Alex Nylander Watch 2.0

darksabre

Nylander in 2019-2020  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How far does Nylander go this year?

• Plateau season for the Amerks
    • Better season for the Amerks
    • Occasional call-up to the Sabres
    • Significant ice time for the Sabres
    • Other

nylander.thumb.PNG.baaf7211ba5239b3d9a95bed99e7c460.PNG

Most people said Alex would get an occasional call-up last season, and most people were WRONG.

The next most people said he would have significant ice time for the Sabres. They were also WRONG.

Let's see how people are feeling about Nylander's prospects this season.

Keep in mind that Nylander is 21 years old and has two years left on his ELC.

Depends on injuries but I think he has instant chemistry with Mittelstadt. Playing on the potential 3rd line would be a good introduction to the NHL for him. I could also see him bouncing around this year as he actually figures out the NHL game. 

Really Im an xray, ct tech... seen a lot, ever seen a hip replacement, an experienced a femural head sawed off and dropped in a bucket.  Or an small bowel resection with a patients guts spread out on an OR table.  I could go on... debreedment during a clavicle ORIF repair, shoulder looks like hamburger.

Edited by North Buffalo

I went with "other" because I wanted to take a guess that he'll get moved. 

If he doesn't get traded, he'll have another season in the AHL (with a call-up or two) where the only reason he still has backing is because of his relatively young age. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Nylander has played 165 games over 3 seasons in the AHL. He's about 4 months younger than Tage and about 9 months older than Mitts. The time is right for him to be a full-time Sabre. Give him a shot at 1st line RW with Eichel and Skinner just to see what happens. If nothing good, drop him down to a 3rd line with fellow underachieving 1st round picks, Tage and Mitts. Either way, it's time to see what he can do in the NHL.

21 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Nylander has played 165 games over 3 seasons in the AHL. He's about 4 months younger than Tage and about 9 months older than Mitts. The time is right for him to be a full-time Sabre. Give him a shot at 1st line RW with Eichel and Skinner just to see what happens. If nothing good, drop him down to a 3rd line with fellow underachieving 1st round picks, Tage and Mitts. Either way, it's time to see what he can do in the NHL.

Casey Mittelstadt is not an underachieving 1st round pick. If I eye roll that any harder I'll see my own brain. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/12/2019 at 7:29 AM, North Buffalo said:

Really Im an xray, ct tech... seen a lot, ever seen a hip replacement, an experienced a femural head sawed off and dropped in a bucket.  Or an small bowel resection with a patients guts spread out on an OR table.  I could go on... debreedment during a clavicle ORIF repair, shoulder looks like hamburger.

Bacta. 

On 6/12/2019 at 5:52 AM, darksabre said:

The next most people said he would have significant ice time for the Sabres. They were also WRONG.

I thought I could instruct Alex just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. I thought he was going to stick with the Sabres out of camp and be a huge Powerplay surprise. 

Now... now I’m turning Olofsson to the dark side instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Bacta=Hot Tub

I thought I could instruct Alex just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. I thought he was going to stick with the Sabres out of camp and be a huge Powerplay surprise. 

Now... now I’m turning Olofsson to the dark side instead. 

If we’re taking Dark horses...Ollie has a better chance in the N....(gez sayin)

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Toronto will be looking for creative ways to work around their cap issues. I wonder if we could entice them into some sort of multiple player/picks deal where they think they can find some sibling chemistry and they give us Kapanen or maybe Johnsson. A long shot, but you never know. 

I think Toronto would be interested in Risto.  Kadri and Kapanen for Risto.  I think I would do that trade.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:03 PM, Marchand'sNose said:

The time is right for him to be a full-time Sabre. Give him a shot at 1st line RW with Eichel and Skinner just to see what happens. 

[hikes up black socks while wearing shorts]: He's gotta earn his spot!

I really do believe that, though. He's got to establish himself as a Sabre with his play -- not with his potential and pedigree.

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is the season that he will get a real chance to show his stuff in Buffalo.  I say that he is on the opening night roster and playing, not scratched.

I agree.

I hope he gets more than 3-4 games though, I would think 8-10 would be a fair assessment. He needs to be in the top 9 to show what he can do, plus some PP time.

He better work his butt off and not rely on some "entitlement" due to his draft and pedigree.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I agree.

I hope he gets more than 3-4 games though, I would think 8-10 would be a fair assessment. He needs to be in the top 9 to show what he can do, plus some PP time.

He better work his butt off and not rely on some "entitlement" due to his draft and pedigree.

I think that he will play most, if not all, of the season in Buffalo.  Unless, of course, something really changes with the roster in the mean time.

I find it pretty remarkable that almost half of poll respondents think Nylander is going to get significant ice time for the Sabres this year, after 3 years of mediocre production in the AHL and nothing more than a couple of uneventful cups of coffee at the NHL level.

For anyone who voted this way -- I'd be interested to hear/read your reasoning.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I find it pretty remarkable that almost half of poll respondents think Nylander is going to get significant ice time for the Sabres this year, after 3 years of mediocre production in the AHL and nothing more than a couple of uneventful cups of coffee at the NHL level.

I think he would have been up and useful at the end of last year except he was injured. The year before he showed some good chemistry with Mitts and I could see them exploring that especially since they could use a RW for that line. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I find it remarkable as well. In fact I would venture that I am gobsmacked that so many people think Nylander is going to stick at some point this year.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.