GDT SC Final Game 7: St.Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins, 8:00pm EDT

WildCard

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. I was looking at 67-68 finals.

I thought that might be the case.

Anyway, no biggie.  

The Blues were really something back then.  An expansion team getting to the finals their first 3 seasons.  Talk about the powers that be not wanting them to win it back then, especially against 2 original 6 teams with long histories, well all the original 6 teams had long histories, but that's besides the point.  And what did that get the Blues?  A 50 year wondering in the desert, until no one remembers the 3 previous trips to the finals.

I have opened up my kiosk.  Tin foil hats anyone?  Anyone for a tin foil hat?

On 6/13/2019 at 12:04 AM, jad1 said:

ryan oreilly GIF

Never would have guessed that thing was hollow.

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Only when he was in Buffalo.

Which reminds me. The Cup weighs 35 pounds. I can understand athletes having no trouble lifting it over their heads, but there were old-ish dudes manhandling the thing as well. Kind of impressive. Adrenaline?

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are we speaking English or robot? In this context, "return" means the Cup is going back to where it once belonged. It never belonged in or to St. Louis. When the Sabres win the Cup, will it be returning to Buffalo?

This is really important to you, isn't it?

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I thought that might be the case.

Anyway, no biggie.  

The Blues were really something back then.  An expansion team getting to the finals their first 3 seasons.  Talk about the powers that be not wanting them to win it back then, especially against 2 original 6 teams with long histories, well all the original 6 teams had long histories, but that's besides the point.  And what did that get the Blues?  A 50 year wondering in the desert, until no one remembers the 3 previous trips to the finals.

I have opened up my kiosk.  Tin foil hats anyone?  Anyone for a tin foil hat?

Prior to the '70 expansion, the Western (expansion) Conference & Eastern (original 6) Conference played their playoffs within conference.

With the expansion to 14, the league got tired of having the Original 6 team sweep St. Louisin the Finals, so they made 2 tweaks.  Rather than give the WC another expansion team, both Buffalo & Vancouver played in the EC with Chicago switching to the WC (keeping St. Louis, who was still the best expansion team from winning the Campbell Trophy for a 3rd time in 4 years) they also had the Quarterfinal Winners play across conferences in the Semis with those winners meeting in the Finals meaning they'd likely have 2 original 6 teams in the Finals.  Which was the result until the final year that format was used and the Phlyers beat Bahstan to become the 1st expansion champion.  Interestingly, Chicago actually made it to the Finals 2 of the 3 prior years under this Format, so it was only EC team vs EC teamin '72 when Bahstan beat the Blue Shirts.

Also, it took St. Louis 20 playoff games to FINALLY win A game vs Original 6 teams, preventing a 5th sweep against them when they won the 4th game vs Chicago in the Quarter Finals in '73.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Isn't Jack Eichel's twitter @jackeichel15 ?

Also, can someone explain what it means? Why does it look like he was in attendance? Couldn't the pic be one he grabbed somewhere? And who's Fact Daddy? Bill O'Reilly, O'Reilly Factor, Ryan O'Reilly, Factor, Fact Daddy?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Also, can someone explain what it means? Why does it look like he was in attendance? Couldn't the pic be one he grabbed somewhere? And who's Fact Daddy? Bill O'Reilly, O'Reilly Factor, Ryan O'Reilly, Factor, Fact Daddy?

Looks like he was there. 

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Prolly rooting on the Bruins, ugh 

So double kick to Jack's backside, his nemesis wins the cup/mvp

And his hometown team loses

And his Warriors lost to my Raptors. 

Edited by Thorny
Boardman gets paid
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, shrader said:

I was trying to figure out what the deal with his t-shirt in inky's post was.  So now it's half figured out.  I still don't have a clue what the Ric Flair reference is.

It's a reference to a rap song called Ric Flair Drip. One of the lines in the song is "Ric Flair drip go wooo on a b***h" . Urban dictionary can explain it much better. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.