2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So Botterill has made repeated references to wanting scoring on all four lines.

Should we be taking that more seriously? What if Ralph comes out with something unexpected like putting one of the big three on each line?

Vesey Eichel Sheary

Skinner Johansson Okposo

Olofsson Mittelstadt Reinhart

Girgensons Larsson Rodrigues

If he does that, we'll probably end up with zero scoring lines. You can only dilute the talent so much before everything suffers.

Using Dudacek's mock lineup, we'd probably end up with fans rioting because:

Eichel - $10 million cap hit for 50 points with those bums

Skinner - $9 million cap hit for 20 goals and 30 points and that's only if Johansson is better than advertised

I could go on, but you get the idea. On the bright side it should make Reinhart somewhat easier to re-sign, although that 3rd line might actually have more overall talent than all the rest of the lines.

No line with both Girgensons and Larsson could ever be considered a scoring line. I don't care if the 3rd guy is Gretzky or Lemieux. I like Rodriguez but he's certainly not good enough to make a scoring line from that trio.

48 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Should we be taking that more seriously? What if Ralph comes out with something unexpected like putting one of the big three on each line?

Vesey Eichel Sheary

Skinner Johansson Okposo

If the Big 3 are split up; I'd expect almost no possibility that Okposo is anywhere other than 4th line.  The 4th line with Rodrigues on it wasn't as effective at either end of the rink as it was with Kyle as the RW.

I'd expect in a "4 lines that can (kind of, almost) score (with no other outsiders help brought in); we'd see

Olofsson - Eichel - Vesey

Skinner - Johansson - Rodrigues

Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Girgensons -  Larsson - Okposo

And I still would expect that, in that scenario that there are no other top 6 forwards brought in, they'd be better off in trying to balance the scoring by giving the 2 C (either E-Rod or MaJo) both Skinner and Reinhart with Mitts getting Sheary or MaJo and either Thompson or E-Rod.  REALLY expect Mitts' effectiveness will be more of a function of opponents than line mates.  (Though obviously would like him to have the best he could get after lines 1,2, & 4 are assembled.)

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Vesey Eichel Sheary

Skinner Johansson Okposo

Not really picking on you, but the line-up: If we ice this I’d assume it’s a stealth tank for this, (surprise, yet again) “exceptionally strong” upcoming 2020 draft class. 

We had one scoring line last year and we want 4 now? That’s lofty. Strategy must be to bring in some new top 6 quality guys. No, just try and dilute that one line over the space of 3? Bold strategy, Botts. 

I know Botterill wants Eichel to be Crosby, but that aside, you’d need him to be better then Crosby if you are lining up a net negative Vesey anchor on his left. 

The third and 4th lines look to be perfectly adequate, but it’s at the cost of an assuredly bottom of the league top 6.

It would be the epitome of “deck chairs”. From an above average top line and weak bottom 9 last year, to a below average top line, and an average/above average bottom 6. 

I wouldn’t be altogether shocked however, as he IS the guy who last offseason would forego top line talent (ROR) in an effort to improve bottom 6 depth. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think "scoring on all four lines" means spreading the talent around. I think Botterill just wants his lines to contribute at the level they should be. 

One big trade or two solid ones for the right players could make this happen more or less. 

We gotta get these damn RFA holdups over with

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think "scoring on all four lines" means spreading the talent around. I think Botterill just wants his lines to contribute at the level they should be. 

If I remember correctly, he said that he wants all 4 lines to contribute, not wants all 4 lines to score.  Contribute means different things to different lines.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

If I remember correctly, he said that he wants all 4 lines to contribute, not wants all 4 lines to score.  Contribute means different things to different lines.

So it’s a meaningless quote then haha. I can’t remember hearing a GM ever say he’s looking for a contribution from 75% of his lines. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So it’s a meaningless quote then haha. I can’t remember hearing a GM ever say he’s looking for a contribution from 75% of his lines. 

Aren't 95%+ of ALL off-season quotes meaningless?  Yet, we still discuss them endlessly because there's nothing else to talk about.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It's not meaningless, it's just the truth. The team needs each line to do its job. I think we can agree that it's been a long time since this team had the total package.

My statistically untrained eye says that his possession numbers are probably pretty good. He just doesn’t generate many dangerous offensive chances (unless on the PP). I think that is something that a good coach could change with the right line mates.

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

I still struggle with people using anchor as a negative. 

I’m the complete opposite. If someone is an anchor they’re weighing you down. Or at least that’s how I’ve always thought of it. 

The other one I don’t like is goat being a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

I still struggle with people using anchor as a negative. 

Maybe this will help....

I went fishing with some friends along the lower Niagara river years ago. We were drifting the river over and over down to the mouth of Lake Ontario. Near the end of the day we decided to anchor near the lake and just enjoy the day a bit. When we decided to leave for home the anchor would not come up. We tried everything and ended up having to cut the anchor. While at one point the anchor did it's job, at another point it became a real problem and was holding us back from doing what we needed to do.

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’m the complete opposite. If someone is an anchor they’re weighing you down. Or at least that’s how I’ve always thought of it. 

The other one I don’t like is goat being a good thing. 

But at least goat stands for something positive. 

Greatest 

Of

All 

Time

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Maybe this will help....

I went fishing with some friends along the lower Niagara river years ago. We were drifting the river over and over down to the mouth of Lake Ontario. Near the end of the day we decided to anchor near the lake and just enjoy the day a bit. When we decided to leave for home the anchor would not come up. We tried everything and ended up having to cut the anchor. While at one point the anchor did it's job, at another point it became a real problem and was holding us back from doing what we needed to do.

Then everyone should call it a boat anchor

Only 1 more year of crap hopefully. They still need a goalie, two more top six forwards (which includes a center), and some luck with one of TB, Boston, or Toronto. The Center will be filled next year (Cousins) as some cap money is recouped.......then, the first legit run to the playoffs should be in place. I just don't want this season to be over by December....again.

^ I really don’t think this team can afford the “one more year” mentality. 

If the focus is on 20-21, they’d be penciling Mittelstadt into the 2C role for that season I’d assume, not a rookie Cozens.  

Edited by Thorny

Trade built around Risto and Kase
McCabe for Toffoli
Sign Gardiner
Sheary, Scandella gone for whatever just to make room
Pretend Vesey does't exist just cuz there's no room

Olofsson - Eichel - Kase
Skinner - Mitts - Reinhart
Johansson - Rodrigues - Toffoli
Zemgus - Larry - Kyle

Dahlin - Montour
Gardiner - Miller
Pilut - Bogosian/Jokiharju
Nelson

The center spine is still weaker than you'd want, but the wings are deep as hell. I'd try to trade just picks for Toffoli and keep McCabe 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.