2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

NHL and other athletes collectively bargain.   In doing so they give up certain rights for the ability to sign long term, and in many circumstances guaranteed contracts.    If an actor/singer/dancer loses their ability to perform, they would experience an immediate loss of income.   Unlike Vlad Sobotka, who by all observation cannot play competitive hockey anymore, but still collects $3.5M in a salary.  For that, he is sentenced to live in Buffalo.   Kind of a fair trade off, wouldn't you say? 

Oh, these poor,poor players! Is there anything we can do to help. I feel for these poor owners also. Let's pool our money (taxes) and make sure they're properly clothed (stadiums/arenas). Oh, and why don't we spend a little to advertise for them (sports merchandise). Sorry you have to live in Buffalo will 6 million help ease your pain?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

NHL and other athletes collectively bargain.   In doing so they give up certain rights for the ability to sign long term, and in many circumstances guaranteed contracts.    If an actor/singer/dancer loses their ability to perform, they would experience an immediate loss of income.   Unlike Vlad Sobotka, who by all observation cannot play competitive hockey anymore, but still collects $3.5M in a salary.  For that, he is sentenced to live in Buffalo.   Kind of a fair trade off, wouldn't you say? 

All true.  I don’t think it’s unfair to the player.  Not really.  Never actually said anything bad about the system.  I was just pointing out that Trouba had basically no choice that he was in Winnipeg, so when life happens and he really needs to be living somewhere else, don’t be upset that he forced the team’s hand.  Doesn’t make him a bad guy and seems like the team did right by him.

Edited by Curtisp5286
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

All true.  I don’t think it’s unfair to the player.  Not really.  Never actually said anything bad about the system.  I was just pointing out that Trouba had basically no choice that he was in Winnipeg, so when life happens and he really needs to be living somewhere else, don’t be upset that he forced the team’s hand.  Doesn’t make him a bad guy and seems like the team did right by him.

Well he didn’t have to stay in Winnipeg. Just ask Patrik Berglund. 

1 minute ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Haha, yes.  He didn’t need to stay in Winnipeg.  In fact, he didn’t stay in Winnipeg.  We all have options.

You mean I can leave Winnipeg? I have a choice? That's not what my birth certificate says. 

1160625.jpg

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

That’s an interesting choice of pictures given how that episode ends. Fits in really well with the Trouba story

One of the best endings of a Simpsons episode. 

Doesn't fit exactly with Trouba though as he left, but I get what you are saying. He definitely "did it for her."

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Marleau traded to Carolina with a conditional 1st for a 6th.  https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-trade-patrick-marleau-hurricanes/  No Salary retained.

Subban to the Devils for Santini, another prospect and 2 2nd rd picks.  https://nypost.com/2019/06/22/devils-acquire-pk-subban-from-predators-in-massive-steal/ No salary retained.

JT Miller traded by TB to Van for a 2020 conditional 1st, a 3rd and a goalie prospect. https://www.wfla.com/sports/tampa-bay-lightning/lightning-trade-forward-jt-miller-to-canucks/2092855788

Strike one trade target off our list.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

PK Subban. He’s got a boatload of talent. So, why is he moved after 3-4 years on a team? Cap hit? Big personality? Lockerroom/teammate issues? It’s odd...

Cap hit 

And the fact that he'd already nullified his NMC. So Nashville could trade him anywhere. 

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

Sabres are in a poor place even if Jbot wanted to pull the trigger with an offer sheet.  Since we don't have our 3rd round choice, we're limited to a contract offer between $2,113,717 - $4,227,437, or greater than $10,568,590 .  I left out the zero compensation offers below $1,395,053.  Never figured 3rd round choices were so valuable regarding offer sheets.

8 hours ago, Tondas said:

Sabres are in a poor place even if Jbot wanted to pull the trigger with an offer sheet.  Since we don't have our 3rd round choice, we're limited to a contract offer between $2,113,717 - $4,227,437, or greater than $10,568,590 .  I left out the zero compensation offers below $1,395,053.  Never figured 3rd round choices were so valuable regarding offer sheets.

You don't think that Carolina would trade us back our third-round pick so that we could then offer sheet Aho?!

?

16 minutes ago, carpandean said:

You don't think that Carolina would trade us back our third-round pick so that we could then offer sheet Aho?!

?

That would be a boss move from us though. If we did that there would be no doubt which of our teams was the alpha and which was the beta

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Apparently barely adequate middle six centres can be had for parts.

Jason better by frying big fish because even a Soderberg is starting to look pretty good right now.

I like these trades.. because I would think Soderberg wouldn't be a bad choice.

So given what Arizona gave up.. what would be the equivalent Sabres offer and would it make sense for Colorado?  Clearly the pick is the pick.  Who's the Cannaughton equivalent?

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

I like these trades.. because I would think Soderberg wouldn't be a bad choice.

So given what Arizona gave up.. what would be the equivalent Sabres offer and would it make sense for Colorado?  Clearly the pick is the pick.  Who's the Cannaughton equivalent?

Scandella maybe?

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Scandella maybe?

Salary?  $4M vs. $1.3M?  I think other than salary it would be possible.  Is giving up Scandella 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have to think we'd have been able to beat that offer easy, without it being particularly painful. 

Which hopefully means Botterill has a more meaningful center trade brewing! 

See, thats the thing.  It's easy to say it.  But can we propose a trade that would be similar that Colorado would have accepted?  I think they were going for a D that's a UFA so they can clear the decks for the following year.  They seem like they could take on $4M no problem...  the Sabres could retain too.  So yeah, you hope if there's something else it would be good or else I think you judge Botterill on missing out on this opportunity (or explain why he would not be interested in Soderberg).  I mean, he's a UFA after this year as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.