2019 Summer Trade Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He’s a strictly defensive defenseman who is showing his age. Fletcher gave up a 2nd and 3rd to a Cap Strapped Team opening up 3.8 Million in Cap Space. 

This will allow AV to play Veterans and suppress the ice time of his younger D Man. Not the best scenario in my opinion. 

Could Gostisbehere shake loose for a buy low deal?

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

With Trouba?  Hardly.

Their prospect pool looks better and they are about to add Kakko.  In addition they have great goaltending.  They are also in a way easier division.  If I’m a betting man they make the playoffs before us.  

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Looks like Trouba's fiancee's medical residency had a lot to do with why he wanted to leave Winnipeg.  https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/personal-decision-for-trouba-jets-werent-the-issue-for-departing-defenceman

“Her career is as important as my career. We both are passionate about different things and our goal from a couple of years back was we wanted to make this work. And we decided we wanted to make this work. This is part of it, to be realistic with you.

“From a life standpoint, that’s what I decided in the end. I’m going to marry the girl and I want her to be happy and for her dreams to be fulfilled. She’s worked extremely hard to get where she is with schooling and the time she’s put in. I want her to see her be successful just as much as I want to be successful

I’ve got a whole lot of respect for him for this statement. It encompasses much of what it means to be a man, to me at least.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Lots of talk about getting Miller from Tampa. I don’t really know much of him.  He was pretty highly thought of in ny and then disappointed in Tampa?  What would we be getting here?  Good second line centre?

He's not going to blow anyone's doors off, but he's solid in every phase of the game, can play anywhere in the top-6 (excluding 1C), and has a reasonable contract. There's really not anything to dislike about him, and I love the fit for what we need. He had 5 straight 20-goal seasons (including his split year between NY and Tampa) before having a down season this year where he got pushed down the depth chart. Bring him to me! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Lots of talk about getting Miller from Tampa. I don’t really know much of him.  He was pretty highly thought of in ny and then disappointed in Tampa?  What would we be getting here?  Good second line centre?

Not in the ROR sense.

Decent 2, great 3, and certainly an upgrade for us.

Pretty big guy, versatile, can play tough or skill game and play centre or wing. Can give you 20 goals and 50 points.

Consistency has wavered. Bigger, more talented but less dependable than Hecht (and a natural centre) but has the potential to be similar in the sense of being a real useful utility knife.

Easy to picture him holding down the fort as the 2C until Casey is ready, then sliding over to a top,6 wing, or a 3c slot.

He’d be a good get.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not in the ROR sense.

Decent 2, great 3, and certainly an upgrade for us.

Pretty big guy, versatile, can play tough or skill game and play centre or wing. Can give you 20 goals and 50 points.

Consistency has wavered. Bigger, more talented but less dependable than Hecht (and a natural centre) but has the potential to be similar in the sense of being a real useful utility knife.

Easy to picture him holding down the fort as the 2C until Casey is ready, then sliding over to a top,6 wing, or a 3c slot.

He’d be a good get.

Sounds like a guys most Sabres fans would dislike, much like Jochen until his last year or two. 

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I like him as a fit for what Buffalo needs right now.  Can be an ok 2nd line C.  If Mitts pushes him down, he would be a very good 3rd C. If there is someone else to play 3rd C, he could also play wing on any of the top 3 lines, LW or RW.  A very versatile player.  Signed for 4 more seasons, ages 26-29.  In his 4 full NHL seasons, he has 43, 56, 58, 47 points and 22, 22, 23, 13 goals.  

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He's not going to blow anyone's doors off, but he's solid in every phase of the game, can play anywhere in the top-6 (excluding 1C), and has a reasonable contract. There's really not anything to dislike about him, and I love the fit for what we need. He had 5 straight 20-goal seasons (including his split year between NY and Tampa) before having a down season this year where he got pushed down the depth chart. Bring him to me! 

