Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

I always liked Malone, even though he’d pretty much dropped off the radar in the past year or two. I thought he had some potential to be a Larsson-esque 4th-liner.

He’s done nothing to warrant a one-way contract offer though. The fact Adams offered him one raises as many red flags for me as the fact Malone turned it down.

These things are always down to individuals, but it certainly feeds my feeling that Larsson and Girgensons are already gone.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They wanted him back and he said no.

He turned down a one way deal with them yesterday. 

That’s bananas!  He turned down a guaranteed $700k, for a deal where he could make anywhere between $70k-$700k.  Jebus.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Whoa.  I work with his sister and she said he liked being here.  This is a worse fester-clock than we think.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

That’s bananas!  He turned down a guaranteed $700k, for a deal where he could make anywhere between $70k-$700k.  Jebus.

Not only that. But he elected to go to a Nashville team with 3 proven NHL centers (granted, they'll likely try to move one), vs. a team with Eichel and a UFAngry Larry. Local kid, drafted by local team, and... wants absolutely nothing to do with the team. Le sigh.

I guess I'll cross him off my Asplund/Lazar/Malone 4C prospective roster list.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I always liked Malone, even though he’d pretty much dropped off the radar in the past year or two. I thought he had some potential to be a Larsson-esque 4th-liner.

He’s done nothing to warrant a one-way contract offer though. The fact Adams offered him one raises as many red flags for me as the fact Malone turned it down.

These things are always down to individuals, but it certainly feeds my feeling that Larsson and Girgensons are already gone.

I suspect some spin on this one because it makes zero sense.  They only would give him an AHL contract this year but this time around they're willing to go with a one-way deal... and he won't take that guaranteed 10x raise?  Someone's leaking out some fake information.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I suspect some spin on this one because it makes zero sense.  They only would give him an AHL contract this year but this time around they're willing to go with a one-way deal... and he won't take that guaranteed 10x raise?  Someone's leaking out some fake information.

It (the 1-way offer) certainly does need to be verified. But still -- leaving a team with no C depth where he legitimately could contend for a 4C spot -- it's just more poor optics.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

It (the 1-way offer) certainly does need to be verified. But still -- leaving a team with no C depth where he legitimately contend for a 4C spot -- it's just more poor optics.

He didn't have a contract with that zero depth team in the first place, so technically, he was already gone.  It's just like Redmond, the Sabres organization had already moved on from him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

He didn't have a contract with that zero depth team in the first place, so technically, he was already gone.  It's just like Redmond, the Sabres organization had already moved on from him.

That's true -- although it was the JBot and not the Kheevyn. Malone could've taken it as a fresh start (and competing against the likes of Lazar, Asplund, and Ruotsalainen, vs. Smith [UFA], Bonino, and Pitlick). Again, Nashville could also move one of Bonino, Duchene, Johansen, or Turris that could free up a spot.

30 minutes ago, shrader said:

@Brawndo knows his stuff and posts it judiciously.

11 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's true -- although it was the JBot and not the Kheevyn. Malone could've taken it as a fresh start (and competing against the likes of Lazar, Asplund, and Ruotsalainen, vs. Smith [UFA], Bonino, and Pitlick). Again, Nashville could also move one of Bonino, Duchene, Johansen, or Turris that could free up a spot.

Adams was asked about Amerks prospects shortly after being hired and he brought up Malone, which I thought was kinda weird at the time.

I've loved the Sabres since 1970.  But, I'm getting concerned that the Pegula's don't understand what it is to be a Sabres fan.  It's not that hard.  A hard working team that brings it every night.  That sticks up for each other.  That leaves everything they have on the ice.  That will to win.  Grit. Determination.  Fight.  Sacrifice..  If they gave all this, I could tolerate the losses. But I want teams coming it to play in the KBC to say, "*****, this is gonna be a tough night.'

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

How it was presented to me, by someone who is certainly in the know, was the team offered a NHL Deal, which he turned down. 

I'm not questioning you here.  I just get the feeling that someone is stretching things a bit on this one.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

How it was presented to me, by someone who is certainly in the know, was the team offered a NHL Deal, which he turned down. 

An NHL deal can still be two way.  I want confirmation.  No way does he turn down as guaranteed 3/4 of a mill for five figures.   

Edited by inkman

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

...and if Larry walks, Malone could have slid right into the 4C spot.  I'm going to LMAO if he goes to Nashville and makes their roster.   What a train wreck this organ-EYE-zation has become. ?

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Can you elaborate on the red flags? If they have the money, does it necessarily indicate something negative WRT Adams? It could just mean they were fine paying him more to be an AHL player, and possibly still not expecting much, if anything, from him NHL wise.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Adams was asked about Amerks prospects shortly after being hired and he brought up Malone, which I thought was kinda weird at the time.

Very weird, as he wasn’t even a Sabres prospect, not being our property. 

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

I've loved the Sabres since 1970.  But, I'm getting concerned that the Pegula's don't understand what it is to be a Sabres fan.  It's not that hard.  A hard working team that brings it every night.  That sticks up for each other.  That leaves everything they have on the ice.  That will to win.  Grit. Determination.  Fight.  Sacrifice..  If they gave all this, I could tolerate the losses. But I want teams coming it to play in the KBC to say, "*****, this is gonna be a tough night.'

