2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

To me it seems clear that the biggest weakness in the lineup is a quality middle-6 C.  I’m not hearing much for rumors about any being available in trade.  In UFA the only one that looks interesting is Johansson.  Does anyone else have any ideas about where a good middle-6 C could come from?

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

To me it seems clear that the biggest weakness in the lineup is a quality middle-6 C.  I’m not hearing much for rumors about any being available in trade.  In UFA the only one that looks interesting is Johansson.  Does anyone else have any ideas about where a good middle-6 C could come from?

Johansson really isn't a center, though. He can play it in a "break glass in case of emergency" sense, but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Looks pretty tough at this point 

I'm almost to the point of just putting the best hockey players from a skill standpoint out there and seeing what happens. 

OLofsson Eichel Nylander

Skinner  Mitts Reinhart 

Vesey Erod Cozens

Sheery Aspund Okposo 

Dahlin   Montour 

Pilut    Risto

McCabe Miller 

May not be a playoff team but at least they can see what they have with a few of the young guys and it can't be much worse than what we have seen over the last 7 years 

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I'm almost to the point of just putting the best hockey players from a skill standpoint out there and seeing what happens. 

OLofsson Eichel Nylander

Skinner  Mitts Reinhart 

Vesey Erod Cozens

Sheery Aspund Okposo 

Dahlin   Montour 

Pilut    Risto

McCabe Miller 

May not be a playoff team but at least they can see what they have with a few of the young guys and it can't be much worse than what we have seen over the last 7 years 

Well that's about as exciting as death. 

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Pass on this lineup. 2c has to be addressed. I added question marks where I think it is up in the air.

Skinner - Eichel - ?

Olofsson - ? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Okposo

Sheary - Erod - Larsson/Zemgus (Pominville preferably) 

McCabe - Montour

Dahlin - Miller

Pilut - Nelson/Bogo

Risto gets traded to fix that center spot. That #1 RW spot can go to whoever earns in camp. Maybe Olofsson bumps up there and we shift the rest of the left wings up 1 and slot stone hands zemgus back on Erod's left. Until Thompson and Nylander actually show they aren't 3rd line guys who are interchangeable, I'm not penciling them in anywhere. 

Realizing you're just winging it and there are at least 2 players that will be in the lineup that aren't currently Sabres.  But even with that said.  Sheary can't play on a checking line.  Larsson is useless at any slot other than 4C (which he's actually good at).  And really doubt Okposo slots any higher than 4RW & 2PP.  And for the love of all that's good and holy PLEASE no Pominville sightings.

Like that you're starting with McCabe - Montour & Dahlin - Miller.  Until Dahlin is ready to join Montour on top pairing, that's where I'd expect them to slot.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Realizing you're just winging it and there are at least 2 players that will be in the lineup that aren't currently Sabres.  But even with that said.  Sheary can't play on a checking line.  Larsson is useless at any slot other than 4C (which he's actually good at).  And really doubt Okposo slots any higher than 4RW & 2PP.  And for the love of all that's good and holy PLEASE no Pominville sightings.

Like that you're starting with McCabe - Montour & Dahlin - Miller.  Until Dahlin is ready to join Montour on top pairing, that's where I'd expect them to slot.

Agreed with this. Tweaking Liger's attempt (which I did like) I have

Skinner - Eichel - Sheary

Olofsson - ? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Erod

Zemgus- Larsson- Okposo 

Dahlin - Montour

Pilut - Miller

? - Nelson/Bogo

McCabe and Risto moved out

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Agreed with this. Tweaking Liger's attempt (which I did like) I have

Skinner - Eichel - Sheary

Olofsson - ? - Reinhart

Vesey - Mitts - Erod

Zemgus- Larsson- Okposo 

Dahlin - Montour

Pilut - Miller

? - Nelson/Bogo

McCabe and Risto moved out

IF Sheary can do playing with Eichel what he did playing with Crosby, that's not bad.  Really expecting Vesey to get a look in that role, which would mean unless Botterill lucks into a RW version of the Skinner trade that the mess at RW won't get addressed.

Are you shipping Ristolainen & McCabe both for the 2C or are you bringing in another piece?

Just now, Taro T said:

IF Sheary can do playing with Eichel what he did playing with Crosby, that's not bad.  Really expecting Vesey to get a look in that role, which would mean unless Botterill lucks into a RW version of the Skinner trade that the mess at RW won't get addressed.

Are you shipping Ristolainen & McCabe both for the 2C or are you bringing in another piece?

Not really sure, I doubt a team wants both. I would imagine Risto and Nylander/pick+prospect go for the 2C, and McCabe for depth/picks, especially if that Gardiner rumor is true

Regardless I really want Pilut on that 2nd pair

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Not really sure, I doubt a team wants both. I would imagine Risto and Nylander/pick+prospect go for the 2C, and McCabe for depth/picks, especially if that Gardiner rumor is true

Regardless I really want Pilut on that 2nd pair

McCabe better be bringing back better than depth (that can't crack the top 12) &/or picks.  He's the only true defensive defenseman this team has.

And I've concerns over Pilut's durability.  Love him as the 3rd LD, not as pleased should he wind up the 2LD.

Sheary got a look on the top line last year, did he not?  I believe that Olofsson is Jack's choice, and what Jack wants, Jack gets.  In this instance, I agree.

I would do:

Reinhart, 2C, Vessey

Sheary, Mitts, Erod

Zemgus, Larsson, Okposo 

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

McCabe better be bringing back better than depth (that can't crack the top 12) &/or picks.  He's the only true defensive defenseman this team has.

And I've concerns over Pilut's durability.  Love him as the 3rd LD, not as pleased should he wind up the 2LD.

