Dahlin and 60 point summit

LGR4GM

Dahlin Points  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How many points this season (2019/20) will Rasmus Dahlin score?

• 44 or less points
    • 45-59 points
    • 60 or more points

60 or more points in 2019-20?  Man, I don’t know.  He is capable, the talent is there, but will depend on so many things.  He will only be 19, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a rough patch at some point.

60+ points at some point in his career, perhaps even annually, is a near given though.  Would be surprised to see a few 70-80 point seasons a few years down the road.

I looked at Dahlin's game logs for last year and broke them out into roughly 12 game chunks:

image.png.6a62ae0bb0694268021e23906736fd97.png

Not counting the 1st twelve games where he was finding his rhythm, his ppg average from game 13-82 was .57 ppg. To hit 60 points he'd need to increase his output by ~2 points for each 12 game block. For him, I think that will be no problem at all.

• Like (+1) 6

22 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I looked at Dahlin's game logs for last year and broke them out into roughly 12 game chunks:

image.png.6a62ae0bb0694268021e23906736fd97.png

Not counting the 1st twelve games where he was finding his rhythm, his ppg average from game 13-82 was .57 ppg. To hit 60 points he'd need to increase his output by ~2 points for each 12 game block. For him, I think that will be no problem at all.

Love the math.  Now add that he'll probably be the fulltime PP QB and start skating 25 minutes a night.

I hope he works on his shot and specifically one timer this summer.  Eichel demands so much attention on the opposite half wall on the pp that there will be some great looks for him going forward.  Stick Reinhart in front and I could see Dahlin hitting 60 this year.

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I hope he works on his shot and specifically one timer this summer.  Eichel demands so much attention on the opposite half wall on the pp that there will be some great looks for him going forward.  Stick Reinhart in front and I could see Dahlin hitting 60 this year.

Agree. I can picture several instances where he connected on one-timers on the PP and was just a little off, either shooting wide or into the goalie. He probably should have had another 5 goals from last season on those PP one-timers.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

60 or more points in 2019-20?  Man, I don’t know.  He is capable, the talent is there, but will depend on so many things.  He will only be 19, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a rough patch at some point.

60+ points at some point in his career, perhaps even annually, is a near given though.  Would be surprised to see a few 70-80 point seasons a few years down the road.

You mean would NOT, I take it. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Agree. I can picture several instances where he connected on one-timers on the PP and was just a little off, either shooting wide or into the goalie. He probably should have had another 5 goals from last season on those PP one-timers.

Also, I think the real question we need to be asking ourselves is, "How many 100 point seasons will he have in his career?" I'm hoping at least 15

Can see him in the 60's, especially if he's the top PP QB or working the right half wall opposite Eichel & that unit isn't a tire fire again.  But the expectationis probably just below that & at least 55.

Speaking of the PP, at least until the offseason deals are done (and we know who else comes in that can score) would like to see Montour at the point, Eichel & Dahlin at 1/2 walls, Reinhart low & Skinner at high slot.  If Skinner doesn't work there, slide him to far 1/2 wall & put Mittelstadt high slot running w/ only 1 D.  (Dahlin or Montour)

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Goals?

Respeck!

Dahlin has said in past interviews that the one timer was something he wasn't used to doing in the past & that given how much it was used & how important it was, that it'd be 1 part of his game that he was really gonna work on. So i imagine he's doing just that & going forward it'll be much improved from last year.

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Can see him in the 60's, especially if he's the top PP QB or working the right half wall opposite Eichel & that unit isn't a tire fire again.  But the expectationis probably just below that & at least 55.

Speaking of the PP, at least until the offseason deals are done (and we know who else comes in that can score) would like to see Montour at the point, Eichel & Dahlin at 1/2 walls, Reinhart low & Skinner at high slot.  If Skinner doesn't work there, slide him to far 1/2 wall & put Mittelstadt high slot running w/ only 1 D.  (Dahlin or Montour)

I'd like to see Eichel on his strong side half wall.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

He needs to improve that shot if he is going to permanently supplant Risto. The way he can walk the line and find open shooters is sublime, but that right-side backdoor muffin wouldn’t scare Darcy Wakaluk.

I really wonder how Krueger will tweak the PP. He’s said he prefers to quarterback it from the half-wall.

Is Jack the fulcrum, or will Rasmus take more of the responsibility while Jack slips more into a Stamkos/Ovechkin role?

Sam was surprisingly ineffective on screens and tips last year. Will Ralph look to utilize his passing more and have Jeff coming out from the corner?

O’Reilly was really missed on the right wall. Can Casey do that role?

Okposo has been one of the league’s best PP producers over his career and was still one of our leading PP scorers despite a drastically reduced role.

Does tage’s cannon fit somewhere? How about Montour’s puck carrying and heady point play? Risto? Will we add a big body to crash the net?

I see lots of potential for the PP to be dominant with a coach who can make the pieces fit.

Edited by dudacek

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'd like to see Eichel on his strong side half wall.

Why?

Not necessarily opposed to it, but curious why.  Having him & Dahlin (or Skinner) on their opposite 1/2 walls, both are set nicely for the 1 timer & both (Jack & Rasmus) are slick enough passers to still pass well when set up on that offhand side.  Would expect the improved angle for the1 timer more than offsets any reduction in playmaking.

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why?

Not necessarily opposed to it, but curious why.  Having him & Dahlin (or Skinner) on their opposite 1/2 walls, both are set nicely for the 1 timer & both (Jack & Rasmus) are slick enough passers to still pass well when set up on that offhand side.  Would expect the improved angle for the1 timer more than offsets any reduction in playmaking.

To me, Eichel is wildly inaccurate with his shot, and I believe him to be among the best playmakers in the league. My view is why fight it. It's a long time ago now and a small sample size, but I remember watching a pre-draft Eichel at the Worlds looking outstanding on his strong side half wall with USA. He was feeding pucks for tap-in goals with Brock Nelson.

Let him primarily dish on the PP so his skills are maximized and he isn't firing it around the boards back into his own zone every second try. Let him cash the odd PP goal from a bad angle wrist shot, which is more accurate than his slapper by far. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.