2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Marner still has to be willing to sign, I bet they already talked it all out with him and his agent.  If not then taking on clarkson's contract was the dumbest move they could have done.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2019/7/23/20707803/maple-leafs-ltir-david-clarkson-and-everything-you-need-to-understand-this-trade-kyle-dubas-pridham

Seems I know nothing and the leafs made a brilliant move.

40 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The article is good. It states they could sign him right now, the question is, why haven't they?

The Leafs are going to try and low ball Marker down to 9 or 10 mil imo. He won't bite and is steadfast at 11.5 is my guess.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

True.  Figured the deal was to free up cap space by having a cheaper backup goalie, but Sparks is making league minimum. 

Haven't looked at Clarkson's contract, maybe they were afraid of cap recapture should he retire?  (Again, not sure if it was a potential issue, but if the contract was heavily front loaded, that MIGHT have been a consideration.)

It's amazing how quickly things turned from last year when fans were worried about Toronto losing a goalie or two on waivers.  That wound up happening, then they trade the one guy left and their entire farm system now amounts to a group of very young kids (one of which is apparently the guy from the band Anthrax) and possibly Neuvirth on a PTO.

On a side note, I always want to call him Danny Neuvirth.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Just once I'd love to see the chaos that would follow if Horton and Clarkson were magically "healed" and got the itch to play again on the same day.

That seemed to happen to Lupul but they shut him up quickly.

I know they have tons of money but at least they're the ones paying Clarkson again since they signed him to that ridiculous deal.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Do you see that word right before 50 in my post??

Yeah.  I had hoped you wouldn't catch it!  I'll call it artistic license.  It was a good show back in the day.  At my age, I'm just glad I know how to embed images.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 7/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, French Collection said:

That seemed to happen to Lupul but they shut him up quickly.

I know they have tons of money but at least they're the ones paying Clarkson again since they signed him to that ridiculous deal.

Except I think Clarkson is only owed like a million or so of his contract IIRC, it was front loaded so it mostly just cap hit with little cash needing to be spent.

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Except I think Clarkson is only owed like a million or so of his contract IIRC, it was front loaded so it mostly just cap hit with little cash needing to be spent.

I had Cap Friendly open, so I pulled his contract terms.   Not sure how the signing bonus works.  Could be paid each year. 

image.thumb.png.2cb2a4f4d50db78428175c7ac0de8d33.png 

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Clarkson is owed 3.25M in actual dollars this year.  Not sure if the bonus had already been paid or not.  If it had he's only owed 1M

This breaks it down pretty well ...

“Remember the number $13 million,” Friedman said. “That’s basically what Toronto’s just done. Between David Clarkson’s contract, which has a year left on it and the bonus has been paid so most of the money has been paid out, Nathan Horton’s contract, which has a year left on it, and I think they will also probably have McDermott and Hyman on long-term injury at the start of the season — although both of those guys are coming back — between all four of those guys they’ve got about $13 million at the beginning of the season in dead money. So depending on what happens with Marner and depending what happens with anything else they want to do, right before the season they’re going to get as close to the cap as they can, then they’re going to put all these guys on LTIR. It’s going to give them some flexibility to do some things with their roster. Basically, they bought extra cap space to keep flexibility at the beginning of the year.”

Leafs currently have a cap hit of $82.3 million – $735k above the $81.5 ceiling – but can exceed the threshold by as much as 10 percent ($92.05 million) before opening night rosters must be submitted in October. Since Clarkson and Horton will both be on LTIR for all of next season, their combined $10.55 million cap hits will technically not count against the salary cap threshold, which should open up enough wiggle room to re-sign Mitch Marner longterm. But it’s still going to be an insane juggling act.

"Michael Russo said on the Russo-Souhan show that Jake Gardiner has a somewhat long term handshake deal in place with a team that has to move out a high priced defenseman to make his cap hit fit. And we know Buffalo's GM Jason Botterill has been in continuous talks with his agent."

A strong suspicion Gardiners coming to Buffalo once Risto is moved.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

"Michael Russo said on the Russo-Souhan show that Jake Gardiner has a somewhat long term handshake deal in place with a team that has to move out a high priced defenseman to make his cap hit fit. And we know Buffalo's GM Jason Botterill has been in continuous talks with his agent."

A strong suspicion Gardiners coming to Buffalo once Risto is moved.

If we add Gardiner and a 2C for Risto there is no reason to not be a 90+ point team. Gardiner’s contract will probably upset a good bit of people, myself included, but I’ll take anything for the playoffs at this point

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.