2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I'm surprised they're bringing Miller back. It's must be for dirt cheap.

The contract is 1 year 1M.  He's been solid when he gets in the net, and he's been a good mentor for the room.  He also stays in California for his family.  Plus, plus, plus. 

4 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

The contract is 1 year 1M.  He's been solid when he gets in the net, and he's been a good mentor for the room.  He also stays in California for his family.  Plus, plus, plus. 

Yeah 1 mil is hard to beat for a veteran goalie who hasn't totally washed out yet.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Marner's problem is that were anyone to give him an offer sheet they'd want 7 years for that kind of investment and asset cost.  What he seems to want is 11M per to take him up to UFA status.  It's smart for him to want that but the only place he will get that is from the Leafs and the Leafs would be silly to give it to him.

Not necessarily. If a team really wanted to screw the Leafs they could give Marner an offer sheet at $11 million per year for 4 years and if he signs it Toronto only has the option to match it as written or take the compensation. Since they likely match, Marner then gets top dollar and he gets to UFA status as soon as possible. I would love to see it happen, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That could theoretically happen, but the signing team would have to be OK with giving up 4 first round picks for only 4 years of service.  I don't see a team doing that.  In order to give up those 4 #1s I'd have to think a GM would want the full 7 years.

Which means your probably getting to $12.5 to $13 mil per.  Then the leafs may be in trouble trying to match and Marner would be enticed to sign.  Whether a team and gm think it’s worth it is another question. 

Just now, Derrico said:

Which means your probably getting to $12.5 to $13 mil per.  Then the leafs may be in trouble trying to match and Marner would be enticed to sign.  Whether a team and gm think it’s worth it is another question. 

I know you weren't being Sabres-specific, but that's roughly the figure we're paying Scandella, Bogo, and Sobotka. They're all off the books in a year. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I know you weren't being Sabres-specific, but that's roughly the figure we're paying Scandella, Bogo, and Sobotka. They're all off the books in a year. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'. 

I think with us it's the risk of those 4 unprotected 1sts.  I would rather somehow work out a deal with Toronto for more sure assets and a cost slightly less of 4 firsts.  You ask why Toronto would do that.  If Marner's ask is in that 12.5 to 13 neighborhood and leafs can't/won't go that far and few other teams will then it's possible.

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That could theoretically happen, but the signing team would have to be OK with giving up 4 first round picks for only 4 years of service.  I don't see a team doing that.  In order to give up those 4 #1s I'd have to think a GM would want the full 7 years.

And he'd actually have to want to sign that deal with the theoretical team that offers it.  Even if he knows Toronto automatically will match it, he's probably still not going to run the slight risk of winding up in Columbus if he has an unnatural fear of cannon blasts.

And the other thing we're missing in this discussion of "he'd be crazy not to take that deal" is that Toronto could possibly be playing games with how it's structured.  The classic example right now is the so called lockout protection.  Is that something they're not including right now?  I'm sure we can come up with a long list of possibilities for why it's not as straight forward as $11 million/year, 8 years.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I think with us it's the risk of those 4 unprotected 1sts.  I would rather somehow work out a deal with Toronto for more sure assets and a cost slightly less of 4 firsts.  You ask why Toronto would do that.  If Marner's ask is in that 12.5 to 13 neighborhood and leafs can't/won't go that far and few other teams will then it's possible.

Oh, there's definitely risk if we continue to suck. But ya know what? If we continue to suck with a core of Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin, Reinhart, Marner, and hopefully Mitts? We're doomed anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Sure.  However, if push comes to shove and he doesn't sign an 8-year deal this summer for $11MM or slightly more per year (assuming Toronto will move a little), IMHO it's a mistake.

Do you think Matthews made a mistake? I don’f.

I think he signs a record-setting deal when his 5-year deal expires and makes more over the next 15 years than any other player.

I get the risk of forgoing $33 million guaranteed money, but I don’t blame Marner for betting on himself.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Imagine offer-sheeting Aho instead

Sebastian and Sam feeding a young pup like Olofsson, talk about "protecting" a young player if by protecting you mean giving him the easiest time possible offensively 

I just heard a conversation on the radio yesterday about how they're lowballing everyone.  Neither goalie is exactly a world beater, but they're both going to walk because the owner refuses to pay anything.  But hey, they can always call Scott Darling back up.

They'll get it done with Aho, but it'll be interesting to see how long it takes and if as a result, he decides to go short term.  That cheapskate act is going to rub players the wrong way.  Hell, they're currently lowballing John Forslund (not that I can stand the guy) and he's been calling their games since the Hartford days.  They did it last year with their radio guy who had been with the organization even longer than Forslund, and he walked.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Imagine offer-sheeting Aho instead

Sebastian and Sam feeding a young pup like Olofsson, talk about "protecting" a young player if by protecting you mean giving him the easiest time possible offensively 

This or Point are the two that should be pursued eve more than Marner IMO.

Aho is so under appreciated and Carolina so cheap.

And Tampa has had way too many bargains. Make those bastards pay.

Just now, dudacek said:

This or Point are the two that should be pursued eve more than Marner IMO.

Aho is so under appreciated and Carolina so cheap.

And Tampa has had way too many bargains. Make those bastards pay.

Zactly. Marner's already making life miserable for Toronto should no other team lift a finger, we can make trouble for those other two.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you think Matthews made a mistake? I don’f.

I think he signs a record-setting deal when his 5-year deal expires and makes more over the next 15 years than any other player.

I get the risk of forgoing $33 million guaranteed money, but I don’t blame Marner for betting on himself.

Well, presumably Marner's deal will be less than $11MM per year if it's only 5 years.

As for whether Matthews made a mistake -- certainly it's a first-world kinda mistake, but yes.  I would've advised him to take the 8-year deal (assuming the AAV would''ve been in the neighborhood of $1.5MM to $2MM per year more for the 8-year deal).

Just now, nfreeman said:

Well, presumably Marner's deal will be less than $11MM per year if it's only 5 years.

As for whether Matthews made a mistake -- certainly it's a first-world kinda mistake, but yes.  I would've advised him to take the 8-year deal (assuming the AAV would''ve been in the neighborhood of $1.5MM to $2MM per year more for the 8-year deal).

I wish we could somehow quantify how much more a star-level player actually gets from endorsements in a market like Toronto.  I suggest that it significantly hedges the bet he made with less term, especially if you're comparing it to a market like, say, Phoenix.  But still, I wish we could get some sense on how much more that brings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.