2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

JBot not buying out Sobotka per BN.  Sounds like this Sabres year is like the Bills last year.  Get rid of the crap contracts this year but will have to live though the pain, free up the cap and work on 2020-2021.  Yea!!

Just now, Tondas said:

JBot not buying out Sobotka per BN.  Sounds like this Sabres year is like the Bills last year.  Get rid of the crap contracts this year but will have to live though the pain, free up the cap and work on 2020-2021.  Yea!!

I can hear the Ballad of Sir Robin in my head shortly before your first line...

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

....and there was much rejoicing.

Guess this means we aren’t spending to the cap and Jbot is either going to send him down or use him as a depth forward.  Status Quo here we come.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

....and there was much rejoicing.

Guess this means we aren’t spending to the cap and Jbot is either going to send him down or use him as a depth forward.  Status Quo here we come.  

Really don't see the point to buying him out.  They get nearly as much cap relief sending him down to Ra-cha-cha this year & have him completely off the books next year this way.

Plus, maybe he'll help out & pull a Berglund and just walk away should he be sent down.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really don't see the point to buying him out.  They get nearly as much cap relief sending him down to Ra-cha-cha this year & have him completely off the books next year this way.

Plus, maybe he'll help out & pull a Berglund and just walk away should he be sent down.

Yes exactly this.  I never even imagined this was on the table.  I was just happy this was his last season.

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Yes exactly this.  I never even imagined this was on the table.  I was just happy this was his last season.

Keeping a player on the roster who clearly didn't want to be in Buffalo kills the culture for another year and says that apathy will be tolerated.  JBot loses respect for this and the players will see it very clearly.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Keeping a player on the roster who clearly didn't want to be in Buffalo kills the culture for another year and says that apathy will be tolerated.  JBot loses respect for this and the players will see it very clearly.

Does Sobotka not want to be here?  I know there were whispers of that immediately after the trade but I had never heard anything once he got here.

Shannon is right in that the Sabres do not have any quality depth.  They do not have a second line (or, arguably, a third line) center and they can use an upgrade in goal.  Given the overall weakness in our pipeline (at least in my view), I do not think we are very close to being a playoff caliber team.

3 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Shannon is right in that the Sabres do not have any quality depth.  They do not have a second line (or, arguably, a third line) center and they can use an upgrade in goal.  Given the overall weakness in our pipeline (at least in my view), I do not think we are very close to being a playoff caliber team.

Disagree with your last sentence.  The rest?  Yes, ofcourse.  What's shocking is the title of that made it sound as though Sabres fans thought they were loaded with depth and now have to come to the sad realization we don't.  Ofcourse we don't.  We were a one line team last year.

Edited by Derrico

4 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Does Sobotka not want to be here?  I know there were whispers of that immediately after the trade but I had never heard anything once he got here.

I did not see any reports of his not wanting to be in Buffalo, but his lack of action and passion on the ice spoke louder than anything he could have said in his defense.

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

I did not see any reports of his not wanting to be in Buffalo, but his lack of action and passion on the ice spoke louder than anything he could have said in his defense.

I donno man.  I think he's just not a very good hockey player.  Can't remember too many times it looked like he gave up.  Housley just massively overplayed him.  Never once heard he wants out.

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I donno man.  I think he's just not a very good hockey player.  Can't remember too many times it looked like he gave up.  Housley just massively overplayed him.  Never once heard he wants out.

Fair enough.  The difference at the NHL level between an average player and a good one is desire and passion.  I just never saw either from Sobotka.  I saw a player going though the motions.

34 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

So hard to read, and so accurate for the moment. 

24 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Fair enough.  The difference at the NHL level between an average player and a good one is desire and passion.  I just never saw either from Sobotka.  I saw a player going though the motions.

My locker room source says they only needed to wash his uniform once a month, as it rarely saw sweat

• Haha (+1) 4

On 6/21/2019 at 4:50 PM, Randall Flagg said:

My locker room source says they only needed to wash his uniform once a month, as it rarely saw sweat

So he won't be replacing Brian Campbell as the new hyperhydrosis guy? That's a shame.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:26 PM, Tondas said:

No.  The difference between an average NHL player and a good one is not just desire and passion, at least not usually.  There is usually a difference in actual talent and skills.  Doesn’t apply to Sobotka anyway, because he is nowhere near an average player.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:50 PM, Randall Flagg said:

On 6/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, jahnyc said:

Given the overall weakness in our pipeline (at least in my view), I do not think we are very close to being a playoff caliber team.

You really think that the pipeline is that weak?  I really think it’s mostly just the NHL 2nd/3rd lines that are completely lacking in good enough talent.

