2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is so weird.  I was posting something similar and then stopped once I was this post.  I was focused a little more on the most common roster from last year vs the projected roster for this season.  

Bogo is being replaced by Miller for now, but I can see Miller in for Risto if he is traded.

Baloo is replaced by Montour.

Yes, certainly that counts. Added to the original post.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yes, certainly that counts. Added to the original post.

Who is Dea replacing in Roch?

I’d go with Vesey in for Pommers as Nylander was never a full time NHL player.

and Johansson in for Beglund.

Olofsson could also steal Erod’s top 9 gig and Erod could push Larsson off the roster.

Hopefully Sobotka inherits Elie’s 13th forward role.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Assumptions:

- Risto is traded for Ehlers

- Scandy is unloaded for a draft pick

- Sabres get lucky with Ruotsalainen

- Larsson is not brought back and Asplund steps up to grab his spot

That gives us:

Skinner-Eichel-Ehlers

Vesey-JoJo-Reino

Olofsson-Ruotsy-Erod

Zemgus-Asplund-KO

extra:  Sheary, Wilson

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-MIller

Pilut-Joker

extra:  Bogo, Nelson

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Assumptions:

- Risto is traded for Ehlers

- Scandy is unloaded for a draft pick

- Sabres get lucky with Ruotsalainen

- Larsson is not brought back and Asplund steps up to grab his spot

That gives us:

Skinner-Eichel-Ehlers

Vesey-JoJo-Reino

Olofsson-Ruotsy-Erod

Zemgus-Asplund-KO

extra:  Sheary, Wilson

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-MIller

Pilut-Joker

So Mittelstadt is leading the charge in Ra-cha-cha?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So Mittelstadt is leading the charge in Ra-cha-cha?

D'oh!

As corrected:

Skinner-Eichel-Ehlers

Vesey-JoJo-Reino

Olofsson-Ruotsy-Mitts

ERod-Asplund-KO

extra:  Sheary, Zemgus

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-MIller

Pilut-Joker

On 7/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, dudacek said:

I thought Ruotalainen was headed back to Finland if he doesn’t make the big club, which would surprise me if he does.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:18 PM, Taro T said:

Very possibly correct.  Thought somebody was saying he could stay with the Amerks if he wanted, but could definitely be misremembering.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:35 PM, Curt said:

I believe the situation is that if he does not make the NHL, he is still contractually obligated to play for his Liiga team.  However, he can request from his Liiga team that he be allowed to play in the AHL.  It has been suggested that if he were to ask, they would probably allow it.  Liiga teams do not want be seen as an organization that holds players back from chasing the NHL.  It is bad publicity that would have a negative affect on future signings, plus Fins want to see other Fins succeed at the highest level.

This is spot on, interestingly Randy Sexton was on The Sports Bar in Rochester a few weeks ago and made it sound like Rochester is not an option for him. Unless The Organization has not asked permission of Liiga yet so Sexton does not want to discuss that in public 

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

I disagree.  I feel pretty confident that Pilut is a no doubt NHL defenseman.

Yep, Pilut was the only defenseman who improved Risto last year. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Judging by this article, is Rutosalainen going to be our 2C? If not, he sounds like our 3C, which makes Mitts our 2C

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-arttu-ruotsalainen-introduction-highlights/c-307279660

That article is from May 8th.  Much has changed since then. 

That could be how it works out, but don’t count on it. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Judging by this article, is Rutosalainen going to be our 2C? If not, he sounds like our 3C, which makes Mitts our 2C

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-arttu-ruotsalainen-introduction-highlights/c-307279660

Have I been underestimating this guy?

I’ve been looking at him as a long shot with a shot: ERod, Smith, Nelson, Antipov, Oglivie, the Sabres sign one every year.

42 points in 59 games in the Finnish elite league as a 21-year-old sounds pretty good, but give me context. Is that more impressive than Rasmus Asplund putting up similar numbers at the same age in 70-odd games in the AHL? Or Casey Mittelstadt scoring 30 at an even younger age in the NHL?

Why the heck are people considering this guy as NHL material at all this year, let alone our answer at the second line centre?

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That article is from May 8th.  Much has changed since then. 

That could be how it works out, but don’t count on it. 

What's changed since then for us? Do we have a 2C yet? If anything we've gotten even more wingers, forcing him to the inside 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve been looking at him as a long shot with a shot: ERod, Smith, Nelson, Antipov, Oglivie, the Sabres sign one every year.

42 points in 59 games in the Finnish elite league as a 21-year-old sounds pretty good, but give me context. Is that more impressive than Rasmus Asplund putting up similar numbers at the same age in 70-odd games in the AHL? Or Casey Mittelstadt scoring 30 at an even younger age in the NHL?

Why the heck are people considering this guy as NHL material at all this year, let alone our answer at the second line centre?

I don’t think he is the answer at #2C.  He has a wide range of potential outcomes.  His production in Liiga should be regarded pretty closely to similar production in the AHL.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I can't see him being the answer at 2C. Nothing in that linked article would suggest that, as far as I can tell. And I don't think the Sabres have said anything that would indicate that. 

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

We overvalue our own.  It's universal across all fanbases.  Just look at the difference between what Chicago fans thought they could get for Jokiharju and what they actually got.  The kid may very well have an NHL future, but it will be a near miracle if he steps up in a big way this year.

My main concern with him is the NHL or bust status he's got.  If you're going to commit to the NHL team, commit yourself fully to their system (granted there may be contractual obligations).  That type of setup really makes me wonder whether or not the guy truly wants to be here.

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I wouldn't for a minute expect Ruotsy to seize the 3C position this year -- but it sure would be nice if the Sabres struck gold on one of these mining expeditions across the pond, and this one in particular would be a major boost.

Where else would he possibly play? He was the lead the league in TOI as the top center in Finland, he came over here expecting to play

1 hour ago, shrader said:

My main concern with him is the NHL or bust status he's got.  If you're going to commit to the NHL team, commit yourself fully to their system (granted there may be contractual obligations).  That type of setup really makes me wonder whether or not the guy truly wants to be here.

I believe the situation is that if he does not make the NHL, he is still contractually obligated to play for his Liiga team.  However, he can request from his Liiga team that he be allowed to play in the AHL.  It has been suggested that if he were to ask, they would probably allow it.  Liiga teams do not want be seen as an organization that holds players back from chasing the NHL.  It is bad publicity that would have a negative affect on future signings, plus Fins want to see other Fins succeed at the highest level.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.