Rochester Amerks 2019-2020 Season

Brawndo

Porter deserves a raise. That dude played like a badger and exposed the fluff on the team in their brief playoff appearance(which Alex was injured fo)....(gez sayin)..

I committed to renewal for a trinket before playoffs started. I won’t be so easily fooled this time...A man once said “fool me once, can’t git fooled agin”.

Edited by Ogre
Had to be true to the quote...
  • Haha (+1) 2

Olofsson, CJ Smith, Nylander, and O'Regan all might be gone next year.  Our only new Sabres talent will be Pekar, Fitzgerald, and Bryson.  Maybe they bring up Glotov from ECHL.

I expect Olofsson to default to NHL.  CJ Smith is a nice player, but we are overloaded on LW.  Nylander is an unpassionate, fringe player who I doubt even becomes an AHL star.

O'Regan is a free-agent.

Randy Sexton has a lot of work to do.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:36 AM, etiennep99 said:

Olofsson, CJ Smith, Nylander, and O'Regan all might be gone next year.  Our only new Sabres talent will be Pekar, Fitzgerald, and Bryson.  Maybe they bring up Glotov from ECHL.

I expect Olofsson to default to NHL.  CJ Smith is a nice player, but we are overloaded on LW.  Nylander is an unpassionate, fringe player who I doubt even becomes an AHL star.

O'Regan is a free-agent.

Randy Sexton has a lot of work to do.

Asplund and Oglevie should take on more minutes and both should see their production increase.

Borgen should be the team's #1 defenseman and Thompson should be a top-line player who leads the team in goals.

Next season should see an influx of talent with Samuelsson, Davidsson, Laaksonen, Weissbach, possibly picks #7 and/or #31, and hopefully some NCAA free agents.

But this is about all we have left in the system...and exactly why we need to use our draft picks to stockpile the prospect pipeline, because it's quite thin.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

Asplund and Oglevie should take on more minutes and both should see their production increase.

Borgen should be the team's #1 defenseman and Thompson should be a top-line player who leads the team in goals.

Next season should see an influx of talent with Samuelsson, Davidsson, Laaksonen, Weissbach, possibly picks #7 and/or #31, and hopefully some NCAA free agents.

But this is about all we have left in the system...and exactly why we need to use our draft picks to stockpile the prospect pipeline, because it's quite thin.

You really think Thompson starts year in Rochester? I hope he does but I think Botts forces it again because how bad ROR trade turned out. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Mitts start in Rochester too, if he is elgible. I dont think he is physically ready for the NHL.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, OhMyDahlin said:

Isn’t Sammy supposed to stay in college for another season?  And Laaxy in europe for another season?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Isn’t Sammy supposed to stay in college for another season?  And Laaxy in europe for another season?

Thought Lax was coming here this year... you could be right about Sammy... his skating needed work, not sure how he has progressed.

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Thought Lax was coming here this year... you could be right about Sammy... his skating needed work, not sure how he has progressed.

Not for a couple years...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.diebytheblade.com/platform/amp/2018/12/11/18135935/buffalo-sabres-oskari-laaksonen-signs-a-two-year-extension-with-ilves-prospects&ved=2ahUKEwik1ZOh_e_iAhWk1VkKHTXLAiYQFjAWegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1vIIQsTd6_zLnzi85_3VCg&ampcf=1

We may need a better shorthand version of his name than lax or laaxy.  The jokes already write themselves.

But anyway, they're going to need a few more Porters on this team.  With the posts already talking about this young guy and that young guy about to join the team, these AHL squads never go anywhere without those vets.  I realize the kids are the ones who most of us care about, but for the sake of the ogres and the inkys of the world who would like to actually see the team win, I hope we get a few more of these signings over the next month or so.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

We may need a better shorthand version of his name than lax or laaxy.  The jokes already write themselves.

But anyway, they're going to need a few more Porters on this team.  With the posts already talking about this young guy and that young guy about to join the team, these AHL squads never go anywhere without those vets.  I realize the kids are the ones who most of us care about, but for the sake of the ogres and the inkys of the world who would like to actually see the team win, I hope we get a few more of these signings over the next month or so.

Look at Charlotte, Syracuse and Toronto...they are driven by their young kids.

Charlotte: Necas, Roy, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Gauthier, Geekie, Bean, Fleury, McKeown, Nedeljkovic.

Toronto: Bracco, Moore, Brooks, Timashov, Engvall, Liljegren, Sandin, Rosen, Borgman, Kaskisuo.

