2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With the addition of Miller the defense has added more O talent and skating, but has it added an improvement on D?

Pilut and Bogo's status is unknown and will be for months.  They are possibly out until early next season.

That leaves the healthy D group right now as follows

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Miller

Hunwick Nelson

Bogo - IR

This trade is almost a sure indication that Pilut and Borgen are Rochester bound for now.  It also doesn't necessary means that Risto is gone as the above depth chart shows, but why acquire two puck moving RD (Montour and Miller) if you don't move on from Risto?  The biggest issue with moving Risto is who picks up the physical game with Bogo injured, Borgen in the minors and Risto gone?  Also when is Jbot getting us a true defensive defenseman?

Pilot is on IR. He is also a lock for the NHL, worst case just after a short recovery stint because he has that option. 

The Miller acquisition does not necessitate a trade, but once Pilut and Bogo heal up, it does. Remember, Krueger and Botterill were very worried in interviews weeks ago about starting the season with, in their words, ‘two of their six defenders on IR’. This trade helps with that on its own. 

What it does do is give Botterill a lot of flexibility:  If he wants to trade Risto on July 1st, he can do so without having to scramble for scraps to replace him while we wait on the other prospects like Borgen to make their way up. If he doesn’t find the Risto trade he wants, he keeps him. There won’t be a need to trade away the excess defender until November timeframe and they can choose between many options that can all be easily moved for low draft picks if needed. By then camp is over the season has started and it will be easier to make the decision on who to trade or cut.  No defenseman on the roster has an albatross multi year contract that can’t be moved or easily buried. 

Beyond just the analytics and the player Miller himself, one of the best parts about the trade is the flexibility it gives Botterill going into both next week, but the start of the season as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With the addition of Miller the defense has added more O talent and skating, but has it added an improvement on D?

Pilut and Bogo's status is unknown and will be for months.  They are possibly out until early next season.

That leaves the healthy D group right now as follows

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Miller

Hunwick Nelson

Bogo - IR

This trade is almost a sure indication that Pilut and Borgen are Rochester bound for now.  It also doesn't necessary means that Risto is gone as the above depth chart shows, but why acquire two puck moving RD (Montour and Miller) if you don't move on from Risto?  The biggest issue with moving Risto is who picks up the physical game with Bogo injured, Borgen in the minors and Risto gone?  Also when is Jbot getting us a true defensive defenseman?

I think the team defense will be improved from the addition of Miller because he helps to keep the puck out of the Dzone in the first place.  That’s the best kind of defense.  Both Miller and Pilut have done a very good job of preventing the opposition from getting many shots on goal.

With regards to the team getting a true defensive defenseman, I would say that’s McCabe, with Borgen coming soon, then Samuelsson, then Johnson.  They are in the system.  I understand if you want to acquire a bonified top 4 defensive stud who can also transition the puck out of the Dzone and dominate on #1 PK.  I think we all would.  I would think that player would be quite expensive to acquire though.

Edited by Curtisp5286

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-free-agency-recap-curtis-lazar-andrew-hammond/c-308156632

"We still think having cap space is something of an asset to our organization right now and we'll continue to have conversations with different teams to see how that plays out," Botterill said. "But to say I know exactly when it's going to heat up, it's a difficult thing to project. 

"I never would have guessed that we would have picked up a player like Jeff Skinner in the middle of summer last year, but I think it's important that we stay in those dialogues throughout the league to see whenever that might materialize, whether it's later on this week, in a couple weeks or in the start of September."

To me this quote as a whole reads as if, while Botterill is certainly keeping in on the discussions, Botterill sees additions going forward this summer as unpredictable rather than the goal, and therefore may be comfortable with the roster as currently constructed. Certainly a ways away from "roster surgery". How do we feel with this line-up headed into next season, if that does indeed play out:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey 

Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

Sheary - Rodrigues - Okposo

Girgensons - Larsson - Thompson

Dahlin - Miller

McCabe - Montour

Scandella - Ristolainen

Thoughts?

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-free-agency-recap-curtis-lazar-andrew-hammond/c-308156632

To me this quote as a whole reads as if, while Botterill is certainly keeping in on the discussions, Botterill sees additions going forward this summer as unpredictable rather than the goal, and therefore may be comfortable with the roster as currently constructed. How do we feel with this line-up headed into next season, if that does indeed play out:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey 

Dahlin - Miller

McCabe - Montour

Scandella - Ristolainen

Thoughts?

