Your predictions: what is Botterill going to do?

dudacek

We are underway in the busiest three weeks of roster shuffling in the NHL.

The insiders are saying (like they usually do) that there is the potential for a huge run of player movement and our GM has pledged to be in the thick of things. This is your chance to go on record with what you expect to happen.

Will Botterill make a big trade? How many deals do you expect? Will he sign any free agents?

Will he be dealing or adding picks? Who will be our first choice this weekend?

Who will be the biggest name acquired? The biggest to leave?

What is your best case scenario and what is your worst?

• Like (+1) 1

I think Bottsie will sign Perry to a very cap friendly deal.  3 years $17.5 million.

I think he will trade McCabe and stuff for a top 6 winger.

He will keep the #7 and pick someone completely off the radar.

Samson will be the #2 centre we have all dreamed of ... granted that will not happen in the time frame outlined by our crazy Canuck in the OP. Perry will be his sniping winger.

Risto will not be traded.

I could keep going.  I am full of it tonight and I miss my lovely bride.  We will see each other tomorrow night, so I will not be reporting for duty, maybe not until Monday ...

• Like (+1) 1

I think we will be busy.

I am kind of expecting a reverse ROR trade: some variation of Nylander, 31 and the Blues 2nd for a top 6 forward. We’ve thrown names around, but we might be surprised by the who and I doubt it will be as good a player as O’Reilly.

We keep 7 and take Caufield unless Zegras is still on the table.

We will get a middle-six forward relatively cheaply in trade because of a contract situation, whether it’s Vesey, or Eakin, or someone else - kind of like the Sheary deal.

And we acquire a reliable stay-at-home Stralman/Tanev type either through trade or free agency.

Someone - most likely McCabe - will be moved to make room. And someone from last spring’s bottom nine goes as well to make room for a prospect to win a job.

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think Bottsie will sign Perry to a very cap friendly deal.  3 years $17.5 million.

Samson will be the #2 centre we have all dreamed of ... granted that will not happen in the time frame outlined by our crazy Canuck in the OP. Perry will be his sniping winger.

I could keep going.  I am full of it tonight and I miss my lovely bride.  We will see each other tomorrow night, so I will not be reporting for duty, maybe not until Monday ...

I don't think either, besides his flaws I would keep him to, can't replace him unless Borgen and Laaksonen suddenly show up.

as for the #7 pick Turcotte will fall to us.

I forgot the most burning conversation.

Risto might be traded if the bidding gets hot enough, but it won’t be for a bag of magic beans.

If he is flipped, everyone who doesn’t think Risto is a legit first pairing guy will be pleased with the return.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We are underway in the busiest three weeks of roster shuffling in the NHL.

The insiders are saying (like they usually do) that there is the potential for a huge run of player movement and our GM has pledged to be in the thick of things. This is your chance to go on record with what you expect to happen.

Will Botterill make a big trade? How many deals do you expect? Will he sign any free agents?

Will he be dealing or adding picks? Who will be our first choice this weekend?

Who will be the biggest name acquired? The biggest to leave?

What is your best case scenario and what is your worst?

Well dudacek you've convinced me Botterill probably really likes Krueger to the tune of probably even being his first choice, so that factors into what I think may happen this summer.

I see Krueger talking Botterill out of trading Risto (he's gonna listen to him, right?), and combined with Botts being a little gun-shy after dealing ROR, I think Risto stays. The tea leaves to me are beginning to suggest a 2C plan of some combination of Reinhart and Mittelstadt, rather than an addition. He'll still add one top 6 winger, but not much else. Perhaps a depth D. Maybe no depth D at all if he's set on Bogosian playing the bottom pair. Maybe no significant trades at all if the forward is brought in through UFA.

He'll take Zegras or Caufield at 7. 

---

Skinner - Eichel - Donskoi

Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Sheary - Rodrigues - Okposo

Girgensons - Larsson - Thompson

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen

Pilut - Bogosian

Scandella - Nelson

I think 2C not being adequately addressed proves to be a doubled-down on gaffe.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Well dudacek you've convinced me Botterill probably really likes Krueger to the tune of probably even being his first choice, so that factors into what I think may happen this summer.

I see Krueger talking Botterill out of trading Risto (he's gonna listen to him, right?), and combined with Botts being a little gun-shy after dealing ROR, I think Risto stays. The tea leaves to me are beginning to suggest a 2C plan of some combination of Reinhart and Mittelstadt, rather than an addition. He'll still add one top 6 winger, but not much else. Perhaps a depth D. Maybe no depth D at all if he's set on Bogosian playing the bottom pair. Maybe no significant trades at all if the forward is brought in through UFA.

