2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Panarin will also meet with the Islanders and Rangers this week as well 

It seems sort of like Florida isn’t confident it can fit Bob and Panarin into the fold. Coming into the offseason those both seems like surefire locks.

Selfishly, I’ve been wanting them to decide to move Hoffman. He’d be desire number one if he became available.

4. Pavelski declined visits in a couple of places where he thought the teams weren’t close enough to winning. All eyes are on Dallas and Tampa Bay, although Chicago may try to convince him to visit. The Stars are determined to add scorers.

....The Oilers are exploring everywhere for wingers: from Brett Connolly to Tanev to AHL MVP Daniel Carr. Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-short-term-deals-break-rfa-stalemates/

Edited by WildCard

One agent said there’s no point in looking at the idea without answering three things: Who has the cap space, who has the draft picks and who has the “will” to do it? The Islanders check those boxes, and a couple of opponents wondered about Buffalo — to rejuvenate the team and market. Most don’t expect them to happen. (One GM specifically said he hoped it didn’t happen to Toronto, because he didn’t want to see the Maple Leafs, angry, with extra cap room and picks.)

Also from 31 Thoughts 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One agent said there’s no point in looking at the idea without answering three things: Who has the cap space, who has the draft picks and who has the “will” to do it? The Islanders check those boxes, and a couple of opponents wondered about Buffalo — to rejuvenate the team and market. Most don’t expect them to happen. (One GM specifically said he hoped it didn’t happen to Toronto, because he didn’t want to see the Maple Leafs, angry, with extra cap room and picks.)

Also from 31 Thoughts 

NHL GMs continue to be the worst. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

It seems sort of like Florida isn’t confident it can fit Bob and Panarin into the fold. Coming into the offseason those both seems like surefire locks.

Selfishly, I’ve been wanting them to decide to move Hoffman. He’d be desire number one if he became available.

I'm kinda skeptical that Florida will bring in Bobrovsky having just drafted a top goalie.

As for Hoffman -- that sounds good.  I think JB has guys like Hoffman in mind -- i.e. Skinner-type moves where he can swoop in and pick up a quality veteran whose current team needs to make a move for contract reasons.

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Also from 31 Thoughts 

Someone has to break the ice here and begin to use offer sheets as a weapon to improve your team. Sure, there will be p....ed off GMs and vows for revenge, but it is a competition and offer sheets are available. Otherwise, just remove them.

Many of those GMs would no longer be in their chairs when they have cap space anyway.

It would require smarter use of cap space, bridge deals, ELCs etc... 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

The Oilers are exploring everywhere for wingers: from Brett Connolly to Tanev to AHL MVP Daniel Carr. Jesse Puljujarvi’s preference is to resume his NHL career outside of Canada; someplace a little quieter. Boston, Carolina and Tampa Bay are among the possibilities.

I'm calling BS on this part.

I understand wanting to continue his NHL career outside of Canada.  But 'someplace quieter' ... Boston etc.  IMO, there is not a 'quieter' NHL someplace than Edmonton.

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm calling BS on this part.

I understand wanting to continue his NHL career outside of Canada.  But 'someplace quieter' ... Boston etc.  IMO, there is not a 'quieter' NHL someplace than Edmonton.

You are looking at it from a National coverage level.

I think the players in Edmonton face immense scrutiny from the local press and fans.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Someone has to break the ice here and begin to use offer sheets as a weapon to improve your team. Sure, there will be p....ed off GMs and vows for revenge, but it is a competition and offer sheets are available. Otherwise, just remove them.

Many of those GMs would no longer be in their chairs when they have cap space anyway.

It would require smarter use of cap space, bridge deals, ELCs etc... 

Agree  100%.  Poaching in the business world happens every day without the fear of retribution.  It's in the CBA for a reason.  FFS use it.  Jbot, you owe it to your fans more that you owe it to a rival GM.

• Like (+1) 1

Look at the list of RFA.  Sure it rarely happens but there has never been close to as good of an RFA class as we’re seeing this summer.  I think we will see atleast one.  

Best anti-leaf situation is the threat of offersheet forces the leafs to pay $12 plus on a 5 year deal or we see an 8 year offer sheet at say 12.75 or $13 and then the leafs match.   

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I have a hard time believing a GM concerned with the culture of the locker room going anywhere within a 3000 mile radius of Mike Hoffman. 

GMs that are afraid of acquiring Mike Hoffman won’t be working in the league long.

List of players that did not receive qualifying offers and will be UFAs...

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/all/ufa-no-qualifying-offer

I'd look at a guy like Sven Andrighetto who had a positive TRpm on very good COL team.   Joseph Morrow would also be a good depth D, and maybe Ryan Hartman... both guys wil positive TRpm's on good teams.     

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Something something GMs who trade Selke centers ?

I generally agree with you, I would just be shocked if Hoffman is a guy Botterill would target. 

Wasn't he interested in Matt Duchene during the season?

The actual ex-Colorado cancer, a worse hockey player who will get more money at an older age? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Well if the Pizza man says it.

49 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

List of players that did not receive qualifying offers and will be UFAs...

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/all/all/ufa-no-qualifying-offer

I'd look at a guy like Sven Andrighetto who had a positive TRpm on very good COL team.   Joseph Morrow would also be a good depth D, and maybe Ryan Hartman... both guys wil positive TRpm's on good teams.     

I think it's fantastic you still use your TRpm's analysis. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.