How Would You Fix the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

What Should Be Jbot’s Big Move This Summer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Be Jbot’s Next Big Move This Summer?

• Acquire a top 6 center
    • Acquire a legit no .1 goalie
    • Acquire a top 4 shutdown D
    • Acquire at least one top 6 winger
    • Add more physical depth forwards
    • Trade up to get a top 4 draft pick

Below I’ve outlined some trades that I think could improve the team as well as some mid tier FA targets.  Some pieces are overlapping and they couldn’t all be done within the cap, but I think they are all feasible.

Minnesota:

Zucker for Nylander+2020 2nd

Tampa:

Callahan+JT Miller for McCabe+3rd

Callahan+JT Miller+Foote for Ristolainen 

Vegas:

Haula+Colin Miller for Nylander+2019 #31+Larsson

Winnipeg:

Trouba+Perrault+Kulikov(buyout) for Ristolainen+CJ Smith+2020 3rd

Possible FA targets:  Ferland, Donskoi, Eberle, Hagelin, Stralman

Edited by Curtisp5286

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would change The OP Avatar’s for starters.?

There have been a total of 71 NHL Games played by players drafted after the First Round in 2017. 42 of those have been played by two players Bathurst for Ottawa and Comtois for Anaheim. 

There have been zero games played by anyone drafted after the First Round in 2018. 

So it’s very premature to make any conclusions about Botterill’s Drafting Acumen one way or another. 

In Three Years of Drafts 2014-2016 only Reinhart and Eichel have played over 82 games. 

Out of the rest of GMTM’s Selections there have  been a total of 130 Games played by 5 players. 

Leumieux leads the pack with 72, Guhle is second at 29. 

Nylander tops the list of players who remain Sabres Property with 19. 

Oloffson, Borgen, Asplund and Fitzgerald are the closest to the NHL, the latter two have not appeared in the NHL as of yet. 

In terms of improving the team. 

1. Hire Mike Vellucci as an Asst Coach to run on ice strategy. 

2. Trade Risto to Tampa for JT Miller, Foote, Callahan and 2020 2nd

3. Sign Jonas Donskoi 3 years 10 Million

4. Talk to Joe Pavelski if The Sharks elect to move on. 

It ain’t happening, but Pavelski would be so perfect for us.

• Like (+1) 1

From one point of view JBot has already made two big moves geared toward this season; he re-signed Skinner and acquired Montour.  

That said, no way he stands pat this off-season.  We can no longer afford to waste Sam and Jack's youth.  This is the time to add and Jbot will as he knows (as we do) that this team needs another good center and needs to improve significantly in the standings.  

I expect at least two more major moves to upgrade the top 6 forwards.  One maybe a measured signing like Donskoi or Marcus Johansson.  One will also likely be a value type trade like getting Miller from TB or Zucker from Minn.  I also expect us to add a minimum of one defensive D.

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

this is an easy question to answer - find yourself the next Binnington.

We also need a team capable of beating teams like the Bruins in a 7 game series when our Binnington gets outplayed by their Rask. 

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From one point of view JBot has already made two big moves geared toward this season; he re-signed Skinner and acquired Montour.  

That said, no way he stands pat this off-season.  We can no longer afford to waste Sam and Jack's youth.  This is the time to add and Jbot will as he knows (as we do) that this team needs another good center and needs to improve significantly in the standings.  

I expect at least two more major moves to upgrade the top 6 forwards.  One maybe a measured signing like Donskoi or Marcus Johansson.  One will also likely be a value type trade like getting Miller from TB or Zucker from Minn.  I also expect us to add a minimum of one defensive D.

I can totally see a Donskoi type signing. I meant I don’t see them stepping into the big-money, long term world.

The defensive D idea is interesting, because I can see the need for a Stralman type. But it would also mean we are moving someone out because we have 6 NHL guys, five of them on fairly large tickets, plus serviceable depth with Nelson and Pilut, with guys like Borgen and Samuelsson coming who should be able to defend.

With Dahlin and Montour looking for big hikes on their next contracts I’m not sure how much Botterill will be willing to spend.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

For me definitely a centre who can win his matchups.

No question a center is the highest priority.

The question is how does it get done? Sign a medium priced UFA (Johansson?) , big time trade (Trade Ristolainen?) or pick/prospect type trade (such as the Skinner  deal)?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

For me, it has to be a #2/3 C, no doubt.  

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

For me definitely a centre who can win his matchups.

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No question a center is the highest priority.

Hear Hear! No doubt about it. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

In all seriousness, Skinner was the Sabres big UFA signing. I will be surprised if they give a big contract to anyone else. Nobody worth paying the dollars they will demand over term that is a good fit.

I will also be surprised if they don’t acquire a secondline forward in trade.

Here's the problem with this in terms of the team being better (and being better is the goal after all). Technically Skinner is a FA signing but we already saw him at his best with us so signing him is status quo at best. No improvement. Just the same or less even if that was a career year, which I think it likely was.

Nobody is a good fit? I don't know how that's possible since we are so thin on the wings we could easily fit anyone in and get an upgrade. Tage isn't likely to suddenly change. Casey might (just might but not for sure) be better but after the top line we got nothing much.

