Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

I would not be surprised if the the Pegula's aren't looking for a reason to move the Amerks to Buffalo and consolidate hockey in that city.  Rochester, in general, has not cared about the Amerks for a long time.  

I don't even have a desire to go to a game.  The concessions are terrible, they always have been frankly, even a few years ago.  They were awful compared to Frontier Field and they charged the same amount.  Now they charge more.  The only way I go to an Amerks game is if someone gives me a ticket, and even then, It's a hard sell.

Given what Ogre was posting I am surprised anyone wants to be there.  

Check off the list the last time i was there...
The sound in the arena sucked
The scoreboard in the arena was terrible
Concessions are sub-sub par and expensive
Seating is uncomfortable
Parking is expensive

Yeah.. I'm just getting worked up thinking about how bad the Amerks are. Hell, I'm glad my kid is past the "skate during intermission" garbage that local hockey clubs like to force on their parents. I felt slimy just trying to get people to buy tickets so the kids could get on the ice for 3 minutes.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Given what Ogre was posting I am surprised anyone wants to be there.

FTR I immensely enjoyed Amerks games up until Pegula took over operation of the arena. There is no finer thing in life than live hockey. No play by play. No jibber jabbing with anyone. I get there early and get some dinner and a beer and watch warmups. I sit front row upper deck simply for the joy of some pretty diverse and enlightening people watching. The game gets going and I’m sitting there with a cold beer and the player notes and focus.

The food wasn’t five star but the variety was wide and the options inclusive. The intermissions were predictable yet fun. The past two years haven’t been fun. The music is so friggin loud before the game that I have to shout to talk to my wife in the seat next to me. Instead of hanging out and having fun, our conversation dies out and we just sit there like strangers until the game starts and they turn the ***** thing down. Who the ***** is making these idiotic choices? Have they ever lived like a regular not rich human being. Maybe you’re right. Maybe Terry is sneaking them to Buffalo. Stupid decision. Dilute your market with cheaper commodity. Buffalo ain’t Montreal, Terry! And I’m just a dumb ***** ironworker?

.........also they lost 4-0 to Toronto today......??

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ogre said:

FTR I immensely enjoyed Amerks games up until Pegula took over operation of the arena. There is no finer thing in life than live hockey. No play by play. No jibber jabbing with anyone. I get there early and get some dinner and a beer and watch warmups. I sit front row upper deck simply for the joy of some pretty diverse and enlightening people watching. The game gets going and I’m sitting there with a cold beer and the player notes and focus.

The food wasn’t five star but the variety was wide and the options inclusive. The intermissions were predictable yet fun. The past two years haven’t been fun. The music is so friggin loud before the game that I have to shout to talk to my wife in the seat next to me. Instead of hanging out and having fun, our conversation dies out and we just sit there like strangers until the game starts and they turn the ***** thing down. Who the ***** is making these idiotic choices? Have they ever lived like a regular not rich human being. Maybe you’re right. Maybe Terry is sneaking them to Buffalo. Stupid decision. Dilute your market with cheaper commodity. Buffalo ain’t Montreal, Terry! And I’m just a dumb ***** ironworker?

.........also they lost 4-0 to Toronto today......??

It's been a long time since i enjoyed the Amerks.  I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love to go.  I agree with attending hockey games.  I might also have some bias given that I spent my first 22 years calling Buffalo home.

But yes, I have gone to a few games since Pegula took over and it's noticeable how out of touch things are there.  I trust your opinion, you are the die hard fan.  I'm half-tempted to reach out to LetsGoAmerks to get his take.  Our kids played together for awhile.  His still plays for a guy I used to coach with.  

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I'm half-tempted to reach out to LetsGoAmerks to get his take.

I welcome multiple opinions. I would love nothing more than to learn that it’s just me and not the rest of the fan base.  
I stopped watching hockey altogether for a few years when the Nordiques moved. It’s unbelievably difficult to lose your team. It’s too much. I don’t want to experience that again.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

It's been a long time since i enjoyed the Amerks.  I didn't dislike it, but I didn't love to go.  I agree with attending hockey games.  I might also have some bias given that I spent my first 22 years calling Buffalo home.

