Dahlin and 60 point summit

LGR4GM

Dahlin Points  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many points this season (2019/20) will Rasmus Dahlin score?

• 44 or less points
    • 45-59 points
    • 60 or more points

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Really? You can’t make the connection to the Risto thread where all you see is hot garbage?

He literally is hot garbage defensively. Then ppl say "well he's young and you gotta give him a chance!" He's a 6 year nhl veteran with over 400 games played, he's exactly what he is. The only thing fixing him is sheltered minutes with a good partner to cover his "atrocious defensive gaffes". 

Back to Dahlin. He's going to be the great defender on the team starting this season. His ceiling is unlimited. I'm pumped to see what another offseason of training and coaching does for him.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So Dahlin is 6'3" and supposedly played last year at 190lbs. I'm curious to see if they try to up his weight and add muscle. I'd feel like 200lbs would help him and give him some good mass in the corners. 

At his age, I think it’s inevitable that he will up his weight. Good lord, he’s going to be a monster to play against. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yupppp and you want to see the negative so you do. That's what gets you going, being negative about everything constantly. Comparing Myers to Dahlin is laughable. 

He made minor errors but you make it sound like he was trainwreck in his own zone. What's actually incredible is how wrong you are. I went back and looked at his stats and I gotta say got someone making "atrocious" defensive plays he's really good at not being bad at possession, entries, exits, shot suppression. I bet there's 1 play you're thinking of and that's where all this comes from. 

Dahlin is the best defender on the team. I'm willing to bet on it. 

One play, yes. Per game. If I were Randall, I'd have a lowlight reel for you. How about this? Instead of you being positive and clearly ignoring the negative, be more like me: balanced. I pointed out the good and the bad plays all season in GDTs. Your sugar coating of his defensive play makes you seem a little insecure about your opinion of his impending greatness.

And I didn't directly compare Myers and Dahlin. I compared the situations. Sometimes very good rookie defensemen don't get better.

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

One play, yes. Per game. If I were Randall, I'd have a lowlight reel for you. How about this? Instead of you being positive and clearly ignoring the negative, be more like me: balanced. I pointed out the good and the bad plays all season in GDTs. Your sugar coating of his defensive play makes you seem a little insecure about your opinion of his impending greatness.

And I didn't directly compare Myers and Dahlin. I compared the situations. Sometimes very good rookie defensemen don't get better.

Lol you're not balanced. 

And now I'm insecure. Wow enlightening. Thank you PA, you helped me decide something. 

Edited by LGR4GM

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol you're not balanced. 

And now I'm insecure. Wow enlightening. Thank you PA, you helped me decide something. 

PA is more balanced than you think.

…and you literally meant figuratively.

Dahlin made mistakes, some of them very bad.  However, they were not specifically defensive mistakes and were not actually that frequent.  They occurred in all 3 zones.  They were mostly normal rookie mistakes that should clean up with experience.  The mistakes stood out because he was made while actually trying to make plays.  Over time he’ll figure out what he can and cannot do.

By the end of the season, he was the best defenseman on the team and that is going to be the case for quite some time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Craig Rivet talked about Myers and his first few years with the Sabres on the Instigators. 

His rookie season the coaching staff gave him free reign and did not correct his mistakes. In subsequent seasons the coaching staff had a difficult time correcting these mistakes as the player’s hockey IQ wasn’t the highest. The impression was that Myers felt I could do this as a rookie so it should work now, not realizing the league had adjusted to him. 

Compare this to Dahlin. He did make his fair share of mistakes particularly later in the season as fatigue set in, but rarely was the same mistake made twice. Dahlin consistently sought out advice after shifts and watched film breakdown with the coaches after games.  

There is a story circulating that Dahlin was sent home on a few of the Sabres scheduled off days after coming in to watch film. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Craig Rivet talked about Myers and his first few years with the Sabres on the Instigators. 

His rookie season the coaching staff gave him free reign and did not correct his mistakes. In subsequent seasons the coaching staff had a difficult time correcting these mistakes as the player’s hockey IQ wasn’t the highest. The impression was that Myers felt I could do this as a rookie so it should work now, not realizing the league had adjusted to him. 

