Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I wonder if they cover rent. I'll bet they have some type of minimal stoped for food as well. 

They have to get a per diem/travel stipend. But I've traveled a lot for work (you know, Star Destroyers and all) and being away from the home and family for 5 days in a row puts a lot of stress on everyone involved. And if you're not providing the income that allows to supplement your absence (e.g., childcare because the spouse also needs a full-time job), these guys have to be doing it out of love of the game and competition. And the "maybe one day". That's really admirable.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

And the "maybe one day". That's really admirable.

I found this story when I was looking for ECHL salaries. It’s from 2007 but it illustrates the point that you’re making.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.recordnet.com/article/20071007/a_sports04/710070330%3ftemplate=ampart

“Brad Farynuk could be making a comfortable living with his degrees in mechanics and aerospace engineering.

But he's chosen to earn $525 a week, with room and board, for a chance to play in the NHL.“

Edited by Ogre
Fixed the link

46 minutes ago, shrader said:

Right, and many guys don't know when/how to walk away.

True. It's just as daunting for the guy who's hung on and loved the game and the camaraderie but doesn't have a "regular" job or lead or whatnot to go on to (and no savings or big salary) as it is for the great player who's had a full career never known anything else.     (Unless this is walk/how comment is a dig at my quad-amputee status. ;-]  Then....  heyyyy! )

59 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

True. It's just as daunting for the guy who's hung on and loved the game and the camaraderie but doesn't have a "regular" job or lead or whatnot to go on to (and no savings or big salary) as it is for the great player who's had a full career never known anything else.     (Unless this is walk/how comment is a dig at my quad-amputee status. ;-]  Then....  heyyyy! )

backing up homer simpson GIF

• Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, inkman said:

Johansson looked sharp.  

They are crushing the division and smoking the majority of the league in GA. 60 ga in 25 gp! That’s nuts! Next best in the division is Toronto with 70 ga in 25gp. The Roadrunners are next best in the League with 62 ga in 24 gp out in that crappy Pacific division. I was dead wrong in my expectations for goaltending this season.

btw... back to leading the division. 

25 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Could you expand please. Have not seen Rochester play this year. From all I have read sounds like the Hamburglar and Johansson are playing quite well. Thanks

Yes, they’ve been great. But Johansson is just now proving he can be an AHL goalie. They’re not going to rush him into the NHL next season.  He’s not even the starter on the Amerks. Next season you’ll likely see UPL and Johansson as the Amerks tandem. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Amerks win 3-0. Pilut with a EN goal. I tried to watch Casey throughout. Only heard his name a couple of times. I did catch him on a few odd man rushes. He seemed to go to the worst spot on the ice to create or capitalize on a scoring chance. He would slow down, swoop in behind the play and somehow put a defender in-between himself and the puck handler.  I don't know what he's doing. I'm not sure he does either. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

Amerks win 3-0. Pilut with a EN goal. I tried to watch Casey throughout. Only heard his name a couple of times. I did catch him on a few odd man rushes. He seemed to go to the worst spot on the ice to create or capitalize on a scoring chance. He would slow down, swoop in behind the play and somehow put a defender in-between himself and the puck handler.  I don't know what he's doing. I'm not sure he does either. 

Which is quite the testament to the amazing coaching he has been given by this organization. They literally kept a bad high school coach behind the bench for TWO FREAKING SEASONS and people can't understand why this organization is the laughingstock of the entire sport?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm not sure he does either. 

He got less toi in the third. There was an interview with Dineen with regards Mitts where he basically said he was going to get tons of ice time and he did at first. He just makes poor decisions. He dumped the puck back to Johansson(who was a friggin stud tonight with a 40 save shutout) and it nearly was picked off. He can’t get a decent shot off because he can’t get open. Same with passing. He also wasn’t very good on the boards. I hope he gets better because he certainly doesn’t fit the Amerks’ style of play.

I’m glad I finally got to see him play live. It’s tough to watch hockey on TV in general and very tough to judge a player IMO.