2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Weave said:

17 goals last season.  I didn’t see him play last season but if there is still gas in the tank he might be a good fit on Casey’s wing.

From what I have seen of him and read, he's pretty fried, or verrrrrrrrrry close to it anyway. 

If only those 2009-2011 Sabres teams could have had Simmonds...

10 hours ago, LTS said:

My guess is that he's going to get an Okposo like contract... and if that's the case I think you have to steer clear.  However, if he's coming in on the right contract I would take him.

I remain genuinely curious just how much the expansion draft and the upcoming collective bargaining expiration will have on how GMs are trying to build their teams.  Any NMC's handed out now have to be done with care unless you want to get screwed over at the expansion draft (like the Knights were able to do to teams).

I'm sure it will be chock full of stupid though.. as usual.

No way on him getting an Okposo deal. He’ll get a short term deal, maybe even one year.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

So we have to be talking to Vegas, right?

They needed to close Wild Bill before making their next move.

Running out of cap-crunch targets here.

I would assume Vegas is Botterill's primary trade target. There's players on that team that seem to fit Botterill. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So we have to be talking to Vegas, right?

They needed to close Wild Bill before making their next move.

Running out of cap-crunch targets here.

Vegas is $2 million over the cap before Karlsson's new deal gets added in; they have to make some moves.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I would assume Vegas is Botterill's primary trade target. There's players on that team that seem to fit Botterill. 

I'm not sure how they did it but they have so many legitimately good hockey players. I think they're easily in the WCFs if that major penalty doesn't get called. They were playing some of the best team hockey I've seen in a while. And I think they'll contend again next season. 

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

Vegas is $2 million over the cap before Karlsson's new deal gets added in; they have to make some moves.

What was Karlsson making before this contract?

Edited by Randall Flagg

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm not sure how they did it but they have so many legitimately good hockey players. I think they're easily in the WCFs if that major penalty doesn't get called. And I think they'll contend again next season. 

Think he was on a one-year prove-it deal at just over $5 million.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm no expert, just a regular CPA, but it seems that the way it works that is not as big an advantage as many think.  I think @TrueBlueGED explained it some time ago, but he used big words and numbers.

In baseball where you’re playing on that particular day decides your tax level. I would assume hockey is similar. But I don’t believe bonus payouts are applied like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

You are usually pretty good with these, so I'm keeping and eye on Vegas. 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm not sure how they did it but they have so many legitimately good hockey players. I think they're easily in the WCFs if that major penalty doesn't get called. They were playing some of the best team hockey I've seen in a while. And I think they'll contend again next season. 

I think they would have won the cup. 

• Like (+1) 1

Tiers of players that we could possibly court or sign:
Yes please
Artemi Panarin
Joonas Donskoi
Ryan Dzingel
Brett Connolly
Brandon Tanev
one of Jordie Benn or Patrik Nemeth or Tim Heed
Sure, fine
Matt Duchene
Sergei Bobrovsky
SJ Joes
Gus Nyqvist
Marcus Johansson
Anton Stralman
Zucc
Oscar Lindberg
Richard Panik
Gardiner
Michael Ferland
Ryan Carpenter
No
Corey Perry
Jason Spezza
Dion
Tyler Myers
Anders Lee
Dan Girardi
Marcus Kruger
Filppula
Troy Brouwer
Wayne Simmonds

I know I missed plenty of names but yeah. This is obviously not ranked in order of how good I think the players are, just their fits on Sabres teams of the next few years as UFA.

Edited by Randall Flagg

16 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Joonas Donskoi
Ryan Dzingel
Brett Connolly
Brandon Tanev

100% yes, especially those first two

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Once I factor in what I expect the player to cost, I struggle to come up with anyone in free agency that excites me.

Those 4 definitely should

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Those 4 definitely should

What might excite me: Dzingel or Donskoi 4 years @16 million,  Connolly 3 years @10 million

What they will get: Dzingel or Donskoi 5-6 years @25-30 million,  Connolly 4 years @16 million

Tanev might be available at something more reasonable.

Edited by dudacek

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What will excite me: Dzingel or Donskoi 4 years @16 million,  Connolly 3 years @10 million

What they will get: Dzingel or Donskoi 5-6 years @25-30 million,  Connolly 4 years @6 millon

I mean they put up some really solid numbers with garbage average time on ice. I'd love to overpay for those guys for that contract length; they'll be in their early 30s at the end of it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.