But yes, I have gone to a few games since Pegula took over and it's noticeable how out of touch things are there.  I trust your opinion, you are the die hard fan.  I'm half-tempted to reach out to LetsGoAmerks to get his take.  Our kids played together for awhile.  His still plays for a guy I used to coach with.  

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

I welcome multiple opinions. I would love nothing more than to learn that it’s just me and not the rest of the fan base.  
I stopped watching hockey altogether for a few years when the Nordiques moved. It’s unbelievably difficult to lose your team. It’s too much. I don’t want to experience that again.

I follow Let’s Go Amerks and Amerks Extra on Twitter. Scrolling through their TLs  it’s easy to see they share your frustrations about the   way things are run. 

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, inkman said:

This game is starting to remind me of what's in my pants. A little testy.  

I just noticed this somehow. 

When you’re balls spend all their time together they’re bound to argue a little. It’s only natural.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:59 PM, inkman said:

The Amerks fan base has been dissolved.  There are only a few die hards left.  I'd say a few hundred.  Everyone else is gone.  The only way they pack the arena is through promotions.  When Brian Gionta came back as an Amerk, the place was packed.  Weekend nights fill the arena between 60-75%.  It comes down to this:

1) They were a horrible team for a long period of time.  It decimated what was a great hockey city.

2) The affiliation nonsense.  The dual affiliation with the Panthers and the lone affiliation with the Panthers really disenfranchised the marriage that we really enjoy with the Sabres.  

3) All the things Ogre mentioned.  The organization doesn't know how to treat fans.  They raised all the food and drink prices, brought in their own concession company with all new employees, most of whom have never worked in food service in their life.  The Burrito stand ran out of BEANS the first hour they were open and I'm not sure they had more than 20 customers.  It took them 40 minutes to get new ones.  

4) The ticket prices.  Last I checked it was ~ $26 a ticket.  That's just a bit steep for minor league hockey.  Between that, parking and concessions, it'll run you close to $100 for a night with the family.  I'm sure people are rolling their eyes when they drop 3 times that for the Sabres but their is no resale market for the Amerks where you can get tickets for $10.  

Yeah, you will wait a long time to ever hear good words uttered from these lips about Steve Donner.  Incompetent and under capitalized -  a really bad combination.  Yes, he bought a Calder winner right out of the gate, but he blew his whole wad on that squad and his lack of capital led to the dual/ sole Swamp Cats affiliation.

That 1 win wasn't worth the damage he wrought.

Too bad the board had the great crash.  Arguing with that tool was fun.  ? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yeah, you will wait a long time to ever hear good words uttered from these lips about Steve Donner.  Incompetent and under capitalized -  a really bad combination.  Yes, he bought a Calder winner right out of the gate, but he blew his whole wad on that squad and his lack of capital led to the dual/ sole Swamp Cats affiliation.

That 1 win wasn't worth the damage he wrought.

Too bad the board had the great crash.  Arguing with that tool was fun.  ? 

As a total outsider on all things Amerk, I kind of miss those days.  It was a very entertaining read.  Now I just wish I could remember the username in question.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, shrader said:

As a total outsider on all things Amerk, I kind of miss those days.  It was a very entertaining read.  Now I just wish I could remember the username in question.

Pretty sure Jabba the Donner went by Amerks6 on this site.

• Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

Shots now 11-2, Amerks trail 1-0. Mittlestadt directly responsible for the goal. Loses a battle on the boards, puck immediately passed to scorer on top of crease. 

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

Mitts with a nice feed to MacWilliam, Amerks 2-1. 

VALIDATE MY EXISTANCE SABRESPACERS!! ?

Well that’s Two Goals Mitts has been directly responsible for tonight 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think I'm starting to comprehend Casey's struggles. On the 3on 3 OT, he's streaking down the wing unimpeded, makes a simple stick deke, which is solved easily by the goalie. Mitts didn't see it happen as he was knocked to the ice. He got up incredulous that he didn't score. Hey bud, these guys get paid to stop you, do better. 

Mitts with a chance to end it in the SO, does the ol Kotalik and wins it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1