2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

28 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

6 mil a season?

Yes

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Without hesitation. 

Really? I'm kinda amazed by that. I love Marner but I'd rather have a consistent pipeline and some depth

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Yes

Really? I'm kinda amazed by that. I love Marner but I'd rather have a consistent pipeline and some depth

I don't think the four 1sts precludes that from happening. We'll have #7 this year and late 1sts aren't exactly impossible to acquire. I'd much rather have Marner long term than keep the late 1sts just to use them on a series of rentals like Pittsburgh or something. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't think the four 1sts precludes that from happening. We'll have #7 this year and late 1sts aren't exactly impossible to acquire. I'd much rather have Marner long term than keep the late 1sts just to use them on a series of rentals like Pittsburgh or something. 

"keeping the late 1sts"

Sir, the Sabres have the fewest wins in the entire NHL...since they ended the tank and tried to start winning. What on god's green earth makes you think those first rounders will be late 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

"keeping the late 1sts"

Sir, the Sabres have the fewest wins in the entire NHL...since they ended the tank and tried to start winning. What on god's green earth makes you think those first rounders will be late 

The same stuff that makes people think Risto will radically change his game under Krueger, Bogo will be healthy after this injury, Okposo will be fine after he has a healthy offseason to train, etc etc etc. 

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Is he though? Matthews will potentially only be there 5 more years, Tavares will only get older, and he holds all of the power. 

IMHO, unless he is deeply unhappy being a Leaf, it's nuts to turn down the 4th-highest salary in the NHL and a guaranteed $88MM.  He'll be 30 when the contract expires and probably still eligible for another good contract.

Yes, salaries will rise over the 8 years, and he could conceivably game it so that he gets, say, $10MM per year x 5 years, and then another contract at, say, $14MM per year x 8 years, but a lot of things have to go right in order for that to happen.  E.g. it's quite possible that the next CBA doesn't allow for 8-year contracts, or that he gets hurt, or a bunch of other contingencies.

If I were his agent or father I would advise him to take the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

IMHO, unless he is deeply unhappy being a Leaf, it's nuts to turn down the 4th-highest salary in the NHL and a guaranteed $88MM.  He'll be 30 when the contract expires and probably still eligible for another good contract.

Yes, salaries will rise over the 8 years, and he could conceivably game it so that he gets, say, $10MM per year x 5 years, and then another contract at, say, $14MM per year x 8 years, but a lot of things have to go right in order for that to happen.  E.g. it's quite possible that the next CBA doesn't allow for 8-year contracts, or that he gets hurt, or a bunch of other contingencies.

Those are good points, but what if he takes the 8 year contract now, and is just waiting for more money? Instead of $11M/year, he wants $11.6, which is what Matthews has

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He’s nuts if he wants to play in Toronto and is willing to take an offer that exceeds “the going rate” for a player of his caliber. He’s not nuts if his goal is to maximize his earnings.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s nuts if he wants to play in Toronto and is willing to take an offer that exceeds “the going rate” for a player of his caliber. He’s not nuts if his goal is to maximize his earnings.

Right, but taking a shorter-term deal won't necessarily result in greater earnings.  It might, if things go correctly, but there are plenty of risk factors that could result in a worse outcome.

(Unless your meaning was that by turning this deal down, he'll get a better 8-year offer this summer from Toronto -- that is quite possible.)

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Right, but taking a shorter-term deal won't necessarily result in greater earnings.  It might, if things go correctly, but there are plenty of risk factors that could result in a worse outcome.

(Unless your meaning was that by turning this deal down, he'll get a better 8-year offer this summer from Toronto -- that is quite possible.)

Im saying both. Whatever his goal, he’s negotiating and this is a tool.

Personally, I don’t think he wants to leave Toronto, I think he just wants a contract that will recognize him as the elite player he thinks he is.

44 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Marner's problem is that were anyone to give him an offer sheet they'd want 7 years for that kind of investment and asset cost.  What he seems to want is 11M per to take him up to UFA status.  It's smart for him to want that but the only place he will get that is from the Leafs and the Leafs would be silly to give it to him.

Leafs gave that exact same contract to Mathews.  Is Matthews better than Marner?  You could argue a little but Marner is uber talented and hasnt had some of the health issues Matthews has.

Edited by Derrico

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

If Friedman is right and the Leafs are willing to pay him $11M per on an 8 year deal than they’ll match any offer sheet he gets on a shorter deal. So safe to say Marner isn’t going anywhere and it’s just a game of cat and mouse.

Arbitration a possibility?

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Well, then.  It's going to be a long summer for the Leaves.

The talent on Toronto scares the hell out of me.  The contracts being handed out have me smiling ear to ear.  If Marner maxes out what he can make they will be in such a tough spot.  Watch for several trades out of Toronto this summer.  Some to upgrade the roster and several to shed salary.  Consensus seems to be find a way to upgrade the d and if they still suck Babcock could be gone this year.  

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

The talent on Toronto scares the hell out of me.  The contracts being handed out have me smiling ear to ear.  If Marner maxes out what he can make they will be in such a tough spot.  Watch for several trades out of Toronto this summer.  Some to upgrade the roster and several to shed salary.  Consensus seems to be find a way to upgrade the d and if they still suck Babcock could be gone this year.  

I see another Willie Nylander situation brewing.

• Like (+1) 1

Marner pushing to get $11M over 5 seasons is the right move and I’m surprised more players don’t use the power they have to do that. He’d become a free agent in his absolute prime while getting paid at a market right in the meantime.

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Marner pushing to get $11M over 5 seasons is the right move and I’m surprised more players don’t use the power they have to do that. He’d become a free agent in his absolute prime while getting paid at a market right in the meantime.

His prime will be those 5 years really

Edited by WildCard

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Im saying both. Whatever his goal, he’s negotiating and this is a tool.

Sure.  However, if push comes to shove and he doesn't sign an 8-year deal this summer for $11MM or slightly more per year (assuming Toronto will move a little), IMHO it's a mistake.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

He’ll have just turned 27 when he becomes a free agent.

Right. Pretty sure @Randall Flagg or @TrueBlueGED have linked the articles before that show for most a player is in his prime around 23-27

Not sure if this is the one or not

https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/03/23/a-new-look-at-aging-curves-for-nhl-skaters-part-1/

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.