Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

Amerks get smoked 4-1 and it wasn't that close.  This team is in a free fall I haven't witnessed outside of the Sabres.  They have lost 7 in a row.  None of the reinforcements made it to Hershey so Paetsch and Gilmore were playing forward.  UPL looked below average giving up a couple softies.  Can't wait to see them in person Friday.  

The Amerks have been aggressively attempting to convince me to renew my seats. “Free first and second round playoff tickets!..*signs of desperation*...”  The ticket rep didn’t even know the layout of BCA but was positive they’d go deep this year....I really love watching hockey live but I can get a random ticket for a random night. It’s been a six year run on seasons but if these fools fall short I’m done. You can take your seat(which I’m pretty sure the seat two down from me was pissed on by the special needs middle aged adult sitting there last Friday judging by the overwhelming smell of piss) and sell it to some other dope. I need a ***** break.

• Like (+1) 1

So, from what I've seen of Mittelstadt in Rochester, he is making some of those wow plays that we saw in junior, and haven't in the NHL, those high-energy flurries that attack the puck carrier, or the defender, and his quick shot and hands. And we've also seen turnovers and broken plays caused by the same.

My question is from a development standpoint: Do we want him to keep trying this stuff until the successful attempts clearly outweigh the groaners? Or do we want him to start relearning the game so he's doing less of that and playing more team-oriented game?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So, from what I've seen of Mittelstadt in Rochester, he is making some of those wow plays that we saw in junior, and haven't in the NHL, those high-energy flurries that attack the puck carrier, or the defender, and his quick shot and hands. And we've also seen turnovers and broken plays caused by the same.

My question is from a development standpoint: Do we want him to keep trying this stuff until the successful attempts clearly outweigh the groaners? Or do we want him to start relearning the game so he's doing less of that and playing more team-oriented game?

Whatever makes him a contributor. 

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We need him to figure out what will work and, more importantly, what won't at the NHL level.  Which means he has to learn how to play the simpler 'take what the opponent gives you' game.  But, not sure how well he'll learn that in the AHL because he IS better (or at least more skilled) than most all the guys he's playing against.

He's looked good today.  Had 2 errant passes and another right to Nelson that was mishandled and required a superlative backcheck from Nelson to prevent a breakaway.  But that was pretty much it for ooopsies w/ ~4 minutes left in the 2nd.  And he could easily have a hat trick with any luck at all.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

In my mind it seems like Paetsch should be in his forties.  He was a Sabre soooo long ago.  I recall he was a part-time forward for Buffalo.

I think the same thing each time I see his name.  I feel like he was on the team while I was in college, but as it turns out, he's younger than me.  He was on that Presidents' Trophy team, but I have absolutely no memory of that.

12 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

While I'm not one to give up on such a young kid is Mitts so early on, moving him now, before his stock drops through the bottom of the bucket may very well be the best thing to do to get value for him.

I think he’ll improve with time in the AHL. It was a mistake to rush him into the NHL, but it might have been a demand of his to get him to sign. He’s still young and needs to put some muscle on. I think it’s too early to move him unless they got a proven veteran in return.

By next season hopefully he can center the 3rd line. It will be interesting to see how they handle Cozens; will he get some time in the AHL to learn the pro game.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, shrader said:

He was on that Presidents' Trophy team, but I have absolutely no memory of that.

I do, and that's part of what makes him feel old to me.  I remember thinking highly of him at the time:  He was a steady Dman (bottom pairing level at the time without knowing what his upside was yet) who could take shifts at wing.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I do, and that's part of what makes him feel old to me.  I remember thinking highly of him at the time:  He was a steady Dman (bottom pairing level at the time without knowing what his upside was yet) who could take shifts at wing.

I always think of him as a pre-lockout player.  But anyway, looking back on his stats, it's amazing how quickly he fell off after a fantastic first season.  I want to call it Gragnani disease, but that one was just a playoff series.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I always think of him as a pre-lockout player.  But anyway, looking back on his stats, it's amazing how quickly he fell off after a fantastic first

I always think of him as a pre-lockout player.  But anyway, looking back on his stats, it's amazing how quickly he fell off after a fantastic first season.  I want to call it Gragnani disease, but that one was just a playoff series.

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yep.  I thought he was a keeper at first.

season.  I want to call it Gragnani disease, but that one was just a playoff series.

Patches was the original flash in a pan Sabre.  The guy we saw for 5-10 games and fell in love with.  Paetsch, Nelson, Mancari, Gargnani, Luke Adam all had similar arcs.  Super small sample size, great results.  Complete suckitude for the remainder of their career.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, inkman said:

Patches was the original flash in a pan Sabre.  The guy we saw for 5-10 games and fell in love with.  Paetsch, Nelson, Mancari, Gargnani, Luke Adam all had similar arcs.  Super small sample size, great results.  Complete suckitude for the remainder of their career.  

Mancari never had that moment at the NHL level.  From your list, he's the one guy who turned into a very good career AHLer who did get a few chances here or there in the NHL.  So I'll give him that much, he at least established a level for himself and maintained it throughout his career.  The rest had their flash and then quickly fell off.  I don't know if some guys just quit once they realize they won't make the big time, but I appreciate a guy like Mancari who still thrives at the AHL level after realizing that the dream is probably dead.

Mancari never had that moment at the NHL level.  From your list, he's the one guy who turned into a very good career AHLer who did get a few chances here or there in the NHL.  So I'll give him that much, he at least established a level for himself and maintained it throughout his career.  The rest had their flash and then quickly fell off.  I don't know if some guys just quit once they realize they won't make the big time, but I appreciate a guy like Mancari who still thrives at the AHL level after realizing that the dream is probably dead.

He was the one guy I wasn't ? sure on.  I picture him horking down coffin nails after the game with a slug of whiskey.