I have similar concerns with McCabe's durability. Consecutive seasons under 60 games played, and his style of play may lend itself to wear and tear. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Erod/Larsson - I don't care. Not even a little. 

In this instance, Larsson is ideal for the role and it's worth caring that he's slotted into his ideal role.  I think this call is easy to make and helps, a little, to piece together the 2 & 3 lines.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't like it but this seems like the possible disposition of the lines at this moment in time. 

Skinner - Eichel - ? /Vesey(Sheary isn't good enough, of course idk if vesey is)

Olofsson - Ruustolainen - Rienhart (This line most people will disagree with and I understand why but Ruusto gets a shot)

Vesey/Sheary/ Mitts - Mitts/Erod - Okposo/Erod (Erod deserves better than the 4th line)

Sheary/Larsson/Zemgus/a frog wearing a waffle cone for a hat - Erod/Larsson - I don't care. Not even a little. 

Time for Nylander to sink or swim.  Throw him out with Eichel for the first 20 games and see what happens.  We assume he will fail but only 1 way to find out for sure.  

Im not sure Risto lands you a 2C at this point.  We would have to either take on another bad contract or throw in some draft picks.   

My 2020 1st rounder is untouchable. Unless you lottery protect it. 

If Cozens shows up better than any other option at RW3. Do you at least give him 9 games? I think he is ready to contribute as a winger already.  If you see him as a Center, he needs to go back to junior 

Vesey is fast goes to the net and scores reasonably well at even strength. The team needs that.

Miller skates, moves the puck and adds punch to the attack from the back line. The team needs that.

Vesey isn’t as bad as his thread makes him out to be and Miller isn’t as good. They are flawed, but also legitimate NHL players added to a team that needs more of those at reasonable prices. It’s good to see the critical mass approach they used in Rochester working its way up to Buffalo.

There is still a gaping hole at 2C that needs to be filled. Hope it’s by someone better than Kyle Turris. Baby steps are better than none.

Risto will not start the season in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Vesey is fast goes to the net and scores reasonably well at even strength. The team needs that.

Miller skates, moves the puck and adds punch to the attack from the back line. The team needs that.

Vesey isn’t as bad as his thread makes him out to be and Miller isn’t as good. They are flawed, but also legitimate NHL players added to a team that needs more of those at reasonable prices. It’s good to see the critical mass approach they used in Rochester working its way up to Buffalo.

There is still a gaping hole at 2C that needs to be filled. Hope it’s by someone better than Kyle Turris. Baby steps are better than none.

Risto will not start the season in Buffalo

We can trade Sobotka for Stastny. Vegas will have - 3 million cap space, and we 2C

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

OLofsson Eichel Nylander

Skinner  Mitts Reinhart 

Vesey Erod Cozens

Sheery Aspund Okposo 

Dahlin   Montour 

Pilut    Risto

McCabe Miller 

This is close to a last place line up, at least in our division only Ottawa will be worse. 

A fist line with Nylander and Olofsson is not a first line.   This cannot happen  Skinner needs to be with Eichel and they need a RW with grit and skill.  

Mitts as a 2C - we saw enough of that last year - Bots needs to bring in a real 2C that can play a 200 ft game  

Cozens should not make this team yet, leave him in Juniors.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

This is close to a last place line up, at least in our division only Ottawa will be worse. 

A fist line with Nylander and Olofsson is not a first line.   This cannot happen  Skinner needs to be with Eichel and they need a RW with grit and skill.  

Mitts as a 2C - we saw enough of that last year - Bots needs to bring in a real 2C that can play a 200 ft game  

Cozens should not make this team yet, leave him in Juniors.  

Of course brining in a 2C and a top line RW would be great. The problem is who and at what cost? 

If cozens comes into camp as your 3rd best RW, then he should make the team.  If Thompson is the 3rd best or Nylander, they need to be here. 

if the team above is a last place team   What’s it when you add back Larsson, Sbotka and Girgensons? 

What if Cozens blows in like the polar vortex and seizes the #1 RW slot with Eichel and Skinner?

And JB has parlayed Risto into Cerelli or Point or some other high-ceiling #2 center?

Skinner-Eichel-Cozens

Vesey-exciting new #2C-Reino

Olofsson-Mittsy-Erod

Sheary-Larsson-Zemgus

Montour-Dahlin

McCabe-Miller

Scandy-Nelson

I'd be pretty excited for opening night.

It’s the height of summer and I see a world where even @Randall Flagg is buying into the Victor Olofsson might score 30 fantasy.

If he can do it with Jack on line 1 then Jeff, Sam and the centre we get for Risto would be a potent 2nd line. Hell, even a Kyle Turris would do OK with those two.

The best of Vesey, Sheary, Okposo, Thompson, Erod, Smith and Nylander battle gets the other spot with Jack, one fights with Lazar and Wilson for a spot with Larry and Girgs on the checking line and two others flank Casey on a 3rd scoring line.

That’s 17 forwards conceivably in the mix without a Sobotka in sight. That’s alongside the 9 D on NHL contracts and Pilut and Borgen pushing to join them.

We are finally starting to see some depth.

We just need that centre and at least one kid to make a real jump.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Of course brining in a 2C and a top line RW would be great. The problem is who and at what cost? 

If cozens comes into camp as your 3rd best RW, then he should make the team.  If Thompson is the 3rd best or Nylander, they need to be here. 

if the team above is a last place team   What’s it when you add back Larsson, Sbotka and Girgensons? 

My fear for Cozens is the same as for Grigerinko.  Playing him too soon is bad for his development so don’t  force him to soon.  

I just don’t see Mitts as a 2C, his game is not there, we need to replace ROR somehow  - trades are possible   

No problem if Tage/Nylander/ Olofsson are ready to emerge, in fact we need it.     

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.