He'll take Zegras or Caufield at 7. 

---

Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Sheary - Rodrigues - Okposo

Girgensons - Larsson - Thompson

Dahlin - Montour

McCabe - Ristolainen

Pilut - Bogosian

Scandella - Nelson

I think 2C not being adequately addressed proves to be a doubled-down on gaffe.

Oh boy just a middle six winger forced on to the first line?

Is that by design or just inability to close? You’ve left $10-15 million on the table.

It sure would bring me firmly into the Botterill-brasher camp to start the year.

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Oh boy just a middle six winger forced on to the first line?

Is that by design or just inability to close? You’ve left $10-15 million on the table.

It sure would bring me firmly into the Botterill-brasher camp to start the year.

Well we can flip Reinhart and Donskoi and we have a legitimate 1RW and 2RW. 

I think it's by design if it happens. I think they may still add a 2C but I'm not as convinced as I was. 

If he leaves 10-15 mil on the table the narrative will be that "we weren't going to win the cup this year anyways" and that Botterill is saving the cap-space for a post-lockout (fingers crossed it doesn't happen) splash in FA. 

Maybe Pegula was ok with the Krueger hiring because it came with the promise to not spend frivolously this summer? A building year. I wouldn't have thought he cared about $ but my perception changed a bit when he apparently refused to pay ROR his $ bonus. 

The line-up I posited as a guess is essentially the same as the other more ideal offerings we've seen, minus that 2C, of course, and a filler Risto replacement. If we don't trade Risto for that 2C, I could see something like this being the case. 

Whether or not we trade Ristolainen is the main domino being juggled on the field, that needs to fall, one way or the other. 

Edited by Thorny

Prediction?

giphy.gif

Seriously. I predict JB like um takes and places phone calls and emails to better the roster. In each of the prior two off seasons he’s moved 10 guys on and off the roster. I’ll like predict he does something close to or similar this off season. Yea yea. That’s the ticket. 

Now where did I put down my magic 8 ball?

Very active.  Biggest to leave is Risto.  Biggest Return is Ehlers.   Too much talk about Tampa so I also say Miller and Callahan are also traded to Buffalo.  I think he unloads Scandella and rights for Larsson.  Relentless in my belief (probably wrong) that Vlad is a buyout.   Nylander is traded although I want to see him get a legit chance on this team.    He keeps both 7 & 31.  We are surprised that Cozens falls to #7 (not unlike the Bills good fortune in April).  McCabe is also traded and we pick up a McQuaid or Girardi in free agency.   Girgensen returns on a one year deal, along with another UFA.  Donskoi is the popular pick but I'll go Vanek. 

Edited by Broken Ankles

13 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Prediction?

giphy.gif

Seriously. I predict JB like um takes and places phone calls and emails to better the roster. In each of the prior two off seasons he’s moved 10 guys on and off the roster. I’ll like predict he does something close to or similar this off season. Yea yea. That’s the ticket. 

Now where did I put down my magic 8 ball?

no specifics but you win for a Clubber Lang Gif.  

47 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well we can flip Reinhart and Donskoi and we have a legitimate 1RW and 2RW. 

I think it's by design if it happens. I think they may still add a 2C but I'm not as convinced as I was. 

If he leaves 10-15 mil on the table the narrative will be that "we weren't going to win the cup this year anyways" and that Botterill is saving the cap-space for a post-lockout (fingers crossed it doesn't happen) splash in FA. 

Maybe Pegula was ok with the Krueger hiring because it came with the promise to not spend frivolously this summer? A building year. I wouldn't have thought he cared about $ but my perception changed a bit when he apparently refused to pay ROR his $ bonus. 

The line-up I posited as a guess is essentially the same as the other more ideal offerings we've seen, minus that 2C, of course, and a filler Risto replacement. If we don't trade Risto for that 2C, I could see something like this being the case. 

Whether or not we trade Ristolainen is the main domino being juggled on the field, that needs to fall, one way or the other. 

Really don't see the unwillingness to pay O'Reilly's bonus as being due to "cheapness.". Rightly or wrongly, that one was on principle.

