2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

3 hours ago, shrader said:

All I can think of is all those people who say we can't ever make a trade with Toronto.

We can but I have no interest in doing so with any player of note. There is little worse than making a significant trade with a division rival and coming out the loser. 

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Apparently between Clarkson and Horton both on LTIR, the Leafs will get an additional $10.5 mil in cap space once the season starts. They will probably wait til the season begins to announce a Marner extension....

But if they have the space now on the roster/cap to fit Clarkson, all Clarkson going on LTIR does is give you that space back. It's not like they are getting access to addition cap by having more LTIR guys. 

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But if they have the space now on the roster/cap to fit Clarkson, all Clarkson going on LTIR does is give you that space back. It's not like they are getting access to addition cap by having more LTIR guys. 

True.  Figured the deal was to free up cap space by having a cheaper backup goalie, but Sparks is making league minimum. 

Haven't looked at Clarkson's contract, maybe they were afraid of cap recapture should he retire?  (Again, not sure if it was a potential issue, but if the contract was heavily front loaded, that MIGHT have been a consideration.)

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The LTIR crap needs to be addressed next CBA

Well, the way the Leaves are allowed to manipulate it does.  That's for sure.  I don't know for sure, but I can't recall any other team pulling this kind of blantant shenanigans.

Only in The Great Satan will this be a thing.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Well, the way the Leaves are allowed to manipulate it does.  That's for sure.  I don't know for sure, but I can't recall any other team pulling this kind of blantant shenanigans.

Only in The Great Satan will this be a thing.

Tampa pulled it with Callahan, Chicago pulled it with Hossa, Montreal will pull it with Weber, and Minnesota will pull it with Parise and Suter

Edited by WildCard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Tampa pulled it with Callahan, Chicago pulled it with Hossa, Montreal will pull it with Weber, and Minnesota will pull it with Parise and Suter

Callahan looks like it (I can't remember was he not playing at the time?).  Hossa, I don't think is the same thing.  And the other are not likely, as the rules behind this nonsense are going to change in the next CBA, that I agree with you on.  I think that both of them in Minny will finish their contracts.

I'm sort of serious with the offer sheet to Marner thing.  If someone offer sheeted him now, wouldn't the Leafs have to match it now and the LTIR  wouldn't work since they would need to be under the Cap before the season started, thereby making the LTIR moot, or at least putting the Leafs in jam.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Callahan looks like it (I can't remember was he not playing at the time?).  Hossa, I don't think is the same thing.  And the other are not likely, as the rules behind this nonsense are going to change in the next CBA, that I agree with you on.  I think that both of them in Minny will finish their contracts.

We'll see, but honestly Hossa's LTIR deal is widely regarded as BS

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

I'm sort of serious with the offer sheet to Marner thing.  If someone offer sheeted him now, wouldn't the Leafs have to match it now and the LTIR  wouldn't work since they would need to be under the Cap before the season started, thereby making the LTIR moot, or at least putting the Leafs in jam.

Marner still has to be willing to sign, I bet they already talked it all out with him and his agent.  If not then taking on clarkson's contract was the dumbest move they could have done.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tondas said:

Well sure, but it takes two. There isn't any indication Marner wants to leave. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.