2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

57 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Trade Risto+McCabe+Smith with CLB for Dubois?

It would probably take Reinhart ++ to get PLD out of Columbus. I don’t see him going anywhere. Would be a stud to add to Buffalo, but alas he’s not our stud to have. 

19 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I played football and lacrosse in high school, never ice hockey (family couldn't afford it growing up) and nothing in college outside of some random rec league roller and floor hockey. So what? 

Rec ultimate frizby player myself in college ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Your use of "people" is offensive and overgeneralizing.  I'm not people, I'm one guy.  There are influential current individuals today that use the term "people" so much it will make your head spin.

W/ all due respect, you seem to be the only person that thought True was referring specifically to you.  Charlie said (paraphrasing here) that he didn't understand the love McCabe gets.  Can see where you thought he was asking specifically why you love what McCabe brings as he was replying to your post, but this discussion has been ongoing often enough that most everybody else here thought he was referring to the larger set of fans / hockey people that appreciate McCabe rather than just you.  Clearly, True was responding back to the more general question.

You typically are a good poster with good takes.  Just seems strange how you've reacted to this non-slight.  And this is another example of how difficult it can be to communicate with only written words with no other verbal or visual cues, especially in a forum where brevity is valued.

?

Just now, Taro T said:

W/ all due respect, you seem to be the only person that thought True was referring specifically to you.  Charlie said (paraphrasing here) that he didn't understand the love McCabe gets.  Can see where you thought he was asking specifically why you love what McCabe brings as he was replying to your post, but this discussion has been ongoing often enough that most everybody else here thought he was referring to the larger set of fans / hockey people that appreciate McCabe rather than just you.  Clearly, True was responding back to the more general question.

You typically are a good poster with good takes.  Just seems strange how you've reacted to this non-slight.  And this is another example of how difficult it can be to communicate with only written words with no other verbal or visual cues, especially in a forum where brevity is valued.

?

You are a sage Taro, and we all can learn.  I thank you.  Written words without the verbal cues can lead to unintended consequences.  We're back to hockey!

• Thanks (+1) 1

I find it hard to believe anyone has played or watched any amount of competitive hockey and concluded that violence plays no role in the outcome. It absolutely does, it is only the nature of that violence or the degree of its impact that is debatable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If there's a better of "we desperately need something to happen" than this particular exchange, I don't know what it is. 

Whatever you do, don't leave us in a huff.  Some of us still love you.

tenor.gif?itemid=9560518

Edited by ...
Snoopy and that yellow bird.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Quite the rant.  I thought most owners had enough money to last 10 lifetimes and buy teams because they love the game and want the excitement of being involved.  Sounds like the Sens owner needs this business to break even just to pay his bills.  Gives me more comfort in the Pegula "I'll dig another well" comment.

13 hours ago, Derrico said:

Paging @New Scotland (NS) 

NS to the white courtesy phone please

Sorry, my pager needs a tuneup.

13 hours ago, inkman said:

First and foremost, every time I read this I pronounce it as 81 would have liked. Secondly, what is God's name is the origin of it. 

The origin of The Great Satan was a morning talk radio show host years ago here in Halifax.  I have been carrying on that great tradition for years after he moved on.  

Suffice to say that the whole country of Canada, maybe the whole world and the world beyond believe that Toronto is so terrible in every way that we all call it that.  I have lived there and can say that it is the most terrible place ever.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Sorry, my pager needs a tuneup.

The origin of The Great Satan was a morning talk radio show host years ago here in Halifax.  I have been carrying on that great tradition for years after he moved on.  

Suffice to say that the whole country of Canada, maybe the whole world and the world beyond believe that Toronto is so terrible in every way that we all call it that.  I have lived there and can say that it is the most terrible place ever.

As far as huge cities go, Toronto is up there in terms of the best. I would take it over Chicago, LA, or NYC any day of the week. I imagine Canada’s disdain of TO is very similar to New Yorkers disdain for NYC. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Pretty sure he can just keep his residency in Florida and pay zero state tax since he's not playing any games. 

I know athletes file taxes not only in their home state but also in every state—and some cities—in which they play.  However, since Callahan is not actually playing, I'm not sure.  I assume an insurance company is paying his salary on LTIR.  Interesting question.

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm not sure how he actually gets paid though.  Does he get paid based on where the team is playing or not?

3 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I know athletes file taxes not only in their home state but also in every state—and some cities—in which they play.  However, since Callahan is not actually playing, I'm not sure.  I assume an insurance company is paying his salary on LTIR.  Interesting question.

We need a tax attorney. I know player residency can't get them out of state taxes while playing but I remember reading they could escape Canadian taxes based on residency. That was awhile ago though, so the details are fuzzy and/or incorrect. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

On 7/31/2019 at 9:14 AM, #freejame said:

As far as huge cities go, Toronto is up there in terms of the best. I would take it over Chicago, LA, or NYC any day of the week. I imagine Canada’s disdain of TO is very similar to New Yorkers disdain for NYC

On 7/31/2019 at 9:40 AM, Derrico said:

Yep.  This exactly.

I don't think so. Having lived in both, NYC and Toronto have nearly nothing in common. As a professor I had in Toronto put it, Toronto basically has a lot of the bad stuff (traffic, overcrowding on subways), but none of the cultural stuff to make up for it. Sorry, TO...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.