Sabres Development Camp Announced

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Krueger's speech thing they pasted all over social media was pretty meh. I hope the guy can coach. 

I liked Tage's interview after his session. 

I agree, kinda came off as a young Matt Foley before his career derailed and he ended up living in a van down by the river.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t know anyone who’s not pulling for his success. Like you said, he’s young, and will continue to develop over the next several years.

Never underestimate the ability or desire of the Woesareuses and the Toldyasoes to find andy reasons nail themselves to their perpetual crosses. The complete and epic failure of Tage Thompson is surely part of their prophecy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Krueger's speech thing they pasted all over social media was pretty meh. I hope the guy can coach. 

It's not the second intermission of game 7 of the finals. It's opening day of an audition for younger/inexperienced players, some of whom whose future depends on their performance. Nothing wrong with a simple reinforcement to depend on and work with your teammates. It's part of the fabled winning culture and teamwork that this team has been trying to build for years. Save the big Al Pacino speeches for when it counts.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

My daughter watched that clip with me and was like “whoa, that was a nasty question.”

(It was phrased more politely, but basically “what’s it like like to suck while O’Reilly wins the Conn Smythe?”

I thought the same thing. I would never ask that to a player. If you have a question about the trade, wait for the availability of the guy who made it happen

Tage handled it pretty well, but he did make a couple ‘what they are saying about me” references.

It would suck to be constantly judged online the way we judge these players. Hope he can push out the noise, get stronger and learn how to process NHL speeds. Kid has great skills.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Am I imagining things or does he look a bit more built? 

It's a random and useless exercise I do each summer, but I look back at how the Sabres listed the height and weight of the repeat attendees. Most of the time... same height, same weight. No disintegrations.

But on occasion, we get some good tidbits. Like last year, Devante Stephens gained the most muscle mass by packing on 18 pounds between 2017 and 2018.

Here are my main highlights for this year's roster:

• Ryan Johnson grew to 6'0" between drafting/combine and dev camp.
  • Asplund gained 15 # since 2018 dev camp
  • Olofsson, Borgen, and Pilut all gained 8 # since 2018
  • But...  Samuelsson lost...  25 pounds! since the 2018 camp roster. He was 218 and is now listed at 193.

All FWIW and take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Tage handled it pretty well, but he did make a couple ‘what they are saying about me” references.

It would suck to be constantly judged online the way we judge these players. Hope he can push out the noise, get stronger and learn how to process NHL speeds. Kid has great skills.

Maybe I’m drinking the koolaide but instigators talking up Thompson leadership at development camp and saying how his hands, shot and size is unbelievable.  Apparently he’s working on his legs all summer to work on skating and positioning (maybe net front presence).  ROR return is garbage and I’m not rehashing it here.  But I have to remind myself he is still only 21 years old and has an unreal shot that takes too long to take.  If he can figure out the release and get stronger on his skates than I’m hopeful.  

If the sabres and not blues drafted TT and he’s a 21 year old tweener looking to take that next step then I feel we’re way more optimistic on his outlook then we currently are.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Derrico said:

Maybe I’m drinking the koolaide but instigators talking up Thompson leadership at development camp and saying how his hands, shot and size is unbelievable.  Apparently he’s working on his legs all summer to work on skating and positioning (maybe net front presence).  ROR return is garbage and I’m not rehashing it here.  But I have to remind myself he is still only 21 years old and has an unreal shot that takes too long to take.  If he can figure out the release and get stronger on his skates than I’m hopeful.  

If the sabres and not blues drafted TT and he’s a 21 year old tweener looking to take that next step then I feel we’re way more optimistic on his outlook then we currently are.

I just can't believe anything those yodles say

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

*glances at popular opinion of Nylander*

I honestly don't think we would be more optimistic. 

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

*glances at popular opinion of Nylander*

I honestly don't think we would be more optimistic. 

TT has shown much more potential IMO than Nylander.  He played a bunch of games for the Sabres and there was a stretch in the middle where he was playing pretty good hockey.  Nylander has never come close to showing that IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

TT has shown much more potential IMO than Nylander.  He played a bunch of games for the Sabres and there was a stretch in the middle where he was playing pretty good hockey.  Nylander has never come close to showing that IMO.

I have more hope in Nylander than Tage, simply because I have 0% faith in Tage

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I don't think there was any stretch that Thompson was playing well. He scored a few goals in a short period of time, but I don't re actual good hockey from him. 

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I have more hope in Nylander than Tage, simply because I have 0% faith in Tage

Really?  A 6'6 forward who has an unbelievable shot and really good hands?  Yes he has to figure out his release.  Yes he has to be stronger on his skates.  These are fixable qualities (I hope) and again, he's friggen 21 years old!!  Don't be spoiled by the Eichels and Matthews of the world.  It usually takes these guys some time to figure it out.  He showed me enough last year that he's on that path.  I have wayyyyyyy more confidence in TT being a difference maker than Nylander.

Edited by Derrico
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Derrico said:

Really?  A 6'6 forward who has an unbelievable shot and really good hands?  Yes he has to figure out his release.  Yes he has to be stronger on his skates.  These are fixable qualities and again, he's friggen 21 years old!!  Don't be spoiled by the Eichels and Matthews of the world.  It usually takes these guys some time to figure it out.  He showed me enough last year that he's on that path.  I have wayyyyyyy more confidence in TT being a difference maker than Nylander.

He can't skate, doesn't use his size, and has very limited hockey IQ. I get it's way too early to say for certain what he has, but Nylander is at least fast, has better hands, and has a good shot too. Tage barely hits the net on his shots half the time.

Notwithstanding a few incredibly flashy plays, based strictly on what I saw in Buffalo last year, Nylander is ahead of Tage.

They both have NHL hands and feet, but lack NHL engagement. Alex thinks the game at an NHL level - he moves himself and the puck to the right places most of the time. Tage does not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.