Compare this to Dahlin. He did make his fair share of mistakes particularly later in the season as fatigue set in, but rarely was the same mistake made twice. Dahlin consistently sought out advice after shifts and watched film breakdown with the coaches after games.  

There is a story circulating that Dahlin was sent home on a few of the Sabres scheduled off days after coming in to watch film. 

Am I right in believing that this is something agreed upon in the CBA? Don’t they have to send him home?

Edited by #freejame
Not that it takes anything away, more of a CBA question.

Came across this video of Dahlin showing off his condo that he shares with Case Mittlestadt.    

Casey makes an appearance at the 4:20 mark... he's zoned in on a Fortnite match, and he reaches for and hides a chewing tobacco tin in his lap.   The water bottle is clearly his spitter.   Should we be concerned about Casey?   Video games and chewing tobacco?    Not a good look for him IMO.   

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Came across this video of Dahlin showing off his condo that he shares with Case Mittlestadt.    

Casey makes an appearance at the 4:20 mark... he's zoned in on a Fortnite match, and he reaches for and hides a chewing tobacco tin in his lap.   The water bottle is clearly his spitter.   Should we be concerned about Casey?   Video games and chewing tobacco?    Not a good look for him IMO.   

Jack did an interview fairly recently with a fuuuuuuuullllllll lipperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And I'm relieved if you're sure that it's tobacco because my first impression on seeing the video was it being weed

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Jack did an interview fairly recently with a fuuuuuuuullllllll lipperrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And I'm relieved if you're sure that it's tobacco because my first impression on seeing the video was it being weed

If you look frame by frame, you can see the tin sitting next to the empty water bottle before he reaches for it.

This video appears to have been shot during the season?   I now have this image in my head of Casey where he just sits in his room all day ripping through tins of chewing tobacco to fuel his Fortnite addiction.        Prove me wrong Casey!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If you look frame by frame, you can see the tin sitting next to the empty water bottle before he reaches for it.

This video appears to have been shot during the season?   I now have this image in my head of Casey where he just sits in his room all day ripping through tins of chewing tobacco to fuel his Fortnite addiction.        Prove me wrong Casey!

I'm not sure when it was filmed, but I'm pretty sure it didn't hit the internet until after the season ended. Then again, you're probably right, because it appears that Casey bases himself in Minnesota when the season is over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting discussion above. I thought I had a good handle on the number of giveaways (particularly the egregious ones) Dahlin made, but when I re-watched about 15 Sabres games in April and May, it was a lot more than I remembered. It's legitimately worth talking about, and a thing he has to fix. I remember Karlsson's rookie year, and he wasn't as good offensively, but I don't remember him being quite like that with the puck (he was sometimes overwhelmed without it). That's the weird thing about Dahlin's gaffes - they come when he should be operating from one of his strengths. I expected numerous defensive coverage/decision making/physically-overwhelmed errors. I didn't expect anywhere near the amount of fairly low pressure hand grenades with the puck on his stick. I'm not worried about it, but it's not something to gloss over either. 

And bad Dahlin plays single-handedly lead to quite a few ENGs against, and more narrow misses (like against TB - Kucherov of all people missed a wide open net). He'll settle down, but people shouldn't be averse to discussing the flaws of this organization and its players, particularly the golden ones 

And yes, he was amazeballs on the breakout and had uncountable numbers of small, wonderful plays defensively and offensively that we should never take for granted 

Edited by Randall Flagg

45 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I had to pause this just to post that it will break my heart if Dahlin ever leaves Buffalo.  He is just so uber-talented but then to be down to earth and so humble as well?  No matter what happens I want this guy to be the face of Buffalo for the next 15 to 20 years.  Yes I love Eichel too.

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

4:20 mark? Some video editor has a good sense of humor.

56 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If Casey smokes weed and chews tobacco the only thing that would make him is a hockey player. 

I was going to say something similar.

There was also a beer in the fridge, and I demand to know who bought it for them!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.