Are the Sabres switching to Royal Blue for their Jerseys?

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, steveoath said:

As a newcomer to sabres fandom, can someone explain why royal blue is important? (Not trolling, just ignorant of history).

It's not. Buffalo fans just can't let anything go and the obsession with going back to royal blue uniforms is only part of it. Also see zubaz pants, wide right, no goal, the Hasek trade, Briere and Drury walking, and griping about Darcy Regier and video scouting. These things still get brought up all the time yet when people want to gripe about the current GM and his botching of the O'Reilly trade less than a year ago you get people crying about us crying and being told to let it go. It's Not happening.

Edited by Drunkard
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

It's not. Buffalo fans just can't let anything go and the obsession with going back to royal blue uniforms is only part of it. Also see zubaz pants, wide right, no goal, the Hasek trade, Briere and Drury walking, and griping about Darcy Regier and video scouting. These things still get brought up all the time yet when people want to gripe about the current GM and his botching of the O'Reilly trade less than a year ago you get people crying about us crying and to let it go. It's Not happening.

The jerseys are objectively better. This has nothing to do with a Buffalo mentality, they're just good looking sweaters

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, WildCard said:

The jerseys are objectively better. This has nothing to do with a Buffalo mentality, they're just good looking sweaters

I agree but it fits right in with the rest of the examples. It's ingrained into the ethos of Buffalo fandom. We take grudges to the grave.

Like hating Brad Park. I think I had just turned 2 years old when he eliminated the Sabres with an OT goal in the playoffs and I definitely didn't see it live but I still hate the guy. Why? Because I'm supposed to. 

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

It's not. Buffalo fans just can't let anything go and the obsession with going back to royal blue uniforms is only part of it. Also see zubaz pants, wide right, no goal, the Hasek trade, Briere and Drury walking, and griping about Darcy Regier and video scouting. These things still get brought up all the time yet when people want to gripe about the current GM and his botching of the O'Reilly trade less than a year ago you get people crying about us crying and being told to let it go. It's Not happening.

lol this post is wide right

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Simply put, it's just that the Sabres jerseys from 1970 to 1996 featured a much more vibrant shade of blue.

e4ccef6005698e76f5b8f4e461db71de.jpg

They changed it in 1996-97, despite literally no one wanting that.

And somehow, 23 years of fan screaming later, they STILL haven't put it back to the way it was.

It is, perhaps, the most protracted avoidance of easy fan service in the history of fan service.

No one except the wicked witch.  And what Dougie's squeeze wanted, Dougie's squeeze got.

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

Be careful about generalizing about Sabres fans. It’s frowned upon. I think what you said pertains to only a vocal minority. And there is nothing wrong with being upset with certain aspects, plays, trades etc.. it’s part of being a fan of a team. At least that’s my opinion. Not meant to upset anyone.

i would personally love the Royal Blue to return.

Edited by Zamboni

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

As a newcomer to sabres fandom, can someone explain why royal blue is important? (Not trolling, just ignorant of history).

Hold my beer ...

Why is Royal Blue so important, indeed.

Why white Stars on a field of blue, and amber waves of grain?  Why celery and blue cheese?  Why God’s green Earth?  Why Le Bleu, Blanc et Rouge?  Why The Red Army?

Huntley and Brinkley, peanut butter and jelly, Orville and Wilbur, Roosevelt and Churchill, The Buffalo Sabres and Royal Blue.

Come sit beside me, beautiful naif, in this hard plastic seat.  Mind not the mountain man to your left, pressed against your shoulder and spilling into your seat.  I’ll buy you a fizz less Pepsi, served in a waxed paper cup, along with a bag of stale peanuts.  Look across the ice and count the buttons on the shirt of the man sitting directly across from you.  Sway to the organ in the bosom of our hostess, the sensuous granite Grande Dame.  We are 16,433.  We are one, living through our heroes in Royal Blue and White.  They are new toys and old, generation after generation.  Thrills and chills, agony and ecstacy.  Our heroes fight our battles until the end inevitably comes, and the Royal Blue is passed on.  We remain.

More of my life is in the rear view mirror than in the front windshield.  I see my Elysium.  There, I drink Ambrosia from a cup fashioned in layers, over time.  I wear Royal Blue, like I did on day one.
Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Our expansion cousins revealed their anniversary season uniforms yesterday.

Minor tweaks to the current jersey, plus a variation of the original and the late ‘80s blacks with the skate.

10A7DEB7-98D7-4316-95D5-188F60B4E5AF.jpeg

I bet bet big money we’ll do something similar and we’ll see royal blue at some point this year.

Didn’t @CallawaySabres have inside info that was the plan?

Don't really care if it's just a third jersey and not a permanent switch to Royal. 

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe as an alternate, but I know there's something about only being able to change the primary jersey every 3 years and we changed it when the league switched manufacturers. Maybe an exception can be granted, but I'm not expecting a change to the primary this year.

Vancouver tweaked their unis with the adidas change and still made changes this year, so I don't buy into that 3 years thing being enforced to the extent we couldn't have made the change this off-season.

Which makes me think, if they didn't go to Royal for the main unis this year, when they are celebrating the 50th, why would they go to them next season when they've proven to be so tone deaf with regards to said uniforms. 

Edited by Thorny

I just like royal blue better than midnight blue.  It looks too much like we are trying to have a black uniform without being the clichéd black uniform.  Besides, it also reminds me of the slug uniforms.  Considering that  I think of said uniform and logo every time I see our President's comb-over, I could do with as little of that reminder as possible.

17 hours ago, darksabre said:

Simply put, it's just that the Sabres jerseys from 1970 to 1996 featured a much more vibrant shade of blue.

e4ccef6005698e76f5b8f4e461db71de.jpg

They changed it in 1996-97, despite literally no one wanting that.

And somehow, 23 years of fan screaming later, they STILL haven't put it back to the way it was.

It is, perhaps, the most protracted avoidance of easy fan service in the history of fan service.

That's the thing, it's such a highly demand easy fix and they still are too incompetent to this point. You would have thought the winter classic jersey would have clued them in when it had good sales but nope, still too dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1

Conspiracy theory: the Sabres are getting much more attention from their fans and bang for the PR buck by holding the royal blue over everyone's head than just making the sweaters royal blue. How long did we wait to find out who shot J.R.?

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's the next thing to harp on when the Sabres finally change to royal blue and still stink?

Doug Allen!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.