How Would You Fix the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

What Should Be Jbot’s Big Move This Summer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Be Jbot’s Next Big Move This Summer?

• Acquire a top 6 center
    • Acquire a legit no .1 goalie
    • Acquire a top 4 shutdown D
    • Acquire at least one top 6 winger
    • Add more physical depth forwards
    • Trade up to get a top 4 draft pick

23 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Below I’ve outlined some trades that I think could improve the team as well as some mid tier FA targets.  Some pieces are overlapping and they couldn’t all be done within the cap, but I think they are all feasible.

Minnesota:

Zucker for Nylander+2020 2nd

Tampa:

Callahan+JT Miller for McCabe+3rd

Callahan+JT Miller+Foote for Ristolainen 

Vegas:

Haula+Colin Miller for Nylander+2019 #31+Larsson

Winnipeg:

Trouba+Perrault+Kulikov(buyout) for Ristolainen+CJ Smith+2020 3rd

Possible FA targets:  Ferland, Donskoi, Eberle, Hagelin, Stralman

If you can get Callahan and Miller for McCabe and a 3rd, I'm game on that trade.  The rest is a question.  I definitely wouldn't touch the Winnipeg trade, or Haula and Miller for 31st, Nylander and Larsson.  The Zucker trade might be a realistic option, but it likely isn't for Minnesota.

The Buffalo Sabres need more depth.  Yes they need a second line center, but unless you're overpaying for Matt Duchene's services, would he choose Buffalo over others there isn't a great crop available.  I find Hayes a player that is a black hole of a contract at north of 5.5 for more than 3 seasons.  I wouldn't touch him.  Along with depth, and a center, I still see goalie as the long term need to fix.  UPL, is likely two seasons away from taking the mantle. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think improvement at both positions is mission-critical and probably a bit more so at goalie.

I also think it's more likely that the plan will be to coach up the incumbent goalies than to bring in a new one, while it's likely that a new center will be brought in.

This is another item that JB needs to get right.

Yea, I think there's virtually zero chance Botterill brings in a goalie to compete for an NHL job. He's banking on a different goalie coach fixing it. 

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I thought Ullmark should've played the bulk of the season in Rochester.... instead of playing 1/3 of the games in BUF.     Woulda been better for his development. 

Hutton tho...

lRQGoos.jpg   

I doubt Ullmark would have cleared waivers last year

• Like (+1) 2

Find a way to bring Bob Woods back as an assistant to fix the PP now that they have a qualified & competent goalie coach.

Swap Ristolainen & sweeteners (CJ Smith and a 3rd rounder) for Trouba.

Swap Nylander & 31 for the rights to Kapanen.

Sign Hayes.  (No way that happens, but in the 14,000,006th permutation, it does.)

Sign Johansson.

Trade Scandella for prospect or pick for some extra cap room.

Bury Sobotka in AHL & hope he walks.

Lineup:

Skinner - Eichel - Kapanen

Johansson - Hayes - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittelstadt -  Olofsson

Girgensons -  Larsson - Rodrigues

Spare: Okposo (when somebody gets injured, he takes E-Rod's spot as E-Rod backfills)

Asplund or Wilson as 1st call up.

McCabe - Trouba

Dahlin - Montour

Pilut - Bogisian

Spares Nelson & Borgen (if an extra F kept up in the press box, then Borgen is 1st call up)

Hutton - Ullmark.

That lineup should be playoff bound.

And, when Dahlin & Montour start really clicking, make them the 1B pairing.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Find a way to bring Bob Woods back as an assistant to fix the PP now that they have a qualified & competent goalie coach.

Swap Ristolainen & sweeteners (CJ Smith and a 3rd rounder) for Trouba.

Swap Nylander & 31 for the rights to Kapanen.

Sign Hayes.  (No way that happens, but in the 14,000,006th permutation, it does.)

Sign Johansson.

Trade Scandella for prospect or pick for some extra cap room.

Bury Sobotka in AHL & hope he walks.

Lineup:

Skinner - Eichel - Kapanen

Johansson - Hayes - Reinhart

Sheary - Mittelstadt -  Olofsson

Girgensons -  Larsson - Rodrigues

Spare: Okposo (when somebody gets injured, he takes E-Rod's spot as E-Rod backfills)

Asplund or Wilson as 1st call up.

McCabe - Trouba

Dahlin - Montour

Pilut - Bogisian

Spares Nelson & Borgen (if an extra F kept up in the press box, then Borgen is 1st call up)

Hutton - Ullmark.

That lineup should be playoff bound.

And, when Dahlin & Montour start really clicking, make them the 1B pairing.

Fully endorsed.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Taro T

Like the lineup although I think you are over the cap.  Also how do you re-sign Montour, Mitts and Reinhart after this coming season?

Expect they can be under the cap this year; they've got a ton of room this year.

How to handle next year: follow the Hawks model.  Keep the top guys, & trade out / let walk the mid range vets (Sheary, Bogosian, & the 2 you normally want gone (Girgensons & Larsson)) & replace them with kids on ELCs.  Depending on how Mittelstadt progresses Hayes or Johansson could be tradable as well.   Teams find ways to keep the core together; once we have a core worth keeping, I'm expecting Botterill's background to be an advantage there.

And if that is over the cap this year, drop Johansson, slide Olofsson into his slot & put Thompson on the 3rd line.

Not as good, but should be good enough for playoffs.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Expect they can be under the cap this year; they've got a ton of room this year.

