Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Can't judge much off tonight's game. Had to kill to 5 on 3s.  Dominted most of play but didn't capitalize.  

That third goal bothered me. Yes it was a funny bounce but there’s no reason for him to have committed so hard to the other side. The pipe was his best friend a couple times too.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

So in the NHL Mitts was a boy among men. Is he a man among boys in the A?

Coughs the puck up way more than he does something with it. The Jumbotron had a shot of the team in the hall before the period and he looks lost there too. Guys reaching over him to fist bump someone else. It looked really awkward.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Ogre said:

Coughs the puck up way more than he does something with it. The Jumbotron had a shot of the team in the hall before the period and he looks lost there too. Guys reaching over him to fist bump someone else. It looked really awkward.

I'm not sure if he's unwilling to unable to follow their system but he wants to dangle and push play when it isn't there.  Constantly.  He refused to take what's given to him and tries to be Jack Eichel.  Article I read had glowing things to say about his off ice attitude and demeanor but his on ice play isn't reflective of those things.  Hopefully it's just immaturity and inexperience.  

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

'm not sure if he's unwilling to unable to follow their system but he wants to dangle and push play when it isn't there.  Constantly.  He refused to take what's given to him and tries to be Jack Eichel.

Exactly. So when he starts to dangle the whole system falls apart. The guys that would push into the zone to help chip/keep the puck deep fall back out to cover for when he looses the puck. They either get burned for the break or take a penalty trying to prevent it so they fall back and open up the neutral zone. Casey comes in last because he’s looking on in disbelief that he got stripped for a rush the other way.....AGAIN!

1 hour ago, Sabresince70 said:

Really hoping they play well tonight. I only get to see them once a year - and the bragging rights would be nice! Hate the Fantums

Hopefully you get better refs tonight than they had in Ra-cha-cha last night.  It wasn't the reffing that cost them the game, but it definitely made it more of an uphill battle than it needed to be.

Wanted to watch Luukkonnen play last night, so broke down and bought the 1/2 season Amerks package.  Will probably watch this one on slight delay during intermissions in the Sabres game.

Good luck w/ it. ?

17 hours ago, Ogre said:

That third goal bothered me. Yes it was a funny bounce but there’s no reason for him to have committed so hard to the other side. The pipe was his best friend a couple times too.

Don't be too hard on him, goalies take a long time to develop. With good coaching, he will be the guy we hope he will be.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hopefully you get better refs tonight than they had in Ra-cha-cha last night.

The officiating is always bad. The linesman do a better job and it shows with return performances. The refs are bounced around or demoted or whatever happens to them. I rarely see a particular ref more than once or twice a season it seems. I’m sure it’s hard to find someone that can handle it and skate like an angel too.

The number of calls weren’t necessarily the problem last night as much as what they decide the penalty was. Couple times the call on the ice was hooking when it clearly should have been interference. I would like to know what was said on the bench that got them the unsportsmanlike. I had the feeling the ref had red ass from the thundering boos raining down for the failure to call roughing both ways on that play with Dea. Which makes me want to comment on how many penalties he took last night. He also played on a line with Mitts. That line got all scrambled at times. It also seemed they reduced Mitts’ toi.

AHL has always had bad ref. L.V. has been having a bad year - so hopefully this will come out well. (I go to Hershey games as well (both here and in Hershey - I enjoyed wearing the chocolate and white when the bears beat the fantums. (My jersey is the throw back to early/mid 80's when Edwards was in net for the Bears...) Aside from a Ranger fan, I think everyone else I work with is a pumpkin head

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I'm not sure if he's unwilling to unable to follow their system but he wants to dangle and push play when it isn't there.  Constantly.  He refused to take what's given to him and tries to be Jack Eichel.  Article I read had glowing things to say about his off ice attitude and demeanor but his on ice play isn't reflective of those things.  Hopefully it's just immaturity and inexperience.  

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Exactly. So when he starts to dangle the whole system falls apart. The guys that would push into the zone to help chip/keep the puck deep fall back out to cover for when he looses the puck. They either get burned for the break or take a penalty trying to prevent it so they fall back and open up the neutral zone. Casey comes in last because he’s looking on in disbelief that he got stripped for a rush the other way.....AGAIN!

Ugh.

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Ugh.

Learning how to move the puck effectively against men was/is always going to be the key skill Mittelstadt needs to learn to be an effective NHLer.  It should be something that isn't terribly difficult for him to wrap his head around.  But IMHO, that's going to be tougher for him to glean onto in the AHL than in the NHL because there are far more guys that his dangle through trouble will work against.  

He also needs to learn to be better defensively and I'm expecting he will.  Playing with Dea and Elie, a couple of quality AHLers/ tweeners on the 2nd line should give him a start at that, but until he's bumped up to the top line not sure how quickly he'll get the hang of taking the puck wide rather than through the middle and passing prior to engaging 3 defenders converging on him.

The thing is, having him play on the 2nd line last year, rather than the 3rd line did him no favors.  He was overmatched in both ends and oftentimes looked like a golden lab puppy chasing after a ball.  I'm expecting this trip to Ra-cha-cha will end up getting him better - his confidence was toast and that is back (thus his trying to do too much again) but not sure how much he'll learn at this level.  Again, IMHO, the thing he really needs to learn to be effective is that he won't just flat out out skill his opponents as a pro but he'll still do that fairly often in the AHL (not often enough to dominate, but often enough to still get himself into trouble trying that when it won't work) and he probably will figure it out at the NHL level better than at the AHL level.  But he needs to stay in Ra-cha-cha at least through February and like the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Porter also scratched.  TFG as he's just not that good anymore.

He’s so smart on the ice though. His brain took him places that his body couldn’t. Mitts could learn a thing or two from a guy like Porter. Also, I think he got banged up a little on a play last night.

CJ Smith with one of the worst turnovers I've ever seen.  Somehow it didn't end uoin the back of the net.  Borgen 2 minutes for saving CJs ass.

Lehigh valley scores on the subsequent PP.  UGH. 

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

He’s so smart on the ice though. His brain took him places that his body couldn’t. Mitts could learn a thing or two from a guy like Porter. Also, I think he got banged up a little on a play last night.

Make him a coach then.  I literally haven't seen him do anything in the offensive zone resembling hockey.  He's probably great on D on something but he's getting top line minutes.  

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

CJ Smith with one of the worst turnovers I've ever seen.  Somehow it didn't end uoin the back of the net.  Borgen 2 minutes for saving CJs ass.

Lehigh valley scores on the subsequent PP.  UGH. 

Make him a coach then.  I literally haven't seen him do anything in the offensive zone resembling hockey.  He's probably great on D on something but he's getting top line minutes.  

It’s all behind the play where the camera isn’t looking.?

Former Sabre and 18th overall pick Chris Stewart dressing for the Phantoms tonight. An interesting study in how the game has changed.  His skillset was the one of choice during his draft era.  Now he's a dinosaur with no real place in pro hockey.  He'll probably be out of hockey next season.  

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

Former Sabre and 18th overall pick Chris Stewart dressing for the Phantoms tonight. An interesting study in how the game has changed.  His skillset was the one of choice during his draft era.  Now he's a dinosaur with no real place in pro hockey.  He'll probably be out of hockey next season.  

He was (sort of) out last season. I think he played in Slovakia and then the Flyers gave him a try out.