Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

Just now, Ogre said:

That UPL is in waaaaay over his head in the pros. He is going backwards. How is that helpful to anyone involved? Just look those numbers. He’s only had 2 games that were serviceable. The rest are terrible.....10 saves on 13 shots last night, 15 saves on 18 shots the previous game and 15 saves on 18 shots two games prior to that one...How long am I supposed to be patient when I’m spending hard earned money and driving 40 minutes one way to watch these games? 

UPL’s development is in no way related to the money you spend or the miles you drive.

He needs to adjust to the AHL level.  The ECHL is a very low level of pro hockey that real prospects rarely touch.  It’s been 10 games.  Be patient.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

UPL’s development is in no way related to the money you spend or the miles you drive.

I disagree. It doesn’t affect the money that I’ve already spent for my tickets this year but it does affect the money that I will potentially spend on tickets next year.

52 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I disagree. It doesn’t affect the money that I’ve already spent for my tickets this year but it does affect the money that I will potentially spend on tickets next year.

I completely respect your indecision of spending money next year. Absolutely. I’m a Sabres STH. So I get it. 

THAT dilemma in no way, will or should affect how the Sabres treat and develop UPL next season. What’s best for him, and his development will be the decision. Regardless of if you or 5,000 fans decide to not spend a dime and one min in that arena to watch the Amerks. He will develop at a pace (a good pace hopefully) with or without fans in seats.

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I completely respect your indecision of spending money next year. Absolutely. I’m a Sabres STH. So I get it. 

THAT dilemma in no way, will or should affect how the Sabres treat and develop UPL next season. What’s best for him, and his development will be the decision. Regardless of if you or 5,000 fans decide to not spend a dime and one min in that arena to watch the Amerks. He will develop at a pace (a good pace hopefully) with or without fans in seats.

Then for all the gripping about how bad Donner was for the team, it will ultimately be Pegula that kills the Amerks.

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

I get that.

I’m saying that just because you aren’t pleased, that doesn’t mean that returning to the ECHL is best for UPL’s development.  I prioritize the young players development over the desire of the Rochester fans for W’s.

I actually wish UPL had played the entire year in the ECHL just to learn the geometry of NA ice surfaces.  Then, next year, he could learn the speed of the AHL.

However, maybe his career will be like Ryan Miller's in the NHL.  Does anyone remember his first few disasters for the Sabres?  Giving up on a 20 year old just seems overly pessimistic.

He's a kid off his first helpful but significant surgery, learning the NA rinks, shuttling between teams/cities in a foreign country (likely without family), playing at a level above his current capacity (World Juniors and CHL and ECHL are well and good) but not the AHL. To coin a phrase: UPL K^6 will be fine and remains a top goalie prospect.

As to having an extra bad game on just 13 shots faced --- we've seen that time and again in the NHL where a goalie faces no shots in 10 minutes and then boom...  it's in the net. A sustained (if not overwhelming) attack seems like it's easier on the goalie to remain sharp.

Once Ullmark is healthy again, the goalie structure goes back to sanity. JJ in the A; K^6 in the ECHL. (Barring a trade shakeup)

16 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I actually wish UPL had played the entire year in the ECHL just to learn the geometry of NA ice surfaces.  Then, next year, he could learn the speed of the AHL.

However, maybe his career will be like Ryan Miller's in the NHL.  Does anyone remember his first few disasters for the Sabres?  Giving up on a 20 year old just seems overly pessimistic.

UPL played the entire season in Sudbury last year for exactly that reason. And his numbers in Cincy this year have been excellent.

He might be off to a shaky start in Rochester, but he hasn't been thrown to wolves in terms of not having shown himself ready for the opportunity.

And a sucky part of being a fan of any minor league team is putting up with the growing pains of the prospects, then watching them leave just when they start to get it.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

It’s a developmental minor league.

It doesn't absolve the parent team from putting an entertaining product on the ice.  Not to mention the kid's confidence.  Getting your head caved in every night isn't gonna further his development.  Right now Hammond should be getting the Lion share and UPL filling in where needed.  It'll help him adjust to the pro life style.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

UPL played the entire season in Sudbury last year for exactly that reason. And his numbers in Cincy this year have been excellent.

He might be off to a shaky start in Rochester, but he hasn't been thrown to wolves in terms of not having shown himself ready for the opportunity.

And a sucky part of being a fan of any minor league team is putting up with the growing pains of the prospects, then watching them leave just when they start to get it.

How is letting in 25% of the shots helping his development.  He is working on his neck muscles watching puck after puck fly into the net?

Just now, inkman said:

How is letting in 25% of the shots helping his development.  He is working on his neck muscles watching puck after puck fly into the net?

He’s facing better shots from better players and getting a chance to learn and adapt. 
He’s played nine games. Is he costing the Amerks a playoff spot? Serious question.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It doesn't absolve the parent team from putting an entertaining product on the ice.  Not to mention the kid's confidence.  Getting your head caved in every night isn't gonna further his development.  Right now Hammond should be getting the Lion share and UPL filling in where needed.  It'll help him adjust to the pro life style.  

I’m not advocating to let him fail perpetually for a year and a half.  Just that he probably should stay in the AHL to adjust to that level.  He isn’t going to learn as much in the echl.  He’s already shown that he can be good there.

Maybe Hammond should get more starts for a bit.  

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

He’s facing better shots from better players and getting a chance to learn and adapt. 
He’s played nine games. Is he costing the Amerks a playoff spot? Serious question.

He's definitely costing the team.  They are 7 points out of first in the division, with 3 teams leap frogging the Amerks in the conference seeding.  Its not killing their chances but they are sinking in the overall standings.  

1 hour ago, inkman said:

He's definitely costing the team. 

Imagine being one of those guys out there Saturday getting their ***** crushed on the boards all night to outshoot their opponents 34-13. First two shots the Monsters have in the game are in the net, you play your nuts off to crawl back in to have the very first shot in OT blast by the kid. JC! Developmental if you ask me. This does no one any good.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Imagine being one of those guys out there Saturday getting their ***** crushed on the boards all night to outshoot their opponents 34-13. First two shots the Monsters have in the game are in the net, you play your nuts off to crawl back in to have the very first shot in OT blast by the kid. JC! Developmental if you ask me. This does no one any good.

So it’s similar to the Sabres and Hutton.

7 hours ago, WildCard said:

I have a large group going this Friday, 10+. Is it cheaper/better to buy the tickets online ($25/per after fees) or go through will call?

29 minutes ago, Ogre said:

There’s a group discount with 10 or more people. Not sure how much of a discount but they also acknowledge your group on the Jumbo....please call your group the WildCards....

https://www.amerks.com/page/Group Pricing

I had meant to quote you originally. It’s not like they’re in danger of selling out so I’m sure you’ll have zero trouble getting enough for Friday night.