Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

Yea, I appreciate any updates too. I only get to watch 3  or 4 games a season so any news and videos are much appreciated. Glad that Mitts is continuing to hum along.

Besides Mitts getting points, how has he looked the last 3 games? Rather pedestrian? Or engaged and one of the better forwards for most of the game?

18 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yea, I appreciate any updates too. I only get to watch 3  or 4 games a season so any news and videos are much appreciated. Glad that Mitts is continuing to hum along.

Besides Mitts getting points, how has he looked the last 3 games? Rather pedestrian? Or engaged and one of the better forwards for most of the game?

Mitts looked angry tonight. Not sure if he’s frustrated about the situation, or has been told by Tails/Ralph to play aggressive, but he was hitting and shoving. 

He was engaged most of the game, and was typically visible when he was out there. Still has things to work on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Mitts looked angry tonight. Not sure if he’s frustrated about the situation, or has been told by Tails/Ralph to play aggressive, but he was hitting and shoving. 

He was engaged most of the game, and was typically visible when he was out there. Still has things to work on. 

Agreed. He's fired up.  He hasn't been dominating but he wasn't invisible like he was his first 5 games. 

9 hours ago, inkman said:

Agreed. He's fired up.  He hasn't been dominating but he wasn't invisible like he was his first 5 games. 

Sending him down is as much of a mental move as it is a performance based one.  Hopefully that side of the move is starting to work.  People set the bar way too high, but hopefully they can salvage him as a middle 6 player.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Sending him down is as much of a mental move as it is a performance based one.  Hopefully that side of the move is starting to work.  People set the bar way too high, but hopefully they can salvage him as a middle 6 player.

Still very much expect him to be middle 6 with a reasonable chance he ends up a good 2nd liner.  Playing 1/2 a season as a 2C when he should've been given sheltered minutes and time on the 2nd PP all year really set him back.

Playing primarily with a pouting Rodrigues and an underperforming Sheary this year didn't exactly do him any favors either this year.  (He also had a fair amount of time with the snakebite version of Vesey.)  Had Sheary been putting forth the effort he has the past couple of weeks would've helped the mental aspect of the game greatly for Mitts.

Leave him down through February and then reevaluate weekly whether to simply let him ride out the year in Ra-cha-cha or put him back into the 3rd scoring line (4C) role that he should've been ready for to start this season.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Still very much expect him to be middle 6 with a reasonable chance he ends up a good 2nd liner.  Playing 1/2 a season as a 2C when he should've been given sheltered minutes and time on the 2nd PP all year really set him back.

Playing primarily with a pouting Rodrigues and an underperforming Sheary this year didn't exactly do him any favors either this year.  (He also had a fair amount of time with the snakebite version of Vesey.)  Had Sheary been putting forth the effort he has the past couple of weeks would've helped the mental aspect of the game greatly for Mitts.

Leave him down through February and then reevaluate weekly whether to simply let him ride out the year in Ra-cha-cha or put him back into the 3rd scoring line (4C) role that he should've been ready for to start this season.

I’m one hundred percent sure his issues are mental, not just confidence but commitment to the game. A lot of guys think they are giving their all when they really are not. I’ve made no secret of the fact that I don’t believe being in AHL really helps development but one thing that can’t be argued. It can be a shock when that first paycheck comes. Sometimes that’s all a guy needs to kick start him. Unfortunately, you never know if it’s a temporary or permanent thing.

Its been said ad nauseum, he’s still young enough to give us hope and there is no doubt that him becoming a legitimate number two center would be huge.

40 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m one hundred percent sure his issues are mental, not just confidence but commitment to the game. A lot of guys think they are giving their all when they really are not. I’ve made no secret of the fact that I don’t believe being in AHL really helps development but one thing that can’t be argued. It can be a shock when that first paycheck comes. Sometimes that’s all a guy needs to kick start him. Unfortunately, you never know if it’s a temporary or permanent thing.

