2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Where else would he possibly play? He was the lead the league in TOI as the top center in Finland, he came over here expecting to play

And Antipin was the best KHL D- man when the Sabres took a flyer on him.  That didn't exactly work out.

Olofsson was studly in Sweden his last season & spent months in Ra-cha-cha.  THEN finally got a shot (and worked out great in his brief stint).

Wouldn't be pencilling him in just yet.

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

I believe the situation is that if he does not make the NHL, he is still contractually obligated to play for his Liiga team.  However, he can request from his Liiga team that he be allowed to play in the AHL.  It has been suggested that if he were to ask, they would probably allow it.  Liiga teams do not want be seen as an organization that holds players back from chasing the NHL.  It is bad publicity that would have a negative affect on future signings, plus Fins want to see other Fins succeed at the highest level.

I think we'll find out relatively soon whether or not he would make that request of the Finnish team.  I don't expect him to make the roster out of training camp.  And hopefully he does make that request because he could be a great example of one of those mid-season callups who really helps the team after getting that AHL time under his belt.

• Like (+1) 1

NHL.com projected lineup from July 8th https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-forward-casey-mittelstadt-pleased-with-roster-additions/c-308239878

Forwards

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Vesey Mittelstadt Johansson

Sheary Rodrigues Okposo

Girgensons Larsson Sobotka  ex: Wilson

My Comment:  If this is the opening night roster Jbot has failed.  Plain and simple.  First, Olofsson is making this team.  Second, Okposo is the 4th line RW and Sobotka better be on the bench.  I also fully expect a couple of Sheary Erod, Wilson and/or Larsson to move this summer to make room for a 2C and maybe CJ Smith. 

Defense

Dahlin Risto

McCabe Montour

Scandella Miller

ex Bogosian

My Comment:  I'm firmly in the Risto will be traded camp despite my posts that there are many reasons to keep him.  Looking at the forwards, Mitts is not ready to be the guy at 2C.  He needs more support and Erod (who I really like) and Larsson don't give the kind of support.  We all know this,  Sabrespace knows this, Jbot knows this and the other NHL GMs know this.   However, all Jbot needs is 2 or 3 competing offers for Risto to get what he needs for this roster.

Do agree that we shouldn't trade Risto unless the deal is really really good.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

NHL.com projected lineup from July 8th https://www.nhl.com/news/sabres-forward-casey-mittelstadt-pleased-with-roster-additions/c-308239878

Forwards

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Vesey Mittelstadt Johansson

Sheary Rodrigues Okposo

Girgensons Larsson Sobotka  ex: Wilson

My Comment:  If this is the opening night roster Jbot has failed.  Plain and simple.  First, Olofsson is making this team.  Second, Okposo is the 4th line RW and Sobotka better be on the bench.  I also fully expect a couple of Sheary Erod, Wilson and/or Larsson to move this summer to make room for a 2C and maybe CJ Smith. 

Defense

Dahlin Risto

McCabe Montour

Scandella Miller

ex Bogosian

My Comment:  I'm firmly in the Risto will be traded camp despite my posts that there are many reasons to keep him.  Looking at the forwards, Mitts is not ready to be the guy at 2C.  He needs more support and Erod (who I really like) and Larsson don't give the kind of support.  We all know this,  Sabrespace knows this, Jbot knows this and the other NHL GMs know this.   However, all Jbot needs is 2 or 3 competing offers for Risto to get what he needs for this roster.

Do agree that we shouldn't trade Risto unless the deal is really really good.

Oh I don't think most agree with you, and JBotts needs to get what he needs before pulling the trigger and that may mean opening day will be...

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Mittelstadt Johansson Reinhart

Sheary Rodrigues Vesey

Girgensons Larsson Okposo  ex: Sootka and Wilson

Not ideal, but with improved D it is workable till it happens.  It also may mean Sabres will be better but not make the playoffs this year.  With a little luck they might get a high lottery pick and problem solved either way.  Hate waiting but what other choice is there.

Edited by North Buffalo

8 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Oh I don't think most agree with you, and JBotts needs to get what he needs before pulling the trigger and that may mean opening day will be...

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

Mittelstadt Johansson Reinhart

Sheary Rodrigues Vesey

Girgensons Larsson Okposo  ex: Sootka and Wilson

Not ideal, but with improved D it is workable till it happens.  It also may mean Sabres will be better but not make the playoffs this year.  With a little luck they might get a high lottery pick and problem solved either way.  Hate waiting but what other choice is there.

?

Edited by WildCard

5 hours ago, Weave said:

What was the take away?

I listened to the podcast

Vogl's Lineup (for now)

Skinner Eichel Lazar/Sheary - Said Lazar has never had a chance to play with good players and he wants to see what he can do. 

Olofsson Mitts Reinhart - said Olofsson will be 24 and this his opportunity to prove he is an real NHLer

Johansson ERod Thompson/Sheary - Thinks Thompson has much to prove and thinks he could be ready

Vesey Sobotka Okposo - had no where else to put Vesey

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Risto

Scandella Miller - Scandella here until Bogo ready

ex Jokiharju

Duff's lineup

Skinner Eichel Vesey - Thinks Jack's buddy could fit here

Olofsson ????? Reihhart - Thinks Risto gets moved (but doesn't necessary want him to) to get the 2C

Johansson Mitts Sheary/Thompson

Smith Routsalainen Okposo - Put together a lineup with an eye toward the kids

D similar to Vogl, except pencilling in Risto until traded.

