2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

45 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Labanc signed for 1 year, $1 mil. San Jose has Meier, Hertl, and Labanc locked up for under $12 million in cap space. Offer sheets are a thing, these guys were RFAs this year (Meier, Labanc) and last (Hertl). Why do teams let the Sharks do this? 

I think it's a combination of fear and/or confidence. The fear is that they'll end up giving a good team a next great one by losing high draft picks or fear of the Sharks coming back and sniping one of their better players in future years or over confidant they can draft someone better. Personally I agree with you that teams should push the envelope more.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Labanc signed for 1 year, $1 mil. San Jose has Meier, Hertl, and Labanc locked up for under $12 million in cap space. Offer sheets are a thing, these guys were RFAs this year (Meier, Labanc) and last (Hertl). Why do teams let the Sharks do this? 

Same reason the Leafs can trade Marleau and Zaitsev thereby getting out of cap jail. Because other teams let them 

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Same reason the Leafs can trade Marleau and Zaitsev thereby getting out of cap jail. Because other teams let them 

At least when TO is dumping trash, there's only 1 GM required to go along with it.  When the Snarks re-sign their players for deals considered good back in the $60MM cap years, it takes all other 30 GM's to go along with it.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

So....   17 goals, 56 points, and a really good playoff run. Sure, he hit's FA faster. But this is preposterous.

27 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

So....   17 goals, 56 points, and a really good playoff run. Sure, he hit's FA faster. But this is preposterous.

I really dont understand it. It’s the most team-favourable contract I’ve ever seen. IKd love to hear the rationale. On the surface the agent should be fired and the PA should permanently ban him from representing their members.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

I really dont understand it. It’s the most team-favourable contract I’ve ever seen. IKd love to hear the rationale. On the surface the agent should be fired and the PA should permanently ban him from representing their members.

That's my immediate thought to all of this.  I don't care much about what the other teams are thinking.  I want to know what the player is thinking.

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's my immediate thought to all of this.  I don't care much about what the other teams are thinking.  I want to know what the player is thinking.

Doug W: "You are signing for 1 M right now or I'm trading you to Ottawa"

Sometimes players want a chance at success and it's not about how much money they could get.

It is possible that someone offered him something or talked about it and he said he was not interested.

It works out really well for the Sharks though.

8 hours ago, LTS said:

Sometimes players want a chance at success and it's not about how much money they could get.

It is possible that someone offered him something or talked about it and he said he was not interested.

It works out really well for the Sharks though.

I guess the choice could be to take $1mil to play for a team that was a cup contender last season or make $5mil for a bottom tier team that will be lucky to make the playoffs?

Teams aren't going to make RFA offers to guys that aren't potentially elite players.giving up assets to have to sign a FA isn't a favorable thing for many GMs. The teams with higher picks they would be willing to move are typically playoff teams with little cap space. The ones with cap space are typically the lower teams risking losing more valuable better picks.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I guess the choice could be to take $1mil to play for a team that was a cup contender last season or make $5mil for a bottom tier team that will be lucky to make the playoffs?

Teams aren't going to make RFA offers to guys that aren't potentially elite players.giving up assets to have to sign a FA isn't a favorable thing for many GMs. The teams with higher picks they would be willing to move are typically playoff teams with little cap space. The ones with cap space are typically the lower teams risking losing more valuable better picks.

But they should. An offer sheet for a Labanc level player is infinitely more likely to work than trying to poach an elite player, while simultaneously giving you a better player than you're likely to get outside of a really high draft pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/9/2019 at 11:00 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

But they should. An offer sheet for a Labanc level player is infinitely more likely to work than trying to poach an elite player, while simultaneously giving you a better player than you're likely to get outside of a really high draft pick. 

But GMs have to look at it is having to pay most likely overpay for a player to get a team to not match and give up draft picks for them. GMs are less likely to spend that capital on a player who is not elite or isn't considered anything special unless they see something in that player that everyone else has missed. Marner, Aho, Laine are guys that have proven a bit in the league and have potential to be very good high-end, possibly elite players in the league so teams may be willing to role the dice and give them a big salary while also giving away picks to acquire them.

57 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But GMs have to look at it is having to pay most likely overpay for a player to get a team to not match and give up draft picks for them. GMs are less likely to spend that capital on a player who is not elite or isn't considered anything special unless they see something in that player that everyone else has missed. Marner, Aho, Laine are guys that have proven a bit in the league and have potential to be very good high-end, possibly elite players in the league so teams may be willing to role the dice and give them a big salary while also giving away picks to acquire them.

Given what Labanc signed for, it does make you wonder how far the Sharks were willing to go.  Teams could have easily tripled that offer without it even approaching bank breaking status.  I'm the biggest preacher of how the player has to actually want to sign an offer sheet, but you'd have to think he'd at least listen if that much more was offered to him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.