2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Kapanen is the player in Toronto worth stealing if possible.  Wouldn’t cost Risto (i.e. won’t really help them get better), and would transform our team. 

I wonder if you could convince Toronto to take pick 31 straight up for Kapanen. They have major cap issues and that would be a solid piece. I think that is light on our end but again, Toronto has issues. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wonder if you could convince Toronto to take pick 31 straight up for Kapanen. They have major cap issues and that would be a solid piece. I think that is light on our end but again, Toronto has issues. 

If 31 was enough to get Kapanen someone would've traded for him by now

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If 31 was enough to get Kapanen someone would've traded for him by now

I'm not entirely sure that's true. What Toronto will ultimately take when they know they have to trade him may be different than what they're willing to take before they know. I'm sure they'd prefer to still find a way to move Marleau and/or Kadri. 

38 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not entirely sure that's true. What Toronto will ultimately take when they know they have to trade him may be different than what they're willing to take before they know. I'm sure they'd prefer to still find a way to move Marleau and/or Kadri. 

Ya the GM came out saying he expects Marleau to be a leaf come October.  I'd be very surprised if this is true.  I think he's just trying increase the ask as everyone and their grandmother realizes it's strictly a cap dump.

25 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well, let's hope Dahlin doesn't fck us like this

The NHL could be a different landscape when he's up.  But that said, if Dahlin is that kind of player, then you have to consider letting him walk.  As great as any single player is, they are not worth destroying your cap structure.  Marner is not going to win the Leafs a championship by himself.  He didn't even get them out of the first round.  No player is that good.  Just like the Sharks going all stupid with Karlsson.

If Dahlin demands big bucks and you can get 4 first rounders?  I'd take it.  Those first rounders can be kept for flipped back to build your TEAM. 

Frankly, I think Marner is a jackhole for the way he's handling things.  Certainly his right, but he's not endearing himself to me.  If I were the Leafs I would hope someone makes him an offer... it sets them up real nice for the next few years while solving their salary problems.

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

The NHL could be a different landscape when he's up.  But that said, if Dahlin is that kind of player, then you have to consider letting him walk.  As great as any single player is, they are not worth destroying your cap structure.  Marner is not going to win the Leafs a championship by himself.  He didn't even get them out of the first round.  No player is that good.  Just like the Sharks going all stupid with Karlsson.

If Dahlin demands big bucks and you can get 4 first rounders?  I'd take it.  Those first rounders can be kept for flipped back to build your TEAM. 

Frankly, I think Marner is a jackhole for the way he's handling things.  Certainly his right, but he's not endearing himself to me.  If I were the Leafs I would hope someone makes him an offer... it sets them up real nice for the next few years while solving their salary problems.

Wait until you see year 2 and 3... because Dahlin is going to be...

32 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well, let's hope Dahlin doesn't fck us like this

If I'm Marner, I take the 8 years and $88 mil.  No telling what the future holds.  He could get injured and not be the same player (e.g. Bobby Orr).  Get the money while you can.  I think he could make $88 mil last a lifetime.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Alex Nylander, send them that schlub for someone who actually can play at the NHL level. 

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Nashville is letting Wayne Simmonds sign elsewhere, per Poile.

17 goals last season.  I didn’t see him play last season but if there is still gas in the tank he might be a good fit on Casey’s wing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

17 goals last season.  I didn’t see him play last season but if there is still gas in the tank he might be a good fit on Casey’s wing.

My guess is that he's going to get an Okposo like contract... and if that's the case I think you have to steer clear.  However, if he's coming in on the right contract I would take him.

I remain genuinely curious just how much the expansion draft and the upcoming collective bargaining expiration will have on how GMs are trying to build their teams.  Any NMC's handed out now have to be done with care unless you want to get screwed over at the expansion draft (like the Knights were able to do to teams).

I'm sure it will be chock full of stupid though.. as usual.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.