So, acquiring that secondline forward in trade. Definitely need one (I'd say we need 2 or 3 but let's say 1) how do we get that without giving up talent that we are already in short supply of? Obviously, it's Risto. Who else? Are we then not worse on D? More likely it'll end up ROR v2. 

I just don't see a way out of this without a long rebuild with a  really good run of draft picks so maybe by year 5 of JBot's plan we might be good but only if he hits on multiple draft picks, otherwise, I just don't see it. 

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Here's the problem with this in terms of the team being better (and being better is the goal after all). Technically Skinner is a FA signing but we already saw him at his best with us so signing him is status quo at best. No improvement. Just the same or less even if that was a career year, which I think it likely was.

Nobody is a good fit? I don't know how that's possible since we are so thin on the wings we could easily fit anyone in and get an upgrade. Tage isn't likely to suddenly change. Casey might (just might but not for sure) be better but after the top line we got nothing much.

So, acquiring that secondline forward in trade. Definitely need one (I'd say we need 2 or 3 but let's say 1) how do we get that without giving up talent that we are already in short supply of? Obviously, it's Risto. Who else? Are we then not worse on D? More likely it'll end up ROR v2. 

I just don't see a way out of this without a long rebuild with a  really good run of draft picks so maybe by year 5 of JBot's plan we might be good but only if he hits on multiple draft picks, otherwise, I just don't see it. 

I hear your concerns, but I think your timeline is overly pessimistic.  Lets say Oloffson hits, that is one winger and likely, Thompson who knows, but he has moments where he looks the part.  Weisbach could be a hidden gem and Roustalainen and I still think Nylander steps up.  Sabres have 2 first rounders this year and betting they go forward on both.  On top of which you have Laaksonen, Borgen, Hickey and Samuelson developing and all look like potential NHL D.  So something will have to give on D and there is where the opportunity lies for improving sooner via the trade route.  It may be 2-3 years, but not 5.  

49 minutes ago, nucci said:

Goalie

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Center. 

I think improvement at both positions is mission-critical and probably a bit more so at goalie.

I also think it's more likely that the plan will be to coach up the incumbent goalies than to bring in a new one, while it's likely that a new center will be brought in.

This is another item that JB needs to get right.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I actually think the goalies will be fine when the defense stops being the complete trash pile of the century it was last season. 

Isn't that Binnington's story?  When he came in, he played well enough to lift the Blues out of the dumps, but by the time the playoffs got here, if their D broke down, he was 50/50 on being able to carry the games.

11 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I hear your concerns, but I think your timeline is overly pessimistic.  Lets say Oloffson hits, that is one winger and likely, Thompson who knows, but he has moments where he looks the part.  Weisbach could be a hidden gem and Roustalainen and I still think Nylander steps up.  Sabres have 2 first rounders this year and betting they go forward on both.  On top of which you have Laaksonen, Borgen, Hickey and Samuelson developing and all look like potential NHL D.  So something will have to give on D and there is where the opportunity lies for improving sooner via the trade route.  It may be 2-3 years, but not 5.  

You could be right, but it will require a lot of JBot's drafting to be spot on as well as some quick development from a few. I think Oloffson can and will play for us next year but I don't think he will be as good (durable or consistent) as some think. Tage? Not optimistic on him. Said it before, he could be a great power forward if he beefed up and got mean, but that's not him and I don't think it ever will be. imo gonna be a bust. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I actually think the goalies will be fine when the defense stops being the complete trash pile of the century it was last season. 

Personally I think Luukkonen will keep surprising and become a great goalie in a shorter time then people think.We might just have a new star in the making there. Just a question of how soon for me. I'm hoping one year in Rochester, then back up with the big club and steals the job by the end of that year. I could be overly optimistic on that pathway. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

You could be right, but it will require a lot of JBot's drafting to be spot on as well as some quick development from a few. I think Oloffson can and will play for us next year but I don't think he will be as good (durable or consistent) as some think. Tage? Not optimistic on him. Said it before, he could be a great power forward if he beefed up and got mean, but that's not him and I don't think it ever will be. imo gonna be a bust. 

Personally I think Luukkonen will keep surprising and become a great goalie in a shorter time then people think.We might just have a new star in the making there. Just a question of how soon for me. I'm hoping one year in Rochester, then back up with the big club and steals the job by the end of that year. I could be overly optimistic on that pathway. 

I also think it's too early to give up on Ullmark.

43 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I'm not giving up on him but at the moment he is too erratic and makes dumb errors. Bad fundamentals. idk about this Bales guy, seems like JBot just tapping his Pitt well again but Murray is pretty good so maybe a good coach will fix Ullmark. Hope so. 

and why was there no all of the above option in the poll? :)

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But if they're not, our season is shot already. Do you take that chance?  Not sure what other options are out there, but this makes me more nervous about the upcoming season than any other position.

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I thought Ullmark should've played the bulk of the season in Rochester.... instead of playing 1/3 of the games in BUF.     Woulda been better for his development. 

Hutton tho...

lRQGoos.jpg   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.