Syracuse: Barre-Boulet, Volkov, Katchouk, Raddysh, Verhaeghe, Foote, Masin, (and their goalie was Ingram, until something happened).

Sure, there's a Cory Conacher here, or a Chris Mueller there, but for the most part these good teams are led and driven by their prospects.

The Amerks don't need more Kevin Porters, they need more high-end young talent.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:01 AM, Ogelthorpe said:

You really think Thompson starts year in Rochester? I hope he does but I think Botts forces it again because how bad ROR trade turned out. 

Wouldn't mind seeing Mitts start in Rochester too, if he is elgible. I dont think he is physically ready for the NHL.

I think Thompson starts there, but I wouldn't send Mittelstadt down...a full summer of training will help him more next season.

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

They should be brought in for the 2020-2021 season, but if they're not then they should be brought in together the following season.

Bringing them over next season would give them two full seasons in the AHL until they reached age 23...which at that age, they should be NHL ready.

I would want these kids playing and developing together in the AHL as soon as possible. (Then brought up to the Sabres together.)

• Like (+1) 1

For the record, I will be shocked and amazed if either Tage or Casey is in Roch to start the year.

Basically, each will have to show up fat and entitled. Botterill thinks they are NHL talents and kept them up all year because he thought that’s what was best for the team and for the players in the long run.

If they come back showing they took their off-season seriously, Jason will consider things are going according to plan and will be counting on last year’s development pains starting to pay off.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

For the record, I will be shocked and amazed if either Tage or Casey is in Roch to start the year.

Basically, each will have to show up fat and entitled. Botterill thinks they are NHL talents and kept them up all year because he thought that’s what was best for the team and for the players in the long run.

If they come back showing the took their off-season seriously, Jason will consider things are going according to plan and will be counting on last year’s development pains starting to pay off.

It was so weird and funny when he was talking about our core after signing Jeff Skinner, and was like "Dahlin, Eichel, Reinhart, Thompson.."

On 6/17/2019 at 3:27 AM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I am really rooting hard for this guy.  Almost unanimous knee jerk reaction from Sabrespace when he was the pick.  Shows that it's fun to run mock drafts etc. and want the Sabres to draft 'your guy' but professional scouts also have a clue at what's going on.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Love how we sign these good AHL vets to minor league contracts that the Amerks couldn’t afford on their own without any impact on the contract and cap situation with the big club.

What do you mean by "the Amerks couldn't afford on their own"?  It's the same ownership.  Sorry if I'm missing something here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/17/2019 at 2:30 PM, OhMyDahlin said:

Look at Charlotte, Syracuse and Toronto...they are driven by their young kids.

Charlotte: Necas, Roy, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Gauthier, Geekie, Bean, Fleury, McKeown, Nedeljkovic.

Toronto: Bracco, Moore, Brooks, Timashov, Engvall, Liljegren, Sandin, Rosen, Borgman, Kaskisuo.

Syracuse: Barre-Boulet, Volkov, Katchouk, Raddysh, Verhaeghe, Foote, Masin, (and their goalie was Ingram, until something happened).

Sure, there's a Cory Conacher here, or a Chris Mueller there, but for the most part these good teams are led and driven by their prospects.

The Amerks don't need more Kevin Porters, they need more high-end young talent.

This isn’t really true. You need both, that’s the reality. Charlotte’s best player was Poturalski, who’s likely a career minor leaguer. They had a veteran goalie in Tokarski who played in 5 playoff games. Tomas Jurco was one of their top players in the playoffs. Trevor Carrick on defense. 

The year before in Toronto, they had Mueller, Ben Smith, Colin Greening, LoVerde. 

You cant win in the AHL absent AHL veterans, nor can you without top prospects. 

The Amerks 100% need multiple top AHL veterans this offseason.  They’re likely losing Olofsson, Smith and O’Regan at forward. 

Re-sign Leier, qualify Elie and bring in 2-3 top 6 vets and the team would look pretty good again. 

Edited by Amerks8796

1 hour ago, shrader said:

What do you mean by "the Amerks couldn't afford on their own"?  It's the same ownership.  Sorry if I'm missing something here.

Sorry, that was kinda my point.

An independent Amerks franchise couldn’t hand out the kind of contracts the Sabres can write off as an R&D expense.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

Sorry, that was kinda my point.

An independent Amerks franchise couldn’t hand out the kind of contracts the Sabres can write off as an R&D expense.

Which seems like a pretty big dis to the franchise, city and it's fans. While we get a "free" team, we are also subject to no roster control, player shortages from attrition and tenuous on ice product due to the hit or miss nature of prospects.