Alex Nylander Watch 2.0

darksabre

Nylander in 2019-2020  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How far does Nylander go this year?

• Plateau season for the Amerks
    • Better season for the Amerks
    • Occasional call-up to the Sabres
    • Significant ice time for the Sabres
    • Other

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I find it pretty remarkable that almost half of poll respondents think Nylander is going to get significant ice time for the Sabres this year, after 3 years of mediocre production in the AHL and nothing more than a couple of uneventful cups of coffee at the NHL level.

For anyone who voted this way -- I'd be interested to hear/read your reasoning.

I think he could be shipped out as part of a deal. Surprised if he has a future here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I find it pretty remarkable that almost half of poll respondents think Nylander is going to get significant ice time for the Sabres this year, after 3 years of mediocre production in the AHL and nothing more than a couple of uneventful cups of coffee at the NHL level.

Watching Nylander last year live in the A twice and on the Sabres, I was interested to see how he was.  He seems not to have found his linemates, but I noticed especially in the A guys running at him and not being fazed by it and his skating ability especially carrying the puck up ice was very good.  Needs to let go of his shot more, but the guy can skate and is a lot bigger than his brother.  I think if he finds the right linemates who are positive and that he trusts both on ice and off he will break out.  It may mean a change of scenery, but I think the Sabres should give him a chance on the big club and see what he brings.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kadri would be interesting. Mean and dirty with offensive skills. We could use some of that for sure, even if he does dumb things from time to time. 

Plus we don't make the playoffs anyway, so he can lose his repeat offender status for suspensions!

Here's my take on Nylander.  JBotts did not draft him so he is not invested in him.  If he can package him in a trade he probably will.  Nylander to me is still all about potential and not actual production.  He is one of a few from his first round draft class who has not been effective yet in the NHL.  

Does JBott give him the opportunity but if he falters then you are stuck with nothing but a player who probably goes back overseas after his ELC expires in two years.  

If you trade him and he develops and flourishes with another team then JBotts is considered a bad GM because he was not patient.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Last September, Nylander was just as deserving of a roster spot as Mitts and Tage. But (probably) because Nylander wasn't one of JBot's guys, he was demoted. Mitts and Tage went on to do jack sh!t with the Sabres last year. Nylander was actually performing really well with Rochester for a long stretch of time. He trailed off for a while, and I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps injuries? Perhaps he's mentally fatigued from being poorly and unfairly handled by arguably the most incompetent franchise in the league? Nylander still has all the physical tools to be a 1st-line NHL RW. His problems are entirely mental, but this entire ***** team has mental problems, so he'll probably fit right in with these guys in the fall. Or maybe just trade the guy. Whatever. I don't ***** care anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

Bailey, Baptiste, Grigorenko, Adam, Catennacci....which of the other Hopefuls that just needed more time/change of scenery am I forgetting?

I am guilty of not wanting to give up on Grigs...but I was wrong. Something something lipsticks and pigs. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Bailey, Baptiste, Grigorenko, Adam, Catennacci....which of the other Hopefuls that just needed more time/change of scenery am I forgetting?

I am guilty of not wanting to give up on Grigs...but I was wrong. Something something lipsticks and pigs. 

I hear ya. I've been as big a anti-Alex proponent on this board but I feel like he needs one last audition. Give him 10 games in the top six.  If it bears fruit, we all benefit.  If not cut ties and move on. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Some players are late bloomers, I guess I'm hoping that is what Nylander is. But I do completely understand those who are more than skeptical. After all, 28, 27 and 31 points in 3 seasons in the AHL is not exactly screaming progression enough to warrant NHL ice time.

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Some players are late bloomers, I guess I'm hoping that is what Nylander is. But I do completely understand those who are more than skeptical. After all, 28, 27 and 31 points in 3 seasons in the AHL is not exactly screaming progression enough to warrant NHL ice time.

... you know what's odd though? If you actual take 2 seconds and note he played 65, 51, and then 49 games instead of just dropping some meaningless raw numbers you would actually see the progression he's made. 

0.431ppg

0.529ppg

0.633ppg

So in reality his production if he played 65 games was:

I'm not saying that makes him an nhl player but it adds more context and proves he's progressed. Considering he won't be 22 until march, I'd like to see him get 1 more chance. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... you know what's odd though? If you actual take 2 seconds and note he played 65, 51, and then 49 games instead of just dropping some meaningless raw numbers you would actually see the progression he's made. 

