Alex Nylander Watch 2.0

darksabre

Nylander in 2019-2020  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How far does Nylander go this year?

• Plateau season for the Amerks
    • Better season for the Amerks
    • Occasional call-up to the Sabres
    • Significant ice time for the Sabres
    • Other

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Your dream world is my nightmare.

I'm curious what everyone thinks Nylander's trade value might be at this very moment. The trade equivalent of a 2nd rounder maybe?

2nd round seems about right to me.  Some of the rumors to get Zucker are Nylander and our pick #32  That would equate to a late first and a second for Zucker.  Seems about right.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Good question.  I’m open for suggestions.  

In a dream world either TT or KO.  

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Your dream world is my nightmare.

I'm curious what everyone thinks Nylander's trade value might be at this very moment. The trade equivalent of a 2nd rounder maybe?

I'm pretty sure Freeman meant they'd be there because of their play, not because we have no other options. 

If Nylander is only worth a 2nd, there's no reason to trade him. His probability of being an NHL player at all certainly isn't lower than your average 2nd, and his ceiling is still higher. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, freester said:

That 3rd line sounds fine. Who is on the second line?

imo to be a truly competitive team it requires the addition of 2 good new players. I don't think it'll happen but we have to sign 2 decent FAs (and possibly trade for a 3rd) to be a playoff possibility. You can go different ways like a johanson as a playmaker or a Ferland as a more physical guy, maybe Donskoi all depends on the price. I'm more for bringing in guys who might become 2nd line guys then over paying top line guys. I'd like to see a tougher guy on a line with Skinner and Eichel and then a playmaker and a speedster paired with Sam. E-Rod is a utility guy for a 4th line only imo and we are stuck with Okposo and Sheary as subs/scrubs. It requires an overhaul.

On 6/17/2019 at 2:24 AM, PerreaultForever said:

E-Rod is a utility guy for a 4th line only imo and we are stuck with Okposo and Sheary as subs/scrubs. It requires an overhaul.

Evan Rodrigues has clearly demonstrated multiple times he is at a minimum a 3rd line player and has the potential to play on the 2nd line as a fill in for injuries. Housley's inability to properly use Erod last year was a direct reason I feel firing him had to happen. Erod is better than just some 4th line utility guy. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Evan Rodrigues has clearly demonstrated multiple times he is at a minimum a 3rd line player and has the potential to play on the 2nd line as a fill in for injuries. Housley's inability to properly use Erod last year was a direct reason I feel firing him had to happen. Erod is better than just some 4th line utility guy. 

I agree with 3rd line but not 2nd line on a good team.

• Like (+1) 4

I'm as big a Nylander critic as anyone, but he was objectively a top 12 Sabre forward last season, and quite a bit better in his small time on the roster than both Mitts and Tage. I don't particularly like his game, but a reasonable NHL coach can turn him into a positive. There was nothing in his 12 games that indicated floating or effort or attitude issues. He actively contributed to offensive creation, if not as much in volume as a serious offensive threat like the top line, and wasn't a defensive nuisance, if not Johan Larsson. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm as big a Nylander critic as anyone, but he was objectively a top 12 Sabre forward last season, and quite a bit better in his small time on the roster than both Mitts and Tage. I don't particularly like his game, but a reasonable NHL coach can turn him into a positive. There was nothing in his 12 games that indicated floating or effort or attitude issues. He actively contributed to offensive creation, if not as much in volume as a serious offensive threat like the top line, and wasn't a defensive nuisance, if not Johan Larsson. 

Tage spending all season in the NHL while Nylander played in Rochester continues to be one of the great mysteries from last season. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Tage spending all season in the NHL while Nylander played in Rochester continues to be one of the great mysteries from last season. 

Why? Tage had previously played half a season in the NHL

I'd rather have Nylander workout than Tage in the long run anyways

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Only two theories make sense:

the Sabres thought the adversity of a long stint in the minors would be best for Nylander’s development, while they thought Tage needed an NHL environment to get better

the Sabres actually thought Tage was a better NHL player than Alex.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Only if you aren’t paying attention. Jason literally said that Tage’s problems were best fixed playing in the NHL, whereas Nylander had yet to prove he could even produce in the AHL.

Tage had already proven he could PPG in the AHL. Tage’s problem was that his cute moves didn’t work against NHL defenders like they do in the AHL and he needed to experience that first hand or ride the bench.  He immediately produced in the AHL when eventually sent down—- proving he was not ‘ruined’, he just needs to find a way to make his game work without the cute moves  

Nylander was was a summer removed from being a healthy playoff scratch in the AHL.  A skill player with opportunity to play first line who can’t produce in the AHL doesn’t magically produce in the NHL  Only role players get away with that progression.  Or some college freshman, etc in the more physical leagues.  

10 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Only if you aren’t paying attention. Jason literally said that Tage’s problems were best fixed playing in the NHL, whereas Nylander had yet to prove he could even produce in the AHL.

Tage had already proven he could PPG in the AHL. Tage’s problem was that his cute moves didn’t work against NHL defenders like they do in the AHL and he needed to experience that first hand or ride the bench.  He immediately produced in the AHL when eventually sent down—- proving he was not ‘ruined’, he just needs to find a way to make his game work without the cute moves  

Nylander was was a summer removed from being a healthy playoff scratch in the AHL.  A skill player with opportunity to play first line who can’t produce in the AHL doesn’t magically produce in the NHL  Only role players get away with that progression.  Or some college freshman, etc in the more physical leagues.  

Prior to coming to Buffalo, Tage had 20 points in 46 AHL games. So no, he hadn't proven anything. 

I'm well aware of what Botterill said, I just think it's a bunch of hogwash. True or not, there's literally nothing else he can offer to explain Tage being in the NHL all year. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Prior to coming to Buffalo, Tage had 20 points in 46 AHL games. So no, he hadn't proven anything. 

I'm well aware of what Botterill said, I just think it's a bunch of hogwash. True or not, there's literally nothing else he can offer to explain Tage being in the NHL all year. 

He had two stints. Second stint was PPG

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Botteril is just making excuses for his own incompetence

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The reason I disagree with you is because he can't score. Doesn't finish. He had a brief run where he seemed to have gotten over the hump and was finally putting the puck in the net but it was brief. Most of the time he scoots around, gets shots, but it's all easy saves and we're skating the other way. 

He's fast, but he's not physical and not an offensive threat so yes, he can fill in for an injury almost anywhere short term, but he's not really a building block, just a safe utility guy. So you keep him on the roster, but if he's your 3rd line guy you're not very good, and if he's your 2nd line guy you're in deep trouble. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m tired of having @LGR4GM throw things out there with nothing to back them up.

If he wants me to accept ERod is better than Vesey, he’s going to have to prove it. Prove it Liger!

Offer ERod straight up for Vesey and we'll all watch the Rangers GM bent over laughing.

?

Edited by Radar

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.