Sabres Development Camp Announced

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Because a good shot isn't having less than ten nice goals in a full season. If those were accurate representations of how dangerous his shot is, it'd be one thing, but he skies so many while waiting for those rare ones to come out that I think it's disengenuous to simply state Tage's shot is good. Stamkos can pick corners like that with that velocity....but the velocity is generated from elite form, not a 7 foot stick, and he is capable of replicating at a "good" level. Tage is far more likely to take a shot attempt that kills his team's possession as it skies over the bar and around the boards than he is to be remotely dangerous. 

A shot with that velocity and "apparent" pinpoint ability shouldn't be sub-7% on his career, but it is. Because it's not a good shot

I don't think it needs to be stated but I have no illusions TT well end up nearly as good as Stamkos (arguable one of the great goal scorers in the game).  I'm just saying that I think the shot could be very good one day.  Yes he gets leverage with his huge stick.  That's part of the appeal to him and not something that should be just dismissed.  He will always have that big long stick.  *no that's what she said jokes*

Edited by Derrico

Just now, Derrico said:

I don't think it needs to be stated but I have no illusions TT well end up nearly as good as Stamkos (arguable one of the great goal scorers in the game).  I'm just saying that I think the shot could be very good one day.  Yes he gets leverage with his huge stick.  That's part of the appeal to him and not something that should be just dismissed.  He will always have that big long stick.

Paging @inkman to the development camp thread.. 

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I don't think it needs to be stated but I have no illusions TT well end up nearly as good as Stamkos (arguable one of the great goal scorers in the game).  I'm just saying that I think the shot could be very good one day.  Yes he gets leverage with his huge stick.  That's part of the appeal to him and not something that should be just dismissed.  He will always have that big long stick.  *no that's what she said jokes*

Oh for sure, I just used Steven as an extreme example for what Tage needs to add to his shot for it to be considered good and a product of him being a good shooter, not a product of him being tall. I think he can get there, as it's purely a repetition thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Tage handled it pretty well, but he did make a couple ‘what they are saying about me” references.

It would suck to be constantly judged online the way we judge these players. Hope he can push out the noise, get stronger and learn how to process NHL speeds. Kid has great skills.

Not too worried about TT's psyche, he was rather outspoken for a young player in STL before the trade, I remember him saying he thought he was "pigeonholed" and wanted a bigger role. He's got confidence. 

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Really?  A 6'6 forward who has an unbelievable shot and really good hands?  Yes he has to figure out his release.  Yes he has to be stronger on his skates.  These are fixable qualities (I hope) and again, he's friggen 21 years old!!  Don't be spoiled by the Eichels and Matthews of the world.  It usually takes these guys some time to figure it out.  He showed me enough last year that he's on that path.  I have wayyyyyyy more confidence in TT being a difference maker than Nylander.

Have to agree, I'm not particularly high on Thompson's long-term viability as an NHL player but I don't think Nylander has the attitude to succeed at all. I don't normally venture down this road as you can't get inside their heads, but, my gut is Nylander needs a change of scenery. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

It is not a zero sum game... both have things to work on. Nylander needs courage... TT needs a brain... Both have it, they just need to see the wizard.

Maybe, with a Brain and Courage, one of them is a “Hart” winner!

22 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think Nylander lacks heart. Not so much courage. But it’s close.

Yeh but Nyls is not the tin man, he willingly takes hits... its the courage to take over... he has the strength.  Close call but think its courage.

7 hours ago, Derrico said:

Maybe I’m drinking the koolaide but instigators talking up Thompson leadership at development camp and saying how his hands, shot and size is unbelievable.  Apparently he’s working on his legs all summer to work on skating and positioning (maybe net front presence).  ROR return is garbage and I’m not rehashing it here.  But I have to remind myself he is still only 21 years old and has an unreal shot that takes too long to take.  If he can figure out the release and get stronger on his skates than I’m hopeful.  

If the sabres and not blues drafted TT and he’s a 21 year old tweener looking to take that next step then I feel we’re way more optimistic on his outlook then we currently are.

Actually, if we had drafted him (ie wasn’t exchanged for ROR) and he showed an identical development up until now, many of us would be trying to run him out of town. See Nylander. I’m glad we’re showing him patience. 

6 hours ago, Derrico said:

I will dole out the comedy whenst appropriate. Stick to hockey. Let me handle the dick jokes. ??

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh but Nyls is not the tin man, he willingly takes hits... its the courage to take over... he has the strength.  Close call but think its courage.

Dammit pick a wizard of Oz character and stick to it. He's the ***** tin man, scarecrow and lion all wrapped into one.

Oh and btw, oz never did give nothing to the tin man, that he didn't already have. ?

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, inkman said:

Dammit pick a wizard of Oz character and stick to it. He's the ***** tin man, scarecrow and lion all wrapped into one.

Oh and btw, oz never did give nothing to the tin man, that he didn't already have. ?

Just listening to that song, hence the reference... btw Alex is the lion and I am sticking to it... the Swedish yellow mane (his flow) and Swedish Coat of Arms1049px-Coat_of_arms_of_Sweden_(Greater).

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I really like this line.

We had same line in MODO Hockey,

Sniper(Per-Åge Skröder 10) - Center (Niklas Sundstrom, former NYR, played with Wayne Gretzky 24) - Magician (Mats Zucarello 36), incredible successful.

This could be that line for the Sabres

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.