temporary basis for a couple years at most until Mitts and our #7 pick develop. I'd like your thoughts and what you think it would cost?

Here it goes....Botts needs to put on his "big boy pants" and use his Pitt influence to pry Malkin away from them. Rutherford has said that Malkin, Letang, and Hornqvist are not untouchable. He's not actively shopping them but a deal is possible.

Sign either Donskoi or Ferlund. If you feel the need for more you could still go after Kapanen or Ehlers. Malkin I would try to get using picks and prospects while Donskoi/ Ferlund would be UFA signings. Not sure if everything would fit under cap.

Skinner--Eichel--Ferlund/Donskoi

Olofsson--Malkin--Reinhart

Sheary--Mitts--ERod

Girgs--Larry--KO?

Not sure what I'd do with the D....likely deal Scandy though.

Thoughts? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Flagg....good to see you back, hope all is well for you.

Why all the movement? I'd like to be able to set aside all the cliches like....because it's Buffalo, he'll never come here, our GM sucks, and all that goes on here. I also like to think positively for the most part. Hear me out and I would love to hear your thoughts.

First off, I'm kind of tired off the same old names coming up.....Marner and Point are not likely to happen (not because of Botts or because it's Buffalo) I just don't see those teams allowing those players to get away. We had ROR and now think along the lines of Duchene, Stastny, Miller, Hayes, and such as a replacement. I have a different idea.

I'd like to get someone who not only will fill the 2C role and shelter/ mentor Mitts, but also "push" Jack to be better. Some of the players I mentioned might do one or the other but, the player I have in mind would likely do all of it and fill that position on a temporary basis for a couple years at most until Mitts and our #7 pick develop. I'd like your thoughts and what you think it would cost?

Here it goes....Botts needs to put on his "big boy pants" and use his Pitt influence to pry Malkin away from them. Rutherford has said that Malkin, Letang, and Hornqvist are not untouchable. He's not actively shopping them but a deal is possible.

Sign either Donskoi or Ferlund. If you feel the need for more you could still go after Kapanen or Ehlers. Malkin I would try to get using picks and prospects while Donskoi/ Ferlund would be UFA signings. Not sure if everything would fit under cap.

Skinner--Eichel--Ferlund/Donskoi

Olofsson--Malkin--Reinhart

Sheary--Mitts--ERod

Girgs--Larry--KO?

Not sure what I'd do with the D....likely deal Scandy though.

Thoughts? 

Thanks for the kind words! The volume of movement is just because they're best/worst case scenarios, and in the best case scenario I would have us upgrading every single thing I perceive to be an issue, and we have a few issues.

I'm not sure it's realistic that Malkin can be moved for that kind of package, and I'm not sure how I feel about his most recent season, but I can't say it's not a tantalizing idea. Also, if you're into Ferlund/Donskoi for the side of the game they can bring, if we lose out on those two for money issues a nice alternative could be Brett Connolly. 

If that lineup were to somehow materialize I'd definitely watch with more anticipation than the last few years have given. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Thanks for the kind words! The volume of movement is just because they're best/worst case scenarios, and in the best case scenario I would have us upgrading every single thing I perceive to be an issue, and we have a few issues.

I'm not sure it's realistic that Malkin can be moved for that kind of package, and I'm not sure how I feel about his most recent season, but I can't say it's not a tantalizing idea. Also, if you're into Ferlund/Donskoi for the side of the game they can bring, if we lose out on those two for money issues a nice alternative could be Brett Connolly. 

If that lineup were to somehow materialize I'd definitely watch with more anticipation than the last few years have given. 

Thanks and yes, Brett Connolly would be another option.

7 hours ago, Derrico said:

If I’m Pitt I’m trading both this offseason but that’s discussion for another day.

Sidney Crosby, one of the greatest players of all time, Penguins captain of 12 years, who brought them to 3 cups earning two smythes in the process, is 31, with 6 years left on his deal left at a cap hit .3 million less than Jeff Skinner, and just finished 2nd in Hart voting for this past season. 

And your plan is to trade this man?

giphy.gif

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

Wheels are falling off in Pitt as that core ages.  Great for you bringing us three cups.  It’s always balancing present with future.  They are about two or three years away from the core really showing it’s age.  You could obviously get a ton for them.  Not saying give them away obviously lol.  The return could significantly fast forward a mind rebuild.  No sense waiting three years and moving vets for pocket change ala Iginla if you don’t think the vets can do it.  I don’t think Pitt has the horses and the sweep to isles was just the tip of the iceberg.  Won’t happen but if I’m Pitt I’m atleast listening.

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Wheels are falling off in Pitt as that core ages.  Great for you bringing us three cups.  It’s always balancing present with future.  They are about two or three years away from the core really showing it’s age.  You could obviously get a ton for them.  Not saying give them away obviously lol.  The return could significantly fast forward a mind rebuild.  No sense waiting three years and moving vets for pocket change ala Iginla if you don’t think the vets can do it.  I don’t think Pitt has the horses and the sweep to isles was just the tip of the iceberg.  Won’t happen but if I’m Pitt I’m atleast listening.

But why take 3-4 years to rebuild to try and get to the place they are already right now? Competing for Cups.

The Isles then got swept. Then the team that beat them got swept. Tampa also got swept. Pens are fine. 

Like I'm listening on Malkin maybe because he had a down year, but even then, it would need to be a big return. Crosby's season might have been the best of his career. He's still in his prime. He's a rare breed. 

Edited by Thorny

I am starting to think that if we look at our current base roster of

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittlestadt - Olofsson

Smith - Rodrigues - Nylander

Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen

Pilut - Nelson

Scandella - Bogosian

Hutton, Ullmark

Then we should look at bringing in good complimentary pieces rather than anything terribly huge.  For instance, how much do Donskoi and Ferland move the charts on the wings?  Ryan Dzingel at centre?  A couple of years of Stralman or Myers?

There will be three major moves and none will involve Ristolainen.

1) He acquires a 2nd line center. Miller is the prime target but maybe Dzingel

2) He signs a decent winger. I’m thinking Ferlund or  Donskoi.

3) He adds leadership and defense with either Stralman or Martinez.  

He trades away Nylander, one of Larsson or Girgensons, Scandella as Bogo’s injury prevents a deal there and possibly a D prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/19/2019 at 11:58 PM, WildCard said:

@Randall Flagg I just won't give up Mitts to be honest. He's going to be a stud and our future 2C

I agree it is too early to move Mittelstadt, but it's also way too early to declare him a future 2C stud.

The jury is very much out on him right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kruppstahl said:

I agree it is too early to move Mittelstadt, but it's also way too early to declare him a future 2C stud.

The jury is very much out on him right now.

When can you declare him a future 2C stud? When he already is one? That kinda takes the point of the whole 'future' thing outta it

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

When can you declare him a future 2C stud? When he already is one? That kinda takes the point of the whole 'future' thing outta it

That's an interesting question, with different answers depending on if you're We've or Liger. 

I think he needs to show more than any of his seasons so far to declare it, but he's shown an amount that allows you to hope for it.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's an interesting question, with different answers depending on if you're We've or Liger. 

I think he needs to show more than any of his seasons so far to declare it, but he's shown an amount that allows you to hope for it.

I think hope is the right word.  It’s too soon to not have hope, but anything other than hope is not due to evidence to date.

• Like (+1) 1

Cap is less than expected. Several teams strapped and pushed to the limit. Marner, Subban, so many big names and so many possibilities imo if JBot cannot get SOMETHING done where he brings in a big addition in alleviating someone's cap issue I'm definitely cold on him for the future. I'd go so far as to say he is an epic fail. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.