2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Donskoi is my ideal middle six signing, but I do think he's going to cost too much given that he's more 3rd line than 2nd line in that middle six.

But we can afford to overspend on our middle 6 right now, yes?

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

We probably don't have a choice.

Indeed. We're either going to overpay for certainty or be left hoping for someone within the organization to step up to capably fill the role. Haven't had too much luck on the whole internal solution thing for quite some time. 

17 minutes ago, Derrico said:

@Randall Flagg - Awesome list.  He's not a free agent but where would you list Stasney if he were to come in a trade?  What section would you put him under?

I would really like Stastny as a stop-gap 2C. Now that Karlsson is re-signed, and since Cirelli is just my own pipe dream, Stastny might be my favorite realistic target to play this fall. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I would really like Stastny as a stop-gap 2C. Now that Karlsson is re-signed, and since Cirelli is just my own pipe dream, Stastny might be my favorite realistic target to play this fall. 

I haven’t even considered a trade for Cirelli given how unavailable his talent/contract ratio makes him, but your over-the-top love for him has kindled my dormant interest in Point.

If Brayden is stubborn in an ask for say $10 million, and Tampa is committed to a salary structure with Kucherov at the top that also respects the stature of Stamkos and Hedman, does the presence of Cirelli make the Bolts entertain a Point trade?

And given Tampa’s hole on RD and their known interest in Risto, are there reasonable seeds there for a trade?

Something built around Point and Foote for Ristolainen and Mittelstadt? That would save Tampa $5 million.

Edited by dudacek

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I haven’t even considered a trade for Cirelli given his talent/contract ratio, but your over-the-top love for him has kindled my dormant interest in Point.

If Brayden is stubborn in an ask for say $10 million, and Tampa is committed to a salary structure with Kucherov at the top that also respects the stature of Stamkos and Hedman, does the presence of Cirelli make the Bolts entertain a Point trade?

And given Tampa’s hole on RD and their known interest in Risto, are there reasonable seeds there for a trade?

Something built around Point and Foote for Ristolainen and Mittelstadt? That would save Tampa $5 million.

I think Point's trade value is top 10 in the league, unfortunately. I don't think we could get him without one of Eichel or Dahlin. 

The man scored 41 goals and 92 points in an ELC season, and every model that exists has him as a top 10 overall impact player in the league, sometimes top 5. 

I know he plays with Kucherov, but Kucherov didn't go from ~PPG to 100 point player and then to 128 points by dragging along Point - Point's ability (I stress, while being a legitimate shutdown center) allowed Kucherov to explode. 

Adding Foote just makes it harder to match value.

I'd be completely comfortable throwing a 12 mil offer sheet at point, without even thinking about it 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Only thing about Offer Sheets is those 1st rounders are unprotected.  How many trades do you see now of days where the first rounder is not protected?  Should a team that hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade be giving out offer sheets to anyone?  Those 4 firsts hold a lot of value.  I think I would focus on trading with teams who are right at the cap.  I think you can get some good players for a (relatively) cheap price.

Having said that, Point is one of the few I would look closely at offering it too.

25 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think Point's trade value is top 10 in the league, unfortunately. I don't think we could get him without one of Eichel or Dahlin. 

The man scored 41 goals and 92 points in an ELC season, and every model that exists has him as a top 10 overall impact player in the league, usually top 5. 

I know he plays with Kucherov, but Kucherov didn't go from ~PPG to 100 point player and then to 128 points by dragging along Point - Point's ability (I stress, while being a legitimate shutdown center) allowed Kucherov to explode. 

Adding Foote just makes it harder to match value.

I'd be completely comfortable throwing a 12 mil offer sheet at point, without even thinking about it 

I have no doubt about his value. Maybe it would take Mittelstadt Risto and next years unprotected first for Point alone.

I was more thinking along the lines of how paying Point his value affects Tampa, and is there a number that they can’t accept?

From what we are seeing this summer, Hedman is a $12 million player and Stamkos $10. They both took well under market value and know it. Would there be resentment created if Point gets a $90 million deal leading to guys like Johnson or Palat being asked to waive their NTCs? How do they fill their depth slots?

Knowing Tampa, Point signs a bridge for two years, $12 million. But if he goes all Marner on them - and he should - it creates a very interesting dynamic that I think would have to lead BriseBois into at least exploring a trade. Especially considering Cirelli’s potential for stepping into Point’s role.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I have no doubt about his value. Maybe it would take Mittelstadt Risto and next years unprotected first for Point alone.

I was more thinking along the lines of how paying Point his value affects Tampa, and is there a number that they can’t accept?

From what we are seeing this summer, Hedman is a $12 million player and Stamkos $10. They both took well under market value and know it. Would there be resentment created if Point gets a $90 million deal leading to guys like Johnson or Palat being asked to waive their NTCs? How do they fill their depth slots?

Knowing Tampa, Point signs a bridge for two years, $12 million. But if he goes all Marner on them - and he should - it creates a very interesting dynamic that I think what have to lead BriseBois into at least exploring a trade. Especially considering Cirelli’s potential for stepping into Point’s role.

I'm not good enough with the cap or contracts to have a worthwhile take on the bold. 

If it turns out the way of your last paragraph though, we'd better be first in line! 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

@tom webster still don't think GMs are stupid? (To be clear, I know what you're saying, but things like this are why people use "stupid" as shorthand for "bad.") 

I can't fathom thinking giving Myers this contract is a good idea. Holy smokes. 

Imagine going from Barrie to Myers. Woof

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I’ve been banging this drum for a minute. Give me Stastny.

Separately...

I don’t think anybody offer sheets Marner. They’ll talk to teams but in the end there isn’t really a point. You’ll piss off the Leafs (and probably other wimpy GMs) and you’ll either have to pay four first round picks or you’re going to have to slightly overpay Marner to pry him away.

The Leafs probably match anything short of $12 mill.  Anything above it is too much.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve been banging this drum for a minute. Give me Stastny.

Separately...

I don’t think anybody offer sheets Marner. They’ll talk to teams but in the end there isn’t really a point. You’ll piss off the Leafs (and probably other wimpy GMs) and you’ll either have to pay four first round picks or you’re going to have to slightly overpay Marner to pry him away.

The Leafs probably match anything short of $12 mill.  Anything above it is too much.

Also, instead of using 4 1st rounders and 12M+ on Marner, why not just use two of those and trade some team for a young player instead

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s in the ballpark of what I’d pay him if I’m being honest.

Like, if I’m entering through the ticket gates near home plate and this contract is in the last seat in the left field bleachers with an obstructed view and broken arm rests.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.