2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I remain eternally grateful to Berglund for losing his love of the game. Thanks for the cap space, buddy! 

It reads to me like "please God somebody other than Edmonton and Vancouver call me."

I get the impression that it's St. Louis or bust for him.  So we all know which option it will be.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

I get the impression that it's St. Louis or bust for him.  So we all know which option it will be.

Yep.  There MAY be another team or 2 that he'd try going through the motions for, but the only place he WANTS to play on this side of the pond wears blue & gold near the big arch.

Just now, Taro T said:

Yep.  There MAY be another team or 2 that he'd try going through the motions for, but the only place he WANTS to play on this side of the pond wears blue & gold near the big arch.

I can't imagine being so attached to the state of Missouri.

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

TOR has $11m in cap space for Marner and Kerfoot.   Barrie is an UFA next season. 

Leafs would have $11.1 million plus Nathan Horton roster exemption of  $5.3 million totaling $$16.4 million to use for signing remaining players. Currently .  Still a tight squeeze 

Just now, Sabel79 said:

Give it a few years until they realize they let MTL give Aho an earlier route to UFA... Unless they've traded him already.  (They're absolutely going to trade him, nevermind)

Yeah I'm not sure how much I buy that tweet mostly for this reason

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If that's the case, why didn't they just do it on their own?  Their whole approach here makes no sense to me.  They've sent a very clear message that they aren't willing to offer their best player what he's actually worth.  That's going to ripple downstream.  You better believe that Svechnikov is watching this.  What's going to happen when they don't have the option to match the contract? 

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

Give it a few years until they realize they let MTL give Aho an earlier route to UFA... Unless they've traded him already.  (They're absolutely going to trade him, nevermind)

Exactly.  This didn't build much good will with Aho for the moment that negotiation comes around.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Yeah I'm not sure how much I buy that tweet mostly for this reason

1 hour ago, shrader said:

If that's the case, why didn't they just do it on their own?  Their whole approach here makes no sense to me.  They've sent a very clear message that they aren't willing to offer their best player what he's actually worth.  That's going to ripple downstream.  You better believe that Svechnikov is watching this.  What's going to happen when they don't have the option to match the contract? 

Exactly.  This didn't build much good will with Aho for the moment that negotiation comes around.

Clumsily gaslighting your fanbase whilst waving gigantic red flags directly at the rest of your players... how could that end badly?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

They're trying to save face.  It's becoming obvious around the league the owner is a cheap ass. 

Your point is spot on.  If that's the case, why didn't they just do it on their own.  I wish Carolina was in our division.  They have a decent core but their owner seems like a complete cheapskate.  If he's so concerned about money why is he trying to run an NHL franchise in Carolina??  Sell it to someone else who has the pockets.

Another topic but why is the NHL trying to expand the league when they have existing owners like this.

Edited by Derrico

1 hour ago, millbank said:

Leafs would have $11.1 million plus Nathan Horton roster exemption of  $5.3 million totaling $$16.4 million to use for signing remaining players. Currently .  Still a tight squeeze 

I am not wrong in calling them what I do.  Those handsome devils ... ?

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

They're trying to save face.  It's becoming obvious around the league the owner is a cheap ass. 

Your point is spot on.  If that's the case, why didn't they just do it on their own.  I wish Carolina was in our division.  They have a decent core but their owner seems like a complete cheapskate.  If he's so concerned about money why is he trying to run an NHL franchise in Carolina??  Sell it to someone else who has the pockets.

Another topic but why is the NHL trying to expand the league when they have existing owners like this.

They expand the league to grow the game. Would Austin Matthews be the player he is without the Coyotes? How many more kids are being exposed to hockey in the southern US because of some of these teams expanding there?

As for the owner and the team, at times he does sound cheap and then he throws a ton of money into a failing football league that folds a few weeks later (and has now asked for that investment back). I don't know if he is necessarily cheap, seems more inexperienced and a little dumb with his money. Sounds like someone who either was given the money or got rush to quick and didn't have to work hard to earn it. He wants to have fun but doesn't appear to know what's needed to run a team. It also seems like he is the small fish in a big pond, having enough money to acquire the team and run it, but not enough to really invest in it and have money laying around

From their response to this offer, it appears like they tried to make an offer thay was a bit of a low ball offer and then just decided to let another GM do the dirty work for them and negotiate a deal that they would just have to match.

If the Canes make a deal, they are looking at big money and full term, if someone else makes the offer as a RFA, they will be looking at something not overly crazy (very few teams are going to give up 4 1st rounders and a huge contract) which is probably going to limit the term to him being able to be a FA as soon as he is eligible. Financially this wasn't a horrible move for them (unless the owner doesn't have the liquid cash to pay his bonus), but PR wise it was bad because it looks bad on the team and players may not be accepting of how they went about this.....

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Good job by the GM laying some cover for the kid with the fanbase.

He'll be fine.  The Hurricanes will do one of their dopey celebrations after their first home win this season and all will be forgiven with the 125 rabid fans in attendance.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

From their response to this offer, it appears like they tried to make an offer thay was a bit of a low ball offer and then just decided to let another GM do the dirty work for them and negotiate a deal that they would just have to match.

This doesn’t make any sense at all though.  Why would you let another team do the ‘dirty work’ and dicatate the terms of a massive agreement you will have to honour?  Even if you’re an inexperienced and frankly dumb owner nobody would do this.

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

This doesn’t make any sense at all though.  Why would you let another team do the ‘dirty work’ and dicatate the terms of a massive agreement you will have to honour?  Even if you’re an inexperienced and frankly dumb owner nobody would do this.

Waddell is the only GM in the league who has to bill by the hour.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.