Sabres RFAs Receiving Qualifying Offers from the Team

Brawndo

59 minutes ago, shrader said:

The thought of having an entire effective line out there with a combined price tag south of $5 million is an appealing one.  I don't know who the third piece winds up being, but the Zemgus/Larsson combo will barely top a combined $3 million.  It's pocket change at this point.

I can get behind this, I guess.

Thing is: The team stunk last season. So I'm knee jerkedly skeptical of rolling the same 4th line. But maybe they were not the (a) problem. Maybe it is lines 2 and 3 that need the revamp.

• Like (+1) 1

To the Larsson discussion, I don’t think @Randall Flagg is breaking any news here. It was pretty much the consensus around here six months ago that this team had an outstanding 1st line and an outstanding 4th line and a terrible middle six.

Most around here seem convinced that the team we saw in the last month is the team we are. I don’t think that’s any more realistic than thinking the team we saw in November is the team we are.

Get a couple of good middle-sixers and we have the ability to competitive. And we have the assets to get those pieces. Botts needs to make it happen.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I can get behind this, I guess.

Thing is: The team stunk last season. So I'm knee jerkedly skeptical of rolling the same 4th line. But maybe they were not the (a) problem. Maybe it is lines 2 and 3 that need the revamp.

Look at it this way. If you could look at every team in the league and steal what you judge to be the best 4th line in the league, how many wins do you think it would have added? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

That ^^^ blogger makes similar tweets every year that rarely come true.

I think agents use him to remind GMs that their Euros have other options.

Every league has that guy.  The comments from random source in the Q trying to poach college committed kids are an annual right of passage.

Using Randall Flagg's Theory of Roles, this is the best I could do with what we currently have in the Sabres organization:

Line 1: Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Line 2: Sheary - Rodrigues - Reinhart

Line 2: Nylander - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Line 4: Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Can anyone do better? I'd be happy enough with everything here except Sheary and Rodrigues on the 2nd line and Okposo...well...anywhere. It's obvious to me that we badly need a #2C and probably 2 top-6 wingers from outside the organization while we figure out what we have with Mittelstadt, Nylander, Olofsson, and Thompson. 

4 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Using Randall Flagg's Theory of Roles, this is the best I could do with what we currently have in the Sabres organization:

Line 1: Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Line 2: Sheary - Rodrigues - Reinhart

Line 2: Nylander - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Line 4: Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo

Can anyone do better? I'd be happy enough with everything here except Sheary and Rodrigues on the 2nd line and Okposo...well...anywhere. It's obvious to me that we badly need a #2C and probably 2 top-6 wingers from outside the organization while we figure out what we have with Mittelstadt, Nylander, Olofsson, and Thompson. 

I would replace Thompson with CJ Smith and O'Regan myself.  Other than that, I think you have the bare minimum we can expect to see next year.

The best part of that line-up: NO SOBotka.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

To the Larsson discussion, I don’t think @Randall Flagg is breaking any news here. It was pretty much the consensus around here six months ago that this team had an outstanding 1st line and an outstanding 4th line and a terrible middle six.

Most around here seem convinced that the team we saw in the last month is the team we are. I don’t think that’s any more realistic than thinking the team we saw in November is the team we are.

Get a couple of good middle-sixers and we have the ability to competitive. And we have the assets to get those pieces. Botts needs to make it happen.

Points percentage over 82 games: .463

In November: .767

Last Month: .263

So it's in between, but what we saw in the last month is a bit closer to what we were for the season.

Totally agree with the last sentence. 

Edited by Thorny

17 hours ago, freester said:

Erod will not be on the 4th line.  It will be Okposo with Zemgus and Larsson

new coach, new system, no reason why he would play anybody who was together last year together this year. Okposo on the 4th line never made any sense to me and I doubt it will to Kreuger. It's not just a dumping ground for your bottom forwards, it has to have a role. I have no idea what Kreuger will do, but I have a funny feeling it'll (at least start) all different. 

• Like (+1) 1

Seriously regarding Sobotka, what do they do with him?  He was uninterested in playing hockey last year.  Just going through the motions.  Looks like a buy out is not in the cards.  Demote him to Rochester and save a few bucks off the cap??? 

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Seriously regarding Sobotka, what do they do with him?  He was uninterested in playing hockey last year.  Just going through the motions.  Looks like a buy out is not in the cards.  Demote him to Rochester and save a few bucks off the cap??? 

It’s one year left.  No buyout, I think you just live with him for one more season.  Just hope RK doesn’t play him like the second coming of Bergeron like previous coach.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

It’s one year left.  No buyout, I think you just live with him for one more season.  Just hope RK doesn’t play him like the second coming of Bergeron like previous coach.

I think if you waive him to AHL, might see him bolt to Europe.   Would try that for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Has any info about the other RFAs gotten out at all?  Qualifying all of the NHL-level guys (and Smith) really wasn't earth shattering news, but I'd be curious to see if they did choose to let any of the others walk (except Brycen Martin, that one seems kind of obvious).

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Has any info about the other RFAs gotten out at all?  Qualifying all of the NHL-level guys (and Smith) really wasn't earth shattering news, but I'd be curious to see if they did choose to let any of the others walk (except Brycen Martin, that one seems kind of obvious).

Pretty sure they don't release the salary cap until Saturday for some reason, even to the GMs, so I would imagine that has a lot to do with it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.