2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If we add Gardiner and a 2C for Risto there is no reason to not be a 90+ point team. Gardiner’s contract will probably upset a good bit of people, myself included, but I’ll take anything for the playoffs at this point

Living in the Great Satan I have taken in more leaf games than I care to admit hanging with friends.

On one hand Gardiner can be a tire fire come playoff time.  He's good for atleast one bad turnover per game (he's been my 'favorite' leaf the last two game 7's with the B's because of his giveaways).  I also really worry about his back issues.  

On the other hand he's a really good skating and puck moving D.  Fits the JBot mold to a T and I don't doubt he will be a very nice regular season addition in trying to get us to the playoffs.  

My prediction if they sign him is he quickly becomes the team whipping boy but I agree that 90+ points should be very attainable if he and a 2C is added with Risto moving out.

• Like (+1) 1

Gardiner is flawed, but he’s a legitimate top 4 NHL defenceman who gets unfairly slammed. He’d be a good add.

But if he is replacing Risto’s cap hit, then I don’t have a clue how we are getting a 2C under the cap.

Unless it’s Cirelli and his $800000 entry level deal. ?

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Gardiner is flawed, but he’s a legitimate top 4 NHL defenceman who gets unfairly slammed. He’d be a good add.

But if he is replacing Risto’s cap hit, then I don’t have a clue how we are getting a 2C under the cap.

If it is Gardiner to Buffalo I'd have to believe one of Scandella or Hunwick is gone. And given both the RHD and LHD depth signings, maybe both.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

The Risto trade is coming 

On one hand this means we won't be taking the shell of Callahan, but on the other it probably diminishes the return we get from Tampa, if that is indeed where he's going

Also this means Point is being signed soon, which means Marner and the RFAs will probably follow

The Dog Days of hockey are soon to be over

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Living in the Great Satan I have taken in more leaf games than I care to admit hanging with friends.

On one hand Gardiner can be a tire fire come playoff time.  He's good for atleast one bad turnover per game (he's been my 'favorite' leaf the last two game 7's with the B's because of his giveaways).  I also really worry about his back issues.  

On the other hand he's a really good skating and puck moving D.  Fits the JBot mold to a T and I don't doubt he will be a very nice regular season addition in trying to get us to the playoffs.  

My prediction if they sign him is he quickly becomes the team whipping boy but I agree that 90+ points should be very attainable if he and a 2C is added with Risto moving out.

He definitely would as people would focus on his atrocious turnover or two per game instead of all the good stuff he does. Still, he would be a very nice upgrade on the left side and allow McCabe to play 3rd pair where he ideally belongs. 

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My only concern with Gardiner, should he sign to $5M or so, is his back. Contract isn't without risk. That said...

40 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

If it is Gardiner to Buffalo I'd have to believe one of Scandella or Hunwick is gone. And given both the RHD and LHD depth signings, maybe both.

Scandella is toast if we add Gardiner. As gone as gone can be. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

On one hand this means we won't be taking the shell of Callahan, but on the other it probably diminishes the return we get from Tampa, if that is indeed where he's going

Also this means Point is being signed soon, which means Marner and the RFAs will probably follow

The Dog Days of hockey are soon to be over

As soon as we signed Johansson, our ability to absorb Callahan's contract vanished anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

You think to Tampa specifically, now that they have moved out Callahan’s money, or just anywhere because some things are starting to happen?

The latter. I've never believed Risto was going to Tampa, just that he was going.

20 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He definitely would as people would focus on his atrocious turnover or two per game instead of all the good stuff he does. Still, he would be a very nice upgrade on the left side and allow McCabe to play 3rd pair where he ideally belongs. 

My only concern with Gardiner, should he sign to $5M or so, is his back. Contract isn't without risk. That said...

Scandella is toast if we add Gardiner. As gone as gone can be. 

Scandella is toast if the Sabres have any cap concerns regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Not much return for those two.  I'm thinking a 4th and a 7th if we're lucky.  But a hefty return is not the primary objective, is it?

I see Jake got married in 2017 to a woman named Lucy Cashin.  I'm not a believer in pre-nups, but with that name, it might have made me think twice.

Edited by Tondas
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

"Michael Russo said on the Russo-Souhan show that Jake Gardiner has a somewhat long term handshake deal in place with a team that has to move out a high priced defenseman to make his cap hit fit. And we know Buffalo's GM Jason Botterill has been in continuous talks with his agent."

A strong suspicion Gardiners coming to Buffalo once Risto is moved.

What part of this was an actual quotation from Russo?

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

That was my first thought. I'm nervous about the Riso trade if it not only doesn't involve us replacing his salary in said trade, but is also allocating cleared space to Gardiner. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That was my first thought. I'm nervous about the Riso trade if it not only doesn't involve us replacing his salary in said trade, but is also allocating cleared space to Gardiner. 

In all fairness, it just fits the narrative for moving Risto and the apparent defense rebuild Botterill has under taken. Could be another team though to, but given those persistent reports that Buffalo is in the thick of the Gardiner talks all through July, it just seems to fit.

My fear isn't Gardiner off hand, he's a decent 3/4 puck moving LHD imo. My fear is what the return is for Risto. Man, I am really interested in whether it's a stand alone 1 for 1 type deal, a package of players scenario or a combo of players and picks. Also, the LW and LHD positions are heavy NHL caliber players, like more than we have slots for. Now the LW situation I could see slotting a player on the RW, but with 7 NHL caliber (and yes, I know, I know, that's loose with the term caliber ? ) something's gotta give there, no? And LHD, as well...….?

Just all seems to fit is all. Then again, I could be looking at the girl in the cut off shorts walking by the CVS while across the street I completely missed the 4 babes in triangle bikini's walking by the water...………...so who knows. It's just a hunch ?

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

In all fairness, it just fits the narrative for moving Risto and the apparent defense rebuild Botterill has under taken. Could be another team though to, but given those persistent reports that Buffalo is in the thick of the Gardiner talks all through July, it just seems to fit.

My fear isn't Gardiner off hand, he's a decent 3/4 puck moving LHD imo. My fear is what the return is for Risto. Man, I am really interested in whether it's a stand alone 1 for 1 type deal, a package of players scenario or a combo of players and picks. Also, the LW and LHD positions are heavy NHL caliber players, like more than we have slots for. Now the LW situation I could see slotting a player on the RW, but with 7 NHL caliber (and yes, I know, I know, that's loose with the term caliber ? ) something's gotta give there, no? And LHD, as well...….?

Just all seems to fit is all. Then again, I could be looking at the girl in the cut off shorts walking by the CVS while across the street I completely missed the 4 babes in triangle bikini's walking by the water...………...so who knows. It's just a hunch ?

Trading Risto+McCabe+Smith for a top-6 forward under long term control is an easy win. We have too many defenders and 3rd line forwards.  We need top 6. It’s a perfect move. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.