I do think it is weak.  I also understand that certain recent picks, such as Dahlin and Mittelstadt, are already playing for the Sabres, which may contribute to my perception of the pipeline, but I do not see a lot of sure fire quality NHL players in the group.  For example, if you look at the Amerks, which is an obvious source for near-term potential talent for the Sabres, Nylander and Asplund had relatively disappointing seasons last year (or at least seasons that do not suggest that they are ready to be in the lineup for the Sabres).  Not sure how the Sabres view O"Regan and Smith, but I don't believe they are viewed as potential top six forwards. Olofsson will get his shot with the Sabres next year, but he may be the only addition at forward.  I think we need to see better results from young players with the Amerks to feel more confident about the pipeline in the near-term.

59 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I do think it is weak.  I also understand that certain recent picks, such as Dahlin and Mittelstadt, are already playing for the Sabres, which may contribute to my perception of the pipeline, but I do not see a lot of sure fire quality NHL players in the group.  For example, if you look at the Amerks, which is an obvious source for near-term potential talent for the Sabres, Nylander and Asplund had relatively disappointing seasons last year (or at least seasons that do not suggest that they are ready to be in the lineup for the Sabres).  Not sure how the Sabres view O"Regan and Smith, but I don't believe they are viewed as potential top six forwards. Olofsson will get his shot with the Sabres next year, but he may be the only addition at forward.  I think we need to see better results from young players with the Amerks to feel more confident about the pipeline in the near-term.

It’s true that Olofsson may be the only one who starts the season with Buffalo, but I think you may be underrating the system overall.  In addition to Olofsson who looked great in both Rochester and Buffalo, there is............  

Nylander, although generally disappointing, has improved his production each year in the AHL.  Still has top 6 potential.

Rasmus Asplund did not have a disappointing season.  He had a pretty good first season in North America.  In the second half he really came on and his offensive production shot way up.  Look for him to take on a bigger offensive roll and get a call up at some point.  Middle 6 potential.

Cozens obviously has so much potential and will be in the NHL soon enough.  Top-6 potential.

Thompson is still an unknown, and I would like to see him spend most of the season in Rochester, but the potential is there for a useful goal scorer.  Middle 6 potential.

Matej Pekar has outperformed his 4th round pedigree since being drafted and will be in Rochester this season.  He is probably my absolute favorite Sabres prospect.  Just a scrappy, pesky guy with a nonstop motor, amazingly positive energetic demeanor and a good amount of offensive skill too.  Middle 6 potential.

With the addition of Miller the defense has added more O talent and skating, but has it added an improvement on D?

Pilut and Bogo's status is unknown and will be for months.  They are possibly out until early next season.

That leaves the healthy D group right now as follows

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Ristolainen

Scandella Miller

Hunwick Nelson

Bogo - IR

This trade is almost a sure indication that Pilut and Borgen are Rochester bound for now.  It also doesn't necessary means that Risto is gone as the above depth chart shows, but why acquire two puck moving RD (Montour and Miller) if you don't move on from Risto?  The biggest issue with moving Risto is who picks up the physical game with Bogo injured, Borgen in the minors and Risto gone?  Also when is Jbot getting us a true defensive defenseman?

FWIW, Dahlin and McCabe hit.  Nelson isn't too shy, either.  And, apart from random games early in the season, teams don't seem to lay on the heavy until after Christmas.  Bogo, if he's here, is likely to be off IR.

Honestly, the odd man out seems to be Scandella.  I think Botterill wants to try and move him, plus one of either Risto or Bogo.  The latter two are almost a wash, at least on certain nights.  Some nights last season Bogo actually looked good, but there's no way we keep him.

McCabe is a stay-at-home D man, if that's what you mean. Whatever he signs for, he'll be cheaper than Risto. 

4 hours ago, ... said:

FWIW, Dahlin and McCabe hit.  Nelson isn't too shy, either.  And, apart from random games early in the season, teams don't seem to lay on the heavy until after Christmas.  Bogo, if he's here, is likely to be off IR.

Honestly, the odd man out seems to be Scandella.  I think Botterill wants to try and move him, plus one of either Risto or Bogo.  The latter two are almost a wash, at least on certain nights.  Some nights last season Bogo actually looked good, but there's no way we keep him.

McCabe is a stay-at-home D man, if that's what you mean. Whatever he signs for, he'll be cheaper than Risto. 

I’ve wanted Bogo gone since he got here.  He is a terrible player and Scandella had a terrible season last year.

Bogo is being paid 5 mill and is contributing when playing well at a Jordan Benn level for 5 time the price.  Awful.  Best case.  He stays on IR for the season because I doubt he has any trade value. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.