2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

From everything I've read Sullivan and Kessel either hated each other or at the very least couldn't communicate whatsoever. While Tocchet with Arizona apparently got along with Phil K during his time with the Penguins. Arizona isn't that far away from a playoff spot so this could pay immediate dividends for them if Phil brings his A game

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Hope not, we need teams around us to get weaker, not stronger 

Even with Duchene, Moe-ray-all is one Price knee injury away from being a favorite to win the next lottery.

(Of, course, should he stay healthy that's a team the Sabres will have difficulty surpassing, Duchene or no. Columbus, the Aisles, & the Canes are the teams likely to slide.)

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

This is why theres no point complaining about cap space and contracts if it gives your team a chance to get better. There's always a team that's willing to take your bad contracts when you need the space.....

It’s a balancing act.  There are always ways to get under the cap when you need to, but that might mean trading away assets to ditch a bad contract or loosing legitimately good players because you can’t afford to pay them.

Edited by Curtisp5286

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

It’s a balancing act.  There are always ways to get under the cap when you need to, but that might mean trading away assets to ditch a bad contract or loosing legitimately good players because you can’t afford to pay them.

But losing a 1st round pick for a playoff team to take a bad contract off your hands isn't that bad when the pick is in the 20s....

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

But losing a 1st round pick for a playoff team to take a bad contract off your hands isn't that bad when the pick is in the 20s....

Yeah, like I said, you can do it, but you want to avoid it whenever you can.  The Marleau contract is a good example.  The day it was signed everyone was thinking it was a bad idea, and Toronto ended up paying a 1st to get rid of the last year of it.  They would have been better off not signing him. 

Yeah, like I said, you can do it, but you want to avoid it whenever you can.  The Marleau contract is a good example.  The day it was signed everyone was thinking it was a bad idea, and Toronto ended up paying a 1st to get rid of the last year of it.  They would have been better off not signing him. 

Not if you talk to the young core of that team who thought of him as a mentor and father figure. I don't think the Leafs regret it if it had any kind of positive impact on Matthews, Marner and the rest.....

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not if you talk to the young core of that team who thought of him as a mentor and father figure. I don't think the Leafs regret it if it had any kind of positive impact on Matthews, Marner and the rest.....

If their young players needed a Dad, they should have signed a grizzled vet to play on the 3rd line and act as a billet family for $3M or something.  They wouldn’t have had to give up a 1st just to ditch him 2 years later.  

That’s just my opinion though.  Maybe I’m wrong and the Marleau contract and subsequent cap dump was an amazingly smart series of events.

If their young players needed a Dad, they should have signed a grizzled vet to play on the 3rd line and act as a billet family for $3M or something.  They wouldn’t have had to give up a 1st just to ditch him 2 years later.  

That’s just my opinion though.  Maybe I’m wrong and the Marleau contract and subsequent cap dump was an amazingly smart series of events.

Well their young stars have said it was a good things for them and they have been in the playoffs. They didn't want to get rid of him but he asked to go back closer to home and the Leafs needed more cap space to sign one of their young stars 

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, Marner got to see the business side of things. Hope he sucks every last penny from them so that they have to ice 10 guys on ELCs.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, Marner got to see the business side of things. Hope he sucks every last penny from them so that they have to ice 10 guys on ELCs.

From all of his comments, it sounds like he is looking after himself first, which is funny cause he is from the area and all you ever hear around here is that all the local kids dream every day of having the chance to play for the Leafs 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.