Brawndo

Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fitzgerald

He fought last night and he didn’t get his ass kicked. Almost got whooped but he got back up and kept trying. I think these guys try a little harder in the A because the drop to the next level really sucks. I was looking for curiosity‘s sake at the average ECHL salary last night. This is the newest info I could find.

https://work.chron.com/pro-hockey-salaries-1275.html

As of publication, the ECHL has a $13,260 weekly salary cap for 20 players and minimum player salary of $500 per week.”

12 minutes ago, Ogre said:

As of publication, the ECHL has a $13,260 weekly salary cap for 20 players and minimum player salary of $500 per week.”

So 13,260/20 would be a maximum of $663/week if everyone is paid equally. Yikes, that's low pay for a job that requires travel every other week.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

So 13,260/20 would be a maximum of $663/week if everyone is paid equally. Yikes, that's low pay for a job that requires travel every other week.

I wonder if they cover rent. I'll bet they have some type of minimal stoped for food as well. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I wonder if they cover rent. I'll bet they have some type of minimal stoped for food as well. 

They have to get a per diem/travel stipend. But I've traveled a lot for work (you know, Star Destroyers and all) and being away from the home and family for 5 days in a row puts a lot of stress on everyone involved. And if you're not providing the income that allows to supplement your absence (e.g., childcare because the spouse also needs a full-time job), these guys have to be doing it out of love of the game and competition. And the "maybe one day". That's really admirable.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

And the "maybe one day". That's really admirable.

I found this story when I was looking for ECHL salaries. It’s from 2007 but it illustrates the point that you’re making.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.recordnet.com/article/20071007/a_sports04/710070330%3ftemplate=ampart

“Brad Farynuk could be making a comfortable living with his degrees in mechanics and aerospace engineering.

But he's chosen to earn $525 a week, with room and board, for a chance to play in the NHL.“

Edited by Ogre
Fixed the link

17 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

NHLers are built on hope.

Right, and many guys don't know when/how to walk away.

46 minutes ago, shrader said:

Right, and many guys don't know when/how to walk away.

True. It's just as daunting for the guy who's hung on and loved the game and the camaraderie but doesn't have a "regular" job or lead or whatnot to go on to (and no savings or big salary) as it is for the great player who's had a full career never known anything else.     (Unless this is walk/how comment is a dig at my quad-amputee status. ;-]  Then....  heyyyy! )

59 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

True. It's just as daunting for the guy who's hung on and loved the game and the camaraderie but doesn't have a "regular" job or lead or whatnot to go on to (and no savings or big salary) as it is for the great player who's had a full career never known anything else.     (Unless this is walk/how comment is a dig at my quad-amputee status. ;-]  Then....  heyyyy! )

backing up homer simpson GIF

• Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, inkman said:

Johansson looked sharp.  

They are crushing the division and smoking the majority of the league in GA. 60 ga in 25 gp! That’s nuts! Next best in the division is Toronto with 70 ga in 25gp. The Roadrunners are next best in the League with 62 ga in 24 gp out in that crappy Pacific division. I was dead wrong in my expectations for goaltending this season.

btw... back to leading the division. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is Johansson good enough to backup Ullmark in Buffalo next year?

If he keeps having 35 saves a night like he did last night then how could you not pencil him in for next year?

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is Johansson good enough to backup Ullmark in Buffalo next year?

No chance that’ll happen. It’ll likely be Johansson and UPL in Rochester next season.  

37 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

No chance that’ll happen. It’ll likely be Johansson and UPL in Rochester next season.  

Could you expand please. Have not seen Rochester play this year. From all I have read sounds like the Hamburglar and Johansson are playing quite well. Thanks

25 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Could you expand please. Have not seen Rochester play this year. From all I have read sounds like the Hamburglar and Johansson are playing quite well. Thanks

Yes, they’ve been great. But Johansson is just now proving he can be an AHL goalie. They’re not going to rush him into the NHL next season.  He’s not even the starter on the Amerks. Next season you’ll likely see UPL and Johansson as the Amerks tandem. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Through 1.5 periods, Casey has been non-existent.  

Ufda. 0-0 midway through with shots 11-12. Looks like both teams are non-existent. Meanwhile, Moulson is captain of an AHL All-Star team. (yay!)

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Amerks lose 2-1. Mitts 2 shots, minus 1 no points. 

I hope Mitteldudt doesn’t infect the rest of the team...

It was good to see Mitts interact and toss some pucks over the glass for the group with welcome signs and 73 sweaters held up. I’ve seen several so far. Maybe that boosts the kid tonight? I hope so. Go Amerks!

• Like (+1) 1