How to handle next year: follow the Hawks model.  Keep the top guys, & trade out / let walk the mid range vets (Sheary, Bogosian, & the 2 you normally want gone (Girgensons & Larsson)) & replace them with kids on ELCs.  Depending on how Mittelstadt progresses Hayes or Johansson could be tradable as well.   Teams find ways to keep the core together; once we have a core worth keeping, I'm expecting Botterill's background to be an advantage there.

And if that is over the cap this year, drop Johansson, slide Olofsson into his slot & put Thompson on the 3rd line.

Not as good, but should be good enough for playoffs.

I agree generally.  I feel there will be 3 ‘big’ moves, one defense, one center and one winger.  I love the idea upgrading Risto to Trouba, but worry about committing 8+ to Trouba with Dahlin and Montour needing $ in the next two years.

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree generally.  I feel there will be 3 ‘big’ moves, one defense, one center and one winger.  I love the idea upgrading Risto to Trouba, but worry about committing 8+ to Trouba with Dahlin and Montour needing $ in the next two years.

Dahlin will certainly get a monster deal, but I don't see any reason to think Montour will get anything to be concerned about. Especially with Bogosian coming off the books at the same time. 

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Dahlin will certainly get a monster deal, but I don't see any reason to think Montour will get anything to be concerned about. Especially with Bogosian coming off the books at the same time. 

Yep. Same thing with guys like Sam and Casey, they’ll get paid if they turn the ship around.

If Sam puts up 40 goals I’m going to happily pay him $9 million. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yep. Same thing with guys like Sam and Casey, they’ll get paid if they turn the ship around.

If Sam puts up 40 goals I’m going to happily pay him $9 million. 

I'd be happy he became that player, and pretty discouraged Botterill could have had him for 5 or 6. 

Trouba vs a 2nd line center.

Risto is our most valuable trade piece.  If he must go to secure a 2nd line center or Trouba, which deal does Jbot choose?  Would TB trade us Miller if we don’t include Risto?  Might they take McCabe and a 5th for Miller, a 2nd in 2019 and Callahan?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Trouba vs a 2nd line center.

Risto is our most valuable trade piece.  If he must go to secure a 2nd line center or Trouba, which deal does Jbot choose?  Would TB trade us Miller if we don’t include Risto?  Might they take McCabe and a 5th for Miller, a 2nd in 2019 and Callahan?

Tampa only wants right handed defenseman 

1 hour ago, freester said:

Tampa only wants right handed defenseman 

While I understand the "need" to balance R vs L.  I'm sure TB will look at any deal that frees up $7 + in cap space.  Who says they don't take McCabe and trade him for someone else?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I know a few trades/signings have happened so I have a leg up on ideas, but here's my plan.

Trades

Ristolainen for Ehlers, straight up. We get the top-6 winger we still need, add a major dose of speed up front, and Winnipeg gets the RHD they need in a money-in-money-out deal (for all intents and purposes).

Nelson and #31 for Miller and Callahan. We get our 2C, they get the cap space they need and some RHD help they desperately need.

Scandella to Vancouver for a 5th. We get some cap relief, and Vancouver gets another bad defensemen they seem to love collecting. More seriously, they could view him as an Edler replacement without a long-term commitment. 

Free Agency

Sign Donskoi for middle-6. $4Mx5. Overpay, but such is life.

Sign Stralman for short-term Risto replacement. $4.5Mx3. Overpay for a defensive defenseman, but such is life.

Re-sign McCabe $2.5Mx4, Girgensons or Larsson $1.5Mx1, and Rodrigues $2.5Mx4.

Other

Bury Sobotka in the AHL or loan him to Europe

Bury Hunwick and Wilson.

Final Product

Skinner-Eichel-Donskoi                                                   Dahlin-Stralman

Ehlers-Miller-Reinhart                                                      Pilut-Montour

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues                                        McCabe-Bogosian

Callahan-Girgensons/Larsson-Okposo

Team has about a million in cap space, a completely overhauled top-6, and a non-reliance on Bogosian to play a major defensive role. Obvious spots for competition on the 4th line for a young player or two to do well.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

^ I really like that line-up, seems pretty ideal to me. And realistic. 

My only question would be, who plays third pair assuming Pilut and Bogo aren't good to go to start the season. Hunwick and Borgen?

I would think there's no good reason that line-up shouldn't make the playoffs. We have issues if it can't make it or at the very least come very close. 

Edited by Thorny
Hopefully not goaltending issues

That's an entertaining wish fulfillment that would certainly be a better team, but no way do that many new names show up here by trade or free agency. Nice idea though. Pilut-Montour would get shredded but otherwise not bad.

I keep hearing how it's the "bottom six" that need an overhaul and I think that's wrong. It was the middle 6 that were/are the problem. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Can we fix this team without trading away Ristolainen?

I keep trying to come up with scenarios, but each time I think we don't have enough trade bait or FA interest to get it done.

For example:  Which 2nd line center can we get?  FAs: Hayes has signed, Duchene would break the bank, and Johansson looks to be staying in Boston.  Dzingel is a possibility, but would he really be interested in coming here with so many other and seemingly better options available.  

So what about trades?  I've been campaigning for Miller since our season ended.  Would TB even trade him inside the division?  If they do, Callahan is almost certainly part of the deal.  So what would Miller and Callahan cost us? They are going to want Ristolainen.  Would they accept Nylander as enough for clearing 11 mill in cap including taking Callahan off their hands?  

So even if we get Miller, we are  still short one defensive D and two second line wingers.  Maybe Donskoi or Ferlund would sign with us, maybe.  But with 11 mill extra cap hit from Miller and Callahan can we afford two winger like Donskoi and Ferlund and retain McCabe, Erod and Ullmark?

Also I think we need to move on from Huwick and Scandella.  This should allow us to get both wingers, assuming both guys will sign here.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.