Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Ogre said:

You know that big softie MacWilliams. Then they put that wimp Borgen with him so he could learn how to crochet...er, uhmmm.......body bags....

Borgen just blasted an opponent and a teammate came to the blastee's defense and wanted NOTHING to do with Will.  It was comical.  Borgen was out for blood too.  Bascially begging for some fool to expose his face to those fists.  

Just now, inkman said:

Borgen just blasted an opponent and a teammate came to the blastee's defense and wanted NOTHING to do with Will.  It was comical.  Borgen was out for blood too.  Bascially begging for some fool to expose his face to those fists.  

I’ve seen that kid get seriously disturbed and go full on chimpanzee on a mofo....

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ogre said:

You know that big softie MacWilliams. Then they put that wimp Borgen with him so he could learn how to crochet...er, uhmmm.......body bags....

I think it’s a case of trying hard to find negatives when the positives well out weigh the negatives. As you know.

Edited by Zamboni

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think it’s a case of trying hard to find negatives when the positives well out weigh the negatives. As you know.

The team has a dearth a talent.  They dressed 2 D as forwards for several games.  The injuries and call ups decimated their forward ranks.  Their D core is ok defensively and good offensively but when Gilmore and Redmond get a majority of ice time.  Their defense suffers, they just aren't sound in their own zone.  They really thrived for quite a while with the not ideal lineup due to the hard work of the pluggers. Unfortunately, the lack of top end talent has caught up with them.  Losing Pilut really hurt and they can't score now.  CJ Smith scored for the first time in 8 games.  JS Dea isn't scoring at his PPG pace, Tage is hurt, Mitts is still figuring things out.  It's basically 3rd and 4th line AHLers trying to claw their way against some pretty loaded lineups.  It's hard to watch as they are a group you want to root for.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

They aren't soft at all.  They have two guys in their lineup regularly who's main job in fighting.  Borgen, MacWilliam, Cornel all drop the gloves.  Video to come.  

That's good to hear. I don't get to see the games so I just go by the stats and the reports here. I do have high hope for Borgen. Right now imo we have too many small speedy puck movers and not enough defensive grit. I hope Borgen can develop into a rugged stay at home guy that can match up with one of our more offensive guys similar to how Boston matches Krug with Carlo. 

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

Mitts with a terrible turnover at center ice.  Leads directly to a goal.  Amerks trail 5-4 with under 2 minutes left.

Not so sure that was a terrible turnover. Mitts gets a takeaway in the defensive zone, moves it up, and then at the benches it's contested and way out of his reach and right to a SYR defenseman. And it goes the other direction. But it's hardly like Mitts had full control and gave it away. He's battling to move it up at the edge of his reach the entire time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Not so sure that was a terrible turnover. Mitts gets a takeaway in the defensive zone, moves it up, and then at the benches it's contested and way out of his reach and right to a SYR defenseman. And it goes the other direction. But it's hardly like Mitts had full control and gave it away. He's battling to move it up at the edge of his reach the entire time.

He was forcing a play that wasn't there.  He had an early outlet with 3 Crunch directly in front of him.  It would have taken some discipline to read and react but he's getting to the point where he needs to know. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

He was forcing a play that wasn't there.  He had an early outlet with 3 Crunch directly in front of him.  It would have taken some discipline to read and react but he's getting to the point where he needs to know. 

Hopefully a season+ in Rochester with Taylor will help him learn he can't chop it forward and go get it against professional athletes.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, inkman said:

You have to start wondering if the Amerks slide is related to Mitts in the lineup.

The Amerks starter the year with Lazar, Asplund, Thompson and Pilut in their roster.  Those guys are now all in Buffalo.  That's a ton of talent to lose off an AHL roster.  Blaming Mitts for the slide is complete BS.  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

You have to start wondering if the Amerks slide is related to Mitts in the lineup.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Amerks followers started that a few games ago.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Amerks starter the year with Lazar, Asplund, Thompson and Pilut in their roster.  Those guys are now all in Buffalo.  That's a ton of talent to lose off an AHL roster.  Blaming Mitts for the slide is complete BS.  

They were still winning until Mitts showed up, no?

I only casually follow them.  Totally casual observation so I could be off, but it sure seemed like the team was doing well until he arrived.

42 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is he the sole reason?  No.  Is he part of a lineup that hasn't played together showing little chemistry, terrible defense and suspect goaltending.  Yes.  

Casey isn't to blame but he hasn't helped much either. I delved into this subject on Rakish's podcast if anyone wants to listen.  They we're winning with Eric Cornel, Dalton Smith and Nathan Paetsch contributing.  

They just need a few games/practices together to get reacclimated with everyone.  Here is a nice tidbit:

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was still rehabbing when the season started. Didn’t join the club until the season was well underway. They were winning just fine with the likes of Vail and a line with two dmen playing forward.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I’ve been wondering. The Amerks are puck movers. No one was trying to dangle their way into the zone until Mitts arrived. Goals are one thing but so isn’t possession. The opponent can’t score if you have the puck all the time. 

On 1/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, Curt said:

I don’t know about that.  I think he was about as sheltered as was possible.  He was the 9th forward by avg ES TOI and he led the team in OZ start % at over 70%!

I suppose he could have gotten 9 mins per night on the 4th line with a couple plugs, but I don’t think that would have been any better for him.  I think he is the type of guy who needs to play on an offensively focused line with decent line mates, and if he isn’t ready to produce in that role then he shouldn’t be in the NHL yet.

Yup. They totally rushed him. In the name of Berglund/Mittelstadt replacing ROR in Bahts’ brain. 

Edited by Thorny