2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

ESPN: Finally, if you were a betting man, are we seeing an offer sheet this summer?

Shero: I would bet you I don't know. And we say this every summer, too. I don't know. I really don't. I'd be just guessing, and I'm not a betting man, either. But I do know that if you're a team that has a cap situation ... I've been there, when I was in Pittsburgh, for a number of years. It's always in the back of your mind. You have to do your best to put yourself in the best possible situation. You're always thinking about that.

We all know what the CBA is. There is no gentleman's agreement. F--- that s---. When people say that, it's a lazy narrative, I'll tell you that. Really? Your ownership's competitive, GMs are competitive, and it's the buddy-buddy system? What the f--- is that? It doesn't mean something will or won't happen, but that's been the narrative for years, and I don't know why.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27006755/part-business-devils-gm-ray-shero-taylor-hall-no-1-pick-more

GmnQpPq.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Is that the new 'arbys deal' of 5x5 from years ago? (Briere?)

I always thought it would be great if a deal involving someone from Chicago was 25 or 6 to 4.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GoPre said:

Friedman says the Leafs have told Mitch Marner if he wants the big number ($11M AAV) he needs to sign for 8 years, Marner's camp is not prepared to do that.

I want to believe in an offer sheet. I really do. I just can't get past the million other opportunities GMs have had to use them and chosen not to. 

• Like (+1) 3

If Friedman is right and the Leafs are willing to pay him $11M per on an 8 year deal than they’ll match any offer sheet he gets on a shorter deal. So safe to say Marner isn’t going anywhere and it’s just a game of cat and mouse.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I want to believe in an offer sheet. I really do. I just can't get past the million other opportunities GMs have had to use them and chosen not to. 

I want to believe in a world where Botts somehow manages to clear enough cap space to offer sheet Marner, turning the Toronto media into an inferno of spite.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I want to believe in a world where Botts somehow manages to clear enough cap space to offer sheet Marner, turning the Toronto media into an inferno of spite.

Gotta get our second rounder back from Carolina, too

Never mind, its all firsts at that level

Edited by sabills

23 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If Friedman is right and the Leafs are willing to pay him $11M per on an 8 year deal than they’ll match any offer sheet he gets on a shorter deal. So safe to say Marner isn’t going anywhere and it’s just a game of cat and mouse.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going anywhere. I just want to see some team screw them on the cap. 

23 minutes ago, darksabre said:

We have enough space, he just won't do it. 

40 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Nope.  But if they're paying Nylander 8, Tavares 11, Matthews 11.5 and Marner 11 then that is a TON OF MONEY spent on forwards.  They're lucky they have Reilly at a good deal but it'll make some interesting decisions come guys like Kapenen and Kadri (if you wanted to go there which I don't).  Will they make some moves to improve the D.  Pretty tough for them to improve their obvious weakness with little space under the cap.  They may be the most interesting team to watch this offseason.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Would you really pay four 1st rounders for Marner, given our depth and future cap issues with paying Dahlin-Eichel-Marner?

9 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Nope.  But if they're paying Nylander 8, Tavares 11, Matthews 11.5 and Marner 11 then that is a TON OF MONEY spent on forwards.  They're lucky they have Reilly at a good deal but it'll make some interesting decisions come guys like Kapenen and Kadri (if you wanted to go there which I don't).  Will they make some moves to improve the D.  Pretty tough for them to improve their obvious weakness with little space under the cap.  They may be the most interesting team to watch this offseason.

Image result for burn it down gif south park

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.