Yeech.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

To me this quote as a whole reads as if, while Botterill is certainly keeping in on the discussions, Botterill sees additions going forward this summer as unpredictable rather than the goal, and therefore may be comfortable with the roster as currently constructed. Certainly a ways away from "roster surgery". How do we feel with this line-up headed into next season, if that does indeed play out:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey 

Dahlin - Miller

McCabe - Montour

Scandella - Ristolainen

Thoughts?

Pick in the top 10 overall again

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey 

Dahlin - Miller

McCabe - Montour

Scandella - Ristolainen

Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.d3bf62dbf3bc11d8f670d1d77cbbe687.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey 

Dahlin - Miller

McCabe - Montour

Scandella - Ristolainen

Thoughts?

You know it’s been about 8 hours since free agency started and there are 2+ months before next season begins?  I doubt Botterill is thinking he is all set.  Maybe give it a couple weeks.

Everyone agrees that the team needs a better Center to really be competitive.  It doesn’t need to be relitigated every day.  It would seem that Botterill is going to be patient with this and look for that value acquisition.

To your actual question:  I don’t think those forward lines look great.  Probably would have a tough time making the playoffs with that.  They probably need to add a #2C, just like yesterday.  

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Skinner - Eichel - Vesey 

Dahlin - Miller

McCabe - Montour

Scandella - Ristolainen

Thoughts?

Based on Sean Tierney’s WAR Lineup Creator that’s a projected 69 Point Team. 

2 hours ago, Curtisp5286 said:

You know it’s been about 8 hours since free agency started and there are 2+ months before next season begins?  I doubt Botterill is thinking he is all set.  Maybe give it a couple weeks.

Everyone agrees that the team needs a better Center to really be competitive.  It doesn’t need to be relitigated every day.  It would seem that Botterill is going to be patient with this and look for that value acquisition.

To your actual question:  I don’t think those forward lines look great.  Probably would have a tough time making the playoffs with that.  They probably need to add a #2C, just like yesterday.  

I said "if", calm down. 

The second bolded is also "obnoxious", as it were. 

Besides, the "everyone agrees" bit seems a little presumptuous considering our very GM didn't think we needed another quality centre as recently as last year. 

Edited by Thorny

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I said "if", calm down. 

The second bolded is also "obnoxious", as it were. 

Besides, the "everyone agrees" bit seems a little presumptuous considering our very GM didn't think we needed another quality centre as recently as last year. 

Yeah, you are right.  

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

There's just no way, given that right side on defense especially, that we're done making moves

“I never would have guessed that we would have picked up a player like Jeff Skinner in the middle of the summer last year,” Botterill said. “It’s important that we stay in those dialogues throughout the league to see whenever that might materialize, whether it’s later on this week, in a couple weeks or more in the start of September.”

Per John Vogl

This team should have been flush with young prospects filling in the depth forward ranks, so many traded away by Murray.

Unfortunately, unless one of the goalies has a "career" season, I think we are again talking about a top 5 pick.  Then again, there is a long way to go before training camp. Lets see what other teams need to move out a contract or two.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

This team should have been flush with young prospects filling in the depth forward ranks, so many traded away by Murray.

Unfortunately, unless one of the goalies has a "career" season, I think we are again talking about a top 5 pick.  Then again, there is a long way to go before training camp. Lets see what other teams need to move out a contract or two.

We almost certainly do not have Dahlin, but I do wonder what the team would look like today had they hired Botterill in 2014 rather than Murray. 

Given the fact that Botterill is building thru the draft and targeted trades

Edited by Brawndo

Skinner-Eichel-Oloffson 

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart

Smith-Rodrigues/Ruotsalainen-Vesey

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Wilson/Sobotka/Elie waived

Thompson and Nylander injury callups

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-Ristolainen

Scandella-Miller

Hunwick/Nelson one waived

Pilut to push Scandella or McCabe out of the lineup when healthy. Bogosian to kick the remaining 7th dman back when he’s healthy

So, much, competition here, coming from young guys, fringe guys, and old vets. Nobody’s spot is safe, pretty crazy. 

Only Okposo is getting gifted minutes imo

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Skinner-Eichel-Oloffson 

Sheary-Mittelstadt-Reinhart

Smith-Rodrigues/Ruotsalainen-Vesey

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Wilson/Sobotka/Elie waived

Thompson and Nylander injury callups

Dahlin-Montour

McCabe-Ristolainen

Scandella-Miller

Hunwick/Nelson one waived

Pilut to push Scandella or McCabe out of the lineup when healthy. Bogosian to kick the remaining 7th dman back when he’s healthy

So, much, competition here, coming from young guys, fringe guys, and old vets. Nobody’s spot is safe, pretty crazy. 

Only Okposo is getting gifted minutes imo

I'm going to keep beating this dead horse, but Olofsson is not playing RW guys

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.