0.431ppg

0.529ppg

0.633ppg

So in reality his production if he played 65 games was:

I'm not saying that makes him an nhl player but it adds more context and proves he's progressed. Considering he won't be 22 until march, I'd like to see him get 1 more chance. 

Maybe your correct, hard to say really. But in my response, if you took the 2 seconds to notice, I guessed I was hoping he was a late bloomer then went on to say why I understood some were skeptical of him.

I to would like to see him given an opportunity in training camp and preseason.

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kadri would be interesting. Mean and dirty with offensive skills. We could use some of that for sure, even if he does dumb things from time to time. 

I don’t mind mean. But I mind dirty and dumb. And Kadri has that in abundance. Too much for me to want him on the Sabres. No thanks. Hard pass.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I did notice, because I had to read that to get to the part about "no progression" which was what I was responding about. 

As can be clearly seen from the stats below, there is very little to non-existent progression on the score sheet for Nylander when you view his goals/points per games played per AHL season. They remain pretty steady across those three seasons. Which indicates he's leveled off, at least at the AHL level. For example, his first season, being so young, new to the pro game, can be understood, but the next 2 AHL seasons, 51 and 49 games respectively, his goal totals of 8 and 12 as well as his point totals of 27 and 31 respectively are on the same plain roughly. I don't see the significant progression your speaking of, even the numbers you show are not significant in the least. You have your view on him, I have mine, but once again, here are the numbers I am looking at.

Rochester Americans AHL   65 10 18 28 -24 6 |              
  Sweden U20 (all) International-Jr   8 5 9 14 7 0 |              
  Sweden U20 WJC-20   7 5 7 12 7 0 |              
2017-18 Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres NHL   3 1 0 1 -3 0 |              
  Rochester Americans AHL   51 8 19 27 3 10 | PLAYOFFS 3 0 0 0 -1 0
  Sweden U20 (all) International-Jr   7 1 6 7 3 2 |              
  Sweden U20 WJC-20   7 1 6 7 3 2 |              
2018-19 Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres NHL   12 2 2 4 -4 4 |              
  Rochester Americans AHL   49 12 19 31

I gave you his points per game totals. Across the season's. They go up .1 basically each season. 

If you want to focus on his goals, run the numbers on them. They go up too. He hasn't leveled out, he just hasn't had a big jump. 

Edited by LGR4GM

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I did notice, because I had to read that to get to the part about "no progression" which was what I was responding about. 

He didn't say no progression, he said "not exactly screaming progression enough..." which I think means he hasn't progressed as fast or as much as you'd like to see. I too however, would like to see him get a last chance but mostly because we don't have many other options. If we can somehow get good enough that he becomes irrelevant that'd be more than ok. Or, a good trade, that'd be ok too. 

Still gonna say a 3rd line of Mitts, Nylander Oloffson works for me to start the season and if it fails, send them all back to Rochester, but maybe, just maybe a youthful line of speed might work. Worth a try imo.  

The fact is nobody, including many GM's, don't know what to expect regarding Nylander.  He could blossom or remain stagnant this year.  If he flops, his value next year will be little.  I'd be in for trading him now while he still has perceived value.  In fact his value in a trade may never be higher than it is now.  I've seen too many Prospect to Suspect to Reject progressions over the years.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I like mean and dirty on my team but Kadri acts like such a wuss. He's the epitome of fake tough. I would be interested to see it but not sure if I'm interested enough to endure it. If that makes any sense. 

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

I like mean and dirty on my team but Kadri acts like such a wuss. He's the epitome of fake tough. I would be interested to see it but not sure if I'm interested enough to endure it. If that makes any sense. 

On 6/15/2019 at 10:51 AM, Zamboni said:

I don’t mind mean. But I mind dirty and dumb. And Kadri has that in abundance. Too much for me to want him on the Sabres. No thanks. Hard pass.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I think with Kadri, he isn’t actually mean.  He is just dirty and prone to poor judgment.

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He didn't say no progression, he said "not exactly screaming progression enough..." which I think means he hasn't progressed as fast or as much as you'd like to see. I too however, would like to see him get a last chance but mostly because we don't have many other options. If we can somehow get good enough that he becomes irrelevant that'd be more than ok. Or, a good trade, that'd be ok too. 

Still gonna say a 3rd line of Mitts, Nylander Oloffson works for me to start the season and if it fails, send them all back to Rochester, but maybe, just maybe a youthful line of speed might work. Worth a try imo.  

That 3rd line sounds fine. Who is on the second line?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.