2019-2020 Lineup

GASabresIUFAN

On 11/3/2018 at 7:40 PM, Doohickie said:

If he's not signed by the deadline that will certainly happen.  Let's see if Bots can get'r done before then.

Yes, the money is important, but when you listen to Skinner, he wanted out of Carolina because he wasn't being used to his potential.  He's got that here, and this team is going places.  Do you take $8M a season and go to a team going nowhere, or take a little less to stay with a team that appreciates you and is on the rise?  We'll see.

I'd rather keep him through the deadline and accept the risk that comes with that, than trade him at the deadline for a package identical or similar to the one we gave up to get him.

I want these guys to finish strong down the stretch regardless, keeping him past it buys extra negotiating time, and opens up the possibility of an 8-year extension. 

Edited by Thorny

Assuming Skinner is re-signed, and with no other trades / FA acquisitions (which we know will happen).  And assumes UFA's other than Skinner & Ullmark aren't re-signed.

To start the year:

Skinner - Eichel - Olofsson

Sheary - Mittelstadt - Okposo

Nylander - Rodrigues - Reinhart

Girgensons - Larsson - Berglund

The order of 2-4 doesn't really matter as they'll have comparable ice time.  Players worthy of a look: Smith, Thompson, Asplund, Sobotka, Wilson.  Very outside chance Elie gets re-signed too.

McCabe - Ristolainen

Pilut - Dahlin

Scandella - Bogosian

With Guhle & Nelson in the mix and Hunwick still available (for better or worse).  Beaulieu probably re-signed as well.

Hutton & Ullmark

Considering, Botterill will likely bring in 2-4 other players he sees as an upgrade, next year looks pretty decent.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I'd rather keep him through the deadline and accept the risk that comes with that, than trade him at the deadline for a package identical or similar to the one we gave up to get him.

I want these guys to finish strong down the stretch regardless, keeping him past it buys extra negotiating time, and opens up the possibility of an 8-year extension. 

Yup.  A strong finish to the season is going to be more valuable to this team than a prospect that will never amount to anything and a couple low end lottery tickets.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Yup.  A strong finish to the season is going to be more valuable to this team than a prospect that will never amount to anything and a couple low end lottery tickets.

Mike Schopp just rolled over in his, um, fantasy football masterbatorium.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some have mentioned what we can afford for next year and beyond.  

Where do we stand for next season?

We have 9 forwards, 6 D and Hutton signed for next year.

The forwards are Eichel, Okposo, Berglund, Reinhart, Thompson, Mittelstadt, Sheary, Sobotka and Wilson, but only the 1st 3 are signed beyond next season. Cost 32.9 (The guys on multi year deals cost 19.85)

The 6 D are Risto, Dahlin, Hunwick, Nelson, Bogo and Scandella.  Cost 18.5 (only Risto and Dahlin signed beyond next year )

Hutton (G) Cost: 2.75 (2 years left)

Total Cost plus CoHo’s dead money - 54.95. That leaves about 25 mill for 6-7 players.

Key RFAs: Ullmark, McCabe

Possbile RFAs to keep: Larsson, ERod, Girgensons and maybe Elie

RFA’s unlikely to be kept: Baloo

Key UFA: Skinner

Other UFAs of interest: Pominville 

UFA to never be seen again: Moulson

Key prospects

Olofsson - 767.5K

Nylander - 2 years left at 863.3K

Pilut - 925K

Guhle - 697.5K

I think Skinner gets 8 x 8, McCabe gets 4 for 5 years and Ullmark 2yrs at 2 per season.  This brings us to 10 forwards, 7 D and 2 G at 69 Million.  Add Erod, Larry, and the 2 forward prospects and you’ll have a team for next year for about 74/75 million.  Obviously this isn’t exactly how this will play out.  I think Scandella gets traded to make room for Pilut, saving us 3 mill.  

2019-20 obviously won’t be a cap problem.  2020-21 on the other hand will be interesting with Sheary, Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Thompson to re-sign and Dahlin the following year.

Does/will the play of Thompson & Pilut make Sheary & Scandella expendable next year?  If they are, what could those 2 bring back in return?

Would that return be tempered by the impending Seattle draft the next season?  (The Vegas draft seemed to dampen enthusiasm for trades not involving Vegas leading up to it.)

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Does/will the play of Thompson & Pilut make Sheary & Scandella expendable next year?  If they are, what could those 2 bring back in return?

Would that return be tempered by the impending Seattle draft the next season?  (The Vegas draft seemed to dampen enthusiasm for trades not involving Vegas leading up to it.)

I don't think the play of either, especially the 1 game for Pilut, make either expendable next year.

I think that every GM is thinking long and hard about the Seattle draft situation already.  I think that it is possible that both Sheary and Scandella could be exposed (if possible ?), or traded, to Seattle to protect someone else.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the 'd' and the 'f' are too close together on my keyboard

32 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The problem is if they can't sign him and they're in a playoff position.   

He being Skinner?

It's possible he won't be re-signed but I expect that is very unlikely.  Skinner has to know there aren't many (any?) other situations that will be as good of a fit for him.  Botterill will offer him a fair deal.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't think the play of either, especially the 1 game for Pilut, make either expendable next year.

I think that every GM is thinking long and hard about the Seattle draft situation already.  I think that it is possible that both Sheary and Scandella could be exposed (if possible ?), or traded, to Seattle to protect someone else.

To your 1st point, that's why I added the /will to the question.  Neither player has demonstrated they definitively are answers at 2LW nor 2nd pairing yet.  Though both have flashed signs they could be.