Its been said ad nauseum, he’s still young enough to give us hope and there is no doubt that him becoming a legitimate number two center would be huge.

Not knowing him personally, can't speak towards commitment.  But do agree that the kick in the pants might have been what he needed to realize that work is required to stay at the NHL level.  Not convinced that he wasn't working either, it could simply have been frustration that was contributing to him shutting down a bit this year after the disaster that last year turned into.

You are speaking to the choir on the AHL not necessarily being needed for development.  (Though the majority of players do need it, definitely all don't.)  And really believe that had Mittelstadt been used properly last year rather than spending 1/2 the season getting Eichel's rookie usage (which he still won't be ready for next season; Eichel's a special breed of cat) he wouldn't have needed to spend time in Ra-cha-cha this season.

53 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You are speaking to the choir on the AHL not necessarily being needed for development.  (Though the majority of players do need it, definitely all don't.)  And really believe that had Mittelstadt been used properly last year rather than spending 1/2 the season getting Eichel's rookie usage (which he still won't be ready for next season; Eichel's a special breed of cat) he wouldn't have needed to spend time in Ra-cha-cha this season.

If you are implying that Mitts got heavy mins in the first half of 2018-19, that’s not really true.

Just 13:13 before the all star break compared to 13:50 after.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

If you are implying that Mitts got heavy mins in the first half of 2018-19, that’s not really true.

Just 13:13 before the all star break compared to 13:50 after.

Heavy minutes, not particularly.  Getting placed on the 2nd scoring line IS far from sheltered usage.  And that was where he predominantly was in the middle portion of the season.  He started the year primarily centering the 3rd scoring line and ended there as well.  But he spent faaaaar too long at 2C while the season was still in the balance and his development suffered for it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Heavy minutes, not particularly.  Getting placed on the 2nd scoring line IS far from sheltered usage.  And that was where he predominantly was in the middle portion of the season.  He started the year primarily centering the 3rd scoring line and ended there as well.  But he spent faaaaar too long at 2C while the season was still in the balance and his development suffered for it.

I don’t know about that.  I think he was about as sheltered as was possible.  He was the 9th forward by avg ES TOI and he led the team in OZ start % at over 70%!

I suppose he could have gotten 9 mins per night on the 4th line with a couple plugs, but I don’t think that would have been any better for him.  I think he is the type of guy who needs to play on an offensively focused line with decent line mates, and if he isn’t ready to produce in that role then he shouldn’t be in the NHL yet.

35 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t know about that.  I think he was about as sheltered as was possible.  He was the 9th forward by avg ES TOI and he led the team in OZ start % at over 70%!

I suppose he could have gotten 9 mins per night on the 4th line with a couple plugs, but I don’t think that would have been any better for him.  I think he is the type of guy who needs to play on an offensively focused line with decent line mates, and if he isn’t ready to produce in that role then he shouldn’t be in the NHL yet.

Not going to go back through and relook up his linemates, it's posted in one of these threads, but he was centering the 2nd scoring line about 40 times last year.

And, didn't say he should've been playing with true plugs, but he, Pominville, & Sheary should've been on the 3rd scoring line (AKA the 4th line) last year.  THAT would've been an offensively focused line getting sheltered minutes which would've been ideal for him.

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rochester leading their division is encouraging. Goals for good, goals against very good. Their extremely low PIM total makes me wonder if they're too soft though and that's not good for a soft organization. Not sure they can win in their playoffs. 

They aren't soft at all.  They have two guys in their lineup regularly who's main job in fighting.  Borgen, MacWilliam, Cornel all drop the gloves.  Video to come.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

They aren't soft at all.  They have two guys in their lineup regularly who's main job in fighting.  Borgen, MacWilliam, Cornel all drop the gloves.  Video to come.  

You know that big softie MacWilliams. Then they put that wimp Borgen with him so he could learn how to crochet...er, uhmmm.......body bags....

• Like (+1) 1