Vogl said Dzingel wasn't on Jbot's radar.  Mentioned Ana as a possible landing spot for Risto.

I looked at Ana's roster and they do need a good RHD, which is fascinating considering how many D they had just a few years ago and then a couple of mediocre trades and a terrible contract for Fowler and the now need a D.  

Duffer thought any deal involving Risto would include some of the excess depth forwards, like Girgensons.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Having some fun:
~McCabe to LA for ~Toffoli (~ means you can add or subtract small things as needed because I don't really understand the trade value of most players)
Ristolainen, Laaksonen, 2nd to Winnipeg for Copp, Ehlers
sign Gardiner
Fix cap problems as needed (surely someone will take Scandella somewhere somehow please)

Skinner - Eichel - Toffoli
Ehlers - Copp - Reinhart
Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Johansson
Girgensons - Larsson - Rodrigues
Okposo

Dahlin - Montour
Gardiner - Miller
Pilut/Scandella - Bogosian/Jokiharju
Nelson

Whoops, forgot Vesey. I wouldn't take anyone out of that lineup for him though. Sheary and Vesey shipped off for picks and cap space heheh

Edited by Randall Flagg

I was one of those posters extraordinarily high in Lazar in his draft year and even I doubt he will be in Buffalo.

I will say that he could surprise in a Girgensons or Wilson role in the NHL because he’s got a hockey player’s body and is generally smart and disciplined, and that he is such a positive guy Krueger may keep him for that alone.

First line is ridiculous. From what I’ve seen of him in the NHL he makes Larsson’s hands look good.

On 7/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, WildCard said:

Where else would he possibly play? He was the lead the league in TOI as the top center in Finland, he came over here expecting to play

He was like the twentieth rated unsigned free agent not playing in the NHL. He is a long shot to ever make the Sabre’s. It will be a great story and a nice coup if he makes it but the odds are heavily against it.

46 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d be interested in a few forwards from Anaheim: Rakell, Silverberg, even Getzlaf if it’s fair. 

Not at all interested in Gardiner, he’s Risto with no physicality and a bit better zone exit ability. 

I am going to respectfully disagree with your comparison. 

04C465E1-9560-4A6C-91B8-7042FE48E0DD.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I am going to respectfully disagree with your comparison. 

04C465E1-9560-4A6C-91B8-7042FE48E0DD.jpeg

He strikes me as Risto's opposite in terms of analytics. Risto's are below what he appears to be while Gardiner's are way to high. I've watched him plenty of times, and this graph goes completely against my own eyes which means something isn't right. 

Edited by thewookie1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

He strikes me as Risto's opposite in terms of analytics. Risto's are below what he appears to be while Gardiner's are way to high. I've watched him plenty of times, and this graph goes completely against my own eyes which means something isn't right. 

Yeah, pretty much everyone who does hockey analytics as either a job or a hobby has the same opinion that Risto’s Analytics match his eye test and neither are good. 

Risto makes every other defenseman on the team worse when paired with him with the exception of Pilut. 

Adding Gardiner, on the right contract, as a LHD Second Pairing gives the Sabres a legitimate playoff caliber D Corp. 

The best hope is that Botterill can find a GM who has similar feelings about 55 as you do and improve the team by acquiring a Top 6 Forward. 

To many trades are coming but for fun with the current roster

Skinner-Jack-Vesey.......... Jack's buddy starts the season with him until he proves otherwise

Johansson-Casey-Reinhart......... Casey gets 2 vets who can play center to break him in and Johansson can help carry the puck in 

Olofsson/Sheary--ERod--Sheary/Thompson........... Could be pretty good, could be pretty bad

Girgs-Larsson-Okposo........... Somebody has to play the PK and although none of them is a scoring threat they'll hustle and play D

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-Risto

Pilut/Scandella/Bogosian--Miller

Lineup - projected based upon who is actually under contract and on a one way contract.

Skinner Eichel Vesey

Johansson Mitts Reinhart

Wilson  Sobotka Sheary

Girgensons Larsson Okposo  ex: Lazar

Dahlin Montour

Scandella Ristolainen

Gilmour Miller

Ex: Hunwick Nelson, 

Bogosian (Ir)

Hutton Hammond

(Prospects: Olofsson, Thompson, Pilut-IR, Jokiharju,)

(RFAs: McCabe, ERod, Ullmark)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I agree that Gardiner is not as good as the #objectiveevidence (?) suggests.   If he was, the nerd running the Leafs would have prioritized his resigning.  But he didn’t.  Dubas loves analytics and knows more about them than those at evolving, or us.  Also note if their #secretsauce were anything of substance, they too would be working for Dubas.  The fact is evolving and other statisticians update the coefficients on the categories used for expected goals and WAR year over year looking to refine their proofs.  While I have learned so much this last year from those who post here as it relates to the underlying metrics (for which I’m grateful) I reject the singular argument which says look at this chart which weights shot type over shot distance or shot angle over rebounds as #objectiveevidence.   It was so refreshing to see Flagg reference going to watch video to make a decision on a player.   A GM like validation.  Bravo.  

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Adding Gardiner, on the right contract, as a LHD Second Pairing gives the Sabres a legitimate playoff caliber D Corp. 

Gardiner has a bad back and is a defensive liability. Totally over valued and as we have seen, many GMs agree. Two years ago the Bruins shredded him in the post season and he's never fully gotten over that. I would not touch him under any circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.