To the 2nd point, either seems like a high price to have available for Seattle (especially because they'd have to be re-signed prior to that draft) but that thought has to be in Botterill's deliberations, especially if he wants to guarantee the goaltending platoon stays intact.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Scandella is expendable right now.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

The forwards are Eichel, Okposo, Berglund, Reinhart, Thompson, Mittelstadt, Sheary, Sobotka and Wilson, but only the 1st 3 are signed beyond next season. Cost 32.9 (The guys on multi year deals cost 19.85)

The 6 D are Risto, Dahlin, Hunwick, Nelson, Bogo and Scandella.  Cost 18.5 (only Risto and Dahlin signed beyond next year )

Total Cost plus CoHo’s dead money - 54.95. That leaves about 25 mill for 6-7 players.

Key prospects

Olofsson - 767.5K

Pilut - 925K

Guhle - 697.5K

I think Skinner gets 8 x 8, McCabe gets 4 for 5 years and Ullmark 2yrs at 2 per season.  This brings us to 10 forwards, 7 D and 2 G at 69 Million.  Add Erod, Larry, and the 2 forward prospects and you’ll have a team for next year for about 74/75 million.  Obviously this isn’t exactly how this will play out.  I think Scandella gets traded to make room for Pilut, saving us 3 mill.  

2019-20 obviously won’t be a cap problem.  2020-21 on the other hand will be interesting with Sheary, Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Thompson to re-sign and Dahlin the following year.

How does Patrick Kane fit into this scenario?

in theory I agree but the Sabres definitely need to add some more goal scoring

Would you consider the Sheary, Mittlestadt, Okposo a 2nd or 3rd line?

The other two lines are basically decent 4th lines.

Not sure where we add 3 more forwards? (2 if you consider Thompson good enough). Who do we see being a top 9 forward out of the existing prospects? Nylander? not sure of anyone anyone else.  Not too long ago, I thought Center was position of strength for the organization. Now I don't see it at all. Who is the long term 3rd center on this team?

On 11/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Key prospects

Olofsson - 767.5K

Pilut - 925K

Guhle - 697.5K

Somewhere are numbers are different.

For next season Ive got 14F , 7D and 2G coming in at $71M - way under the cap  

Fowards - Eichel, Okposo, Skinner, Bergland, Reinhart, Sobotka, Sheary, Girgensons, Larsson, Thompson, Mitts, Erod, Nylander, Smith)  I used your numbers for Skinner and McCabe, gave Larry, Erod., Ullmark and Girgs slight raises.

D - Risto, Bogo, Pilut, Dahlin, Nelson, McCabe, Scandella

I think they can add 1 more high priced forward to the team. I would love to see Scandella traded later this season to clear out his $4mill.

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Somewhere are numbers are different.

For next season Ive got 14F , 7D and 2G coming in at $71M - way under the cap  

Fowards - Eichel, Okposo, Skinner, Bergland, Reinhart, Sobotka, Sheary, Girgensons, Larsson, Thompson, Mitts, Erod, Nylander, Smith)  I used your numbers for Skinner and McCabe, gave Larry, Erod., Ullmark and Girgs slight raises.

D - Risto, Bogo, Pilut, Dahlin, Nelson, McCabe, Scandella

I think they can add 1 more high priced forward to the team. I would love to see Scandella traded later this season to clear out his $4mill.

You forgot Hunwick and his 2.25 and Wilson and his 1.05.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, Crusader1969 said:

think Samson could eventually move back to Center or is that experiment over?

I think there is one more chance for Sam to slide back to Center.   Phil is growing weary of Casey and his bad play.   He basically called him out on WGR when asked why he did not see any OT minutes.   And he was being polite, as his last four games against high caliber teams has resulted in horrible play.  Sheary and Tage need someone to distribute the puck, and Sam is second only to Jack in that department.   Compare our second line center to that of Toronto, Boston, Tampa, Washington or NYI and we have second class citizen status.   If there is a late December call up at wing, maybe Nylander gets a chance on the right of Jack and does well, I can see Sam taking on this role again.  

On December 7, 2018 at 10:51 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way.  What does Pilut’s playing more minutes already then Baloo tell you about Baloo’s future with the Sabres beyond this season?  It tells me that Baloo is a spare part and likely won’t be a Sabres next year.

Pilut is the future fo sure but I sure like having a guy who is willing to drop the gloves occasionally to keep the other side honest. He isn't a goon in the truest sense of the word but he is the only guy we have capable of filling that role. I may be in the minority but I still believe you need some sort of a deterent. Either that or a great Power play which we just don't have.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, Sabre1974 said:

Think of Dylan Larkin? Long shot that any of them could be ready and do agree with you though. Could always live in hope though eh?

Making any plan or decision around the possibility that mid-to-late first round picks are ready immediately is a fireable offense.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the Leafs Nation thread we have been talking about possible cap he’ll in the near future for us.

I doubt it.

Right now we have 8 forwards signed for next year (not including Berglund) for 29 mill (Jack, KO, Sam, Vlad, Sheary, Tage, Wilson and Mitts).  Larsson, Z, and ERod are RFAs.  Skinner and Pommers are UFAs.  Nylander and Olofsson are also signed for next season 863K and 768K respectively.

On defense we have 8 D signed and 2 RFAs.  The 8 signed are Hunwick, Risto, Scandella, Dahlin, Pilut, Guhle, Nelson and Bogo for 20.153.  Baloo and McCabe are the RFAs.  

Hutton is also signed for the next 2 seasons at 2.75.  

That’s 17 players for approximately 52 mill.  Add Nylander and Olofsson, re-sign Skinner (8.5 x 6 years) and Ullmark (2 x 3 years) and you’ve nearly completed the roster for 64 mill.  Re-sign two of Z, Larsson and ERod and your done for under 68 mill.  Re-sign McCabe maybe your adding 3.5 to 4.  I’m going with 3.5 because of his recent injury history and lack of high offense.

Beyond next season it’s a complete open slate.

In