• Like (+1) 1

"What is your best case scenario?"
7 + something small for 12 + Zucker, take Newhouse at 12 or whatever his name is
Ristolainen, Mittelstadt, Nylander + for Cirelli, Cernak, and whatever salary makes it work 
(adding Mitts is a lot but it's hard to get Cirelli here with just Risto and lesser pieces)
UFA: Brandon Tanev, Ryan Carpenter, one of Brett Connolly/Donskoi, Benn/Nemeth
We will need to make something else happen to fit under the cap but let the cap guru figure that out (waive Sobotka, dump Sheary/Scandy for picks (Marco seems far more possible after that Braun deal))

Zucker - Cirelli - Reinhart
Tanev/Rodrigues -Tanev/Rodrigues - VO
Girgensons - Larsson - Callahan/KO
Callahan/KO

Dahlin - Cernak
Pilut - Montour
McCabe - Benn
Bogosian plays somewhere when healthy - Do not label pairs, 20 minutes per skater, 26/Cernak get general usage, skew 24/62 offensively and 19/Benn defensively 

Goalies

"What is your worst?"
Moving an asset for Wennberg
Moving more assets for Turris
including Larsson in an above deal under the guise that he and someone like Sobotka bring similar things to the table and are thus interchangeable
Declaring the center problem fixed
Risto for something built around a Virtanen-tier player
UFA: 4x4 for each of Corey Perry and Wayne Simmonds
Hunwick and Scandella in the top six together in October as Pilut, Bogosian recover
Letting Skinner go, leaving us with two top-six forwards in the entire organization  Thank you Jason, you're batting 2/2 so far this offseason
Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Turris - Okposo
Wennberg - Mitts - Simmonds
Girgensons - Sobotka - Thompson/Risto trade trash

Scandella - Risto
Dahlin - Montour
Hunwick - McCabe

Goalies

"Prediction"
 Somewhere in the middle

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Scandella or Bogosian gets moved.  Due to injury status of Bogo expecting it to be Marco.  Nothing major (4th rounder) coming back unless part of a reverse O'Reilly.

Johansson signed as FA.

Ristolainen does get moved (too much smoke there) W/ Miller the key piece coming back. 

If no Miller, they get Statsny (relatively cheaply).

Strahlman brought in as well.

Some former Penguin also shows up.

Zegras taken at 7.

Nylander & 31 to TO for rights to Kapanen.

Skinner - Eichel - Kapanen

Johansson -  Miller - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittelstadt - Olofsson

Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

McCabe - Montour

Dahlin - Strahlman

Pilut - Bogosian

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Perry is kinda a giant dck though 

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

"What is your best case scenario?"
7 + something small for 12 + Zucker, take Newhouse at 12 or whatever his name is
Ristolainen, Mittelstadt, Nylander + for Cirelli, Cernak, and whatever salary makes it work 
(adding Mitts is a lot but it's hard to get Cirelli here with just Risto and lesser pieces)
UFA: Brandon Tanev, Ryan Carpenter, one of Brett Connolly/Donskoi, Benn/Nemeth
We will need to make something else happen to fit under the cap but let the cap guru figure that out (waive Sobotka, dump Sheary/Scandy for picks (Marco seems far more possible after that Braun deal))

Zucker - Cirelli - Reinhart
Tanev/Rodrigues -Tanev/Rodrigues - VO
Girgensons - Larsson - Callahan/KO
Callahan/KO

Dahlin - Cernak
Pilut - Montour
McCabe - Benn
Bogosian plays somewhere when healthy - Do not label pairs, 20 minutes per skater, 26/Cernak get general usage, skew 24/62 offensively and 19/Benn defensively 

Goalies

"What is your worst?"
Moving an asset for Wennberg
Moving more assets for Turris
including Larsson in an above deal under the guise that he and someone like Sobotka bring similar things to the table and are thus interchangeable
Declaring the center problem fixed
Risto for something built around a Virtanen-tier player
UFA: 4x4 for each of Corey Perry and Wayne Simmonds
Hunwick and Scandella in the top six together in October as Pilut, Bogosian recover
Letting Skinner go, leaving us with two top-six forwards in the entire organization  Thank you Jason, you're batting 2/2 so far this offseason
Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Sheary - Turris - Okposo
Wennberg - Mitts - Simmonds
Girgensons - Sobotka - Thompson/Risto trade trash

Scandella - Risto
Dahlin - Montour
Hunwick - McCabe

Goalies

"Prediction"
 Somewhere in the middle

Welcome back.

?

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks fam, power was knocked out by a wind storm for a bit there

Wonder if we do Hutton at home/Linus on the road this Friday/Saturday to stick with their performance pattern. Gotta get this back on the road quick or we might be talking wild card instead of home ice this spring. Have I told anyone we should stop using Sobotka like we are yet?

At least the Blues should be an easy win

big draft ramifications for Bills/Lions this weekend

?

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@Randall Flagg I just won't give up Mitts to be honest. He's going to be a stud and our future 2C

It's not about Mitts it's about Cirelli 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.