He didn’t have 5 straight 20 goal seasons, just 3 (his first 3 full NHL seasons) but I agree with everything else.  Bring him in!

54 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I like him as a fit for what Buffalo needs right now.  Can be an ok 2nd line C.  If Mitts pushes him down, he would be a very good 3rd C. If there is someone else to play 3rd C, he could also play wing on any of the top 3 lines, LW or RW.  A very versatile player.  Signed for 4 more seasons, ages 26-29.  In his 4 full NHL seasons, he has 43, 56, 58, 47 points and 22, 22, 23, 13 goals.  

He didn’t have 5 straight 20 goal seasons, just 3 (his first 3 full NHL seasons) but I agree with everything else.  Bring him in!

Yikes. You know it's been a long couple of days when you can't read a Hockey-Reference page properly. No clue how I managed that ?

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’ve got a whole lot of respect for him for this statement. It encompasses much of what it means to be a man, to me at least.  

I get mixed messages from his statement.

I respect the fact that he views his future wife's career as just as important as his.

Is he deflecting some of the blame onto her? Maybe not intentionally.

Does she want to be in New York for a specific hospital, school or just likes the bright lights. Her family in NYC?

His career has 5-10 years left, hers can last 30+. There needs to be a balance.

He just wanted out of Winnipeg last time, why NYR only now?

If it was New York or nothing as the Penguins article suggests,  what about the Isles, Devils or Flyers.

Good for him, just hurts small market teams even more. Lindros is still reviled for his choices in junior and the NHL.

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I respect the fact that he views his future wife's career as just as important as his.

Does she want to be in New York for a specific hospital, school or just likes the bright lights. Her family in NYC?

If it was New York or nothing as the Penguins article suggests,  what about the Isles, Devils or Flyers.

Good for him, just hurts small market teams even more. Lindros is still reviled for his choices in junior and the NHL.

Some of those things you mentioned, presumes a lot. How about just taking his comments at face value. And not add more than what’s actually being said. 

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Medical residencies have a matching process in which the resident is matched with a program.  They do not have full control over which program they get matched into.  This match happens in April and residencies begin in June.  They then have to stay with that program for 3+ years (can vary), to complete their residency.  Without completing this residency they can not practice as a fully licensed physician.  

If Trouba’s fiancé matched into a program in the NYC area, then that’s just where she is going to be for a few years.  She doesn’t have much choice.  She could just not become a practicing physician and toss away the 100’s of thousands of $$$ and years of her life that she spent getting to this point, but that doesn’t seem realistic.

I feel like Trouba stayed with the Jets as long as he was reasonably able to and in the end the Jets did right by him.  I swear, pro sports is the only profession where we place blame on individuals for trying to work in the location of their choice.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Medical residencies have a matching process in which the resident is matched with a program.  They do not have full control over which program they get matched into.  This match happens in April and residencies begin in June.  They then have to stay with that program for 3+ years (can vary), to complete their residency.  Without completing this residency they can not practice as a fully licensed physician.  

If Trouba’s fiancé matched into a program in the NYC area, then that’s just where she is going to be for a few years.  She doesn’t have much choice.  She could just not become a practicing physician and toss away the 100’s of thousands of $$$ and years of her life that she spent getting to this point, but that doesn’t seem realistic.

I feel like Trouba stayed with the Jets as long as he was reasonably able to and in the end the Jets did right by him. I swear, pro sports is the only profession where we place blame on individuals for trying to work in the location of their choice.

It being one of the small handful of professions where people pay to watch them ply their trade MIGHT have something to do with that.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

I feel like Trouba stayed with the Jets as long as he was reasonably able to and in the end the Jets did right by him.  I swear, pro sports is the only profession where we place blame on individuals for trying to work in the location of their choice.

Like I said, good for him.

Pro sports does put a spotlight on people's lives.