The hockey of today is not the hockey of yesterday. The team that has more talent and skilled players will usually prevail over the lunch bucket team. The well coached team with a balanced roster will prevail over the less talented and earnest team. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Can you elaborate on the red flags? If they have the money, does it necessarily indicate something negative WRT Adams? It could just mean they were fine paying him more to be an AHL player, and possibly still not expecting much, if anything, from him NHL wise.

Offering a one-way NHL contract to a 3-year 25-year-old AHL veteran who never cracked 12 goals or 30 points and had fallen off everyone’s prospect radar seems, on the surface, to be i) bad budgeting and ii) bad player judgement. There are some exceptions, like a Redmond, where you pay him an exhorbitant sum to be an AHL Star, but Malone doesn’t fit that profile, And generally, you give NHL contracts to players you believe can be NHL players.

Now maybe Adams does believe that and Malone will become an effective 4C for the Preds this year, proving me wrong, but then you move to the next red flag: does it mean Adams is a poor negotiator or salesman? Because if you offer a guy better money and a better opportunity (Compare the centres we have under contract to those that Nashville has) and he still says ‘no’ that’s troubling.

Finally, there’s the consistency of message red flag: you’ve just streamlined your organization and talked about changing the model for Rochester and making it more development-focused, and you’ve talked about running a more economic, efficient organization. And then you to sign a veteran AHL third-liner to NHL dollars. Unless you genuinely believe he’s going to be in the NHL, isn’t this exactly the opposite of what you said you were going to do?

I mean all of this is answered if Adams correctly believed Malone could be an NHL regular this season, or was going to be one of just a few vets vets on the Amerks, but it’s an odd direction to take in what was going to be your first ever personnel decision.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Offering a one-way NHL contract to a 3-year AHL veteran who never cracked 12 goals or 30 points and had fallen off everyone’s prospect radar seems, on the surface, to be i) bad budgeting and ii) bad player judgement. There are some exceptions, like a Redmond, where you pay him an exhorbitant sum to be an AHL Star, but Malone doesn’t fit that profile, But generally, you give NHL contracts to players you believe can be NHL players.

Now maybe Adams does believe that and Malone will become an effective 4C for the Preds this year, proving me wrong, but then you move to the next red flag: does it mean Adams is a poor negotiator or salesman? Because if you offer a guy better money and a better opportunity (Compare the centres we have under contract to those that Nashville has) and he still says ‘no’ that’s troubling.

Finally, there’s the consistency of message red flag: you’ve just streamlined your organization and talked about changing the model for Rochester and making it more development-focused, and you’ve talked about running a more economic, efficient organization. And then you to sign a veteran AHL third-liner to NHL dollars. Unless you genuinely believe he’s going to be in the NHL, isn’t this exactly the opposite of what you said you were going to do?

I mean all of this is answered if Adams correctly believed Malone could be an NHL regular this season, but it’s an odd direction to take in what was going to be your first ever personnel decision.

Or, playing devil's advocate, it could be that Malone figures he'd be the spare F in Buffalo as he expects Buffalo to bring in a 2C & even if Larsson leaves, he sees at minimum Cozens, Lazar, & Asplund along with Mittelstadt ahead of him on the depth chart; & would rather bet on himself with the 2 way deal where he either ends up the 4C or with significant playing time on the farm in Nashville.  Either way getting an opportunity to impress GMs & getting better shot at a real NHL job in 2 years than the one he expects with serious press box duty where he grew up.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In his defence, the product he’s selling has a very, very low perception in the market right now, a tough sell for anyone to make. 

Have to agree on the rest. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Or, playing devil's advocate, it could be that Malone figures he'd be the spare F in Buffalo as he expects Buffalo to bring in a 2C & even if Larsson leaves, he sees at minimum Cozens, Lazar, & Asplund along with Mittelstadt ahead of him on the depth chart; & would rather bet on himself with the 2 way deal where he either ends up the 4C or with significant playing time on the farm in Nashville.  Either way getting an opportunity to impress GMs & getting better shot at a real NHL job in 2 years than the one he expects with serious press box duty where he grew up.

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In his defence, the product he’s selling has a very, very low perception in the market right now, a tough sell for anyone to make. 

Have to agree on the rest. 

It’s entirely possible that Malone was simply done with the Sabres and had made up his mind he was moving on, no matter what Adams did.

You know, like Johan Larsson?

Edited by dudacek

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s entirely possible that Malone was simply done with the Sabres and had made up his mind he was moving on, no matter Adams did.

You know, like Johan Larsson?

Larsson will be interesting. When cap space shrinks what invariably happens is that the middle class gets squeezed out. Johan might find his only option is overseas or taking a lot less money to play elsewhere in the NHL.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Offering a one-way NHL contract to a 3-year 25-year-old AHL veteran who never cracked 12 goals or 30 points and had fallen off everyone’s prospect radar seems, on the surface, to be i) bad budgeting and ii) bad player judgement. There are some exceptions, like a Redmond, where you pay him an exhorbitant sum to be an AHL Star, but Malone doesn’t fit that profile, And generally, you give NHL contracts to players you believe can be NHL players.

I mean all of this is answered if Adams correctly believed Malone could be an NHL regular this season, or was going to be one of just a few vets vets on the Amerks, but it’s an odd direction to take in what was going to be your first ever personnel decision.

But as I pointed out elsewhere: What good is clearing out spots for developing prospects when you don't have any serious prospects to develope?