My employer and the employee union screwed up many lives by hiring hundreds of people from a small geographical area to staff 60+ work centres spread out up to 20 hours away from the hiring location. Everyone wants to return near home but the jobs are all in the "boonies". Hiring "corruption" has set company back and morale is at all time low.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It being one of the small handful of professions where people pay to watch them ply their trade MIGHT have something to do with that.

Sort of.  We pay pro athletes by buying tickets, merchandise, and media.  We pay musicians by buying tickets, merchandise, and media.  Yet musicians are free to go work wherever they please.  Work with whatever companies they please.  NHL players can not..  The pro sports leagues were set up for the teams to have nearly complete professional control over the players.  We are left with the crumbling remnants of that system.

Edited by Curtisp5286

9 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Sort of.  We pay pro athletes by buying tickets, merchandise, and media.  We pay musicians by buying tickets, merchandise, and media.  Yet musicians are free to go work wherever they please.  Work with whatever companies they please.  NHL players can not..  The pro sports leagues were set up for the teams to have nearly complete professional control over the players.  We are left with the crumbling remnants of that system.

Only a handful of teams would get star players in a no draft, full free agency league.

16 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

You referring to touring musicians or those that perform in a local orchestra?  If you are referring to the former, well, nobody cares about where those people live because they perform throughout a myriad of locations well outside that locale.  And often end up at "a venue near you" at some point.

And if you are referring to the latter, the people that are season pass holders and regular concert goers definitely care when those musicians pack up and move on to bigger groups.  Not a musician, but a conductor, Michael Tilson Thomas was one of the biggest rising stars back when he was a young conductor and the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra had him running the show.  People knew he would leave for bigger things, but they were very saddened and upset when he finally did leave.

Whether in performing arts or other arenas that people are paid to do what they do infront of a non-participating audience or in other walks of life; people do care about where the best ply their trade.  They don't particularly care as much where the lesser practictioners practice.  Yes, hockey fans care about where Trouba and others play; but does anybody here plan on getting bent out of shape should Johan Larsson leave Buffalo when he becomes an UFA?  Not really.  We might like Larry or not, but he's not one of the straws that stir the drink and people won't have a vested interest in where he goes.  But, if we could get McDavid to play for the Sabres; now THAT people will care about.

But (Sliding this back towards medicine as a singular example which is what brought the movement of athletes to mind; though the same to be said about medical professionals can also be said for good carpenters, plumbers, mechanics, and even hairdressers) if you've ever had a family physician or a physical therapist that was very good and had a "bedside manner" that worked for you and that person left your area, my guess is that you'd likely have been disappointed (at least) that they left and you do/did "care where they live."  It isn't a phenomenon isolated to only sports, but team sports is one of the very few professions where there is enough of a following of an individual player for that concern to be considered universal-ish. And where the stars decide to play DOES matter, at least for those that follow the sport.

And as mentioned, it isn't even universally related to sport.  Nobody (or very few at most) care where golfers, gymnasts, or NASCAR drivers live.  Because those athletes tour to ply their craft & people can watch them perform closer to their own homes.  Heck, they don't care where tennis players live either though they can only see them perform in a major in 4 cities throughout the entire world.

And even with athletes that play a team based sport, few fans care where they live in the off season.  Does Eichel stay in Buffalo through the summer or spend time with family in Boston?  No idea; but know where he spends his winter.  Same with Skinner, Reinhart, and the rest.

[Edit: just realized my reply swapped the discussion to more of a where they live rather than where they work focus, but expect the point is still decernable & don't have the time nor energy to retype all that with the appropriate focus.  Sorry.]

Edited by Taro T

NHL and other athletes collectively bargain.   In doing so they give up certain rights for the ability to sign long term, and in many circumstances guaranteed contracts.    If an actor/singer/dancer loses their ability to perform, they would experience an immediate loss of income.   Unlike Vlad Sobotka, who by all observation cannot play competitive hockey anymore, but still collects $3.5M in a salary.  For that, he is sentenced to live in Buffalo.   Kind of a fair trade off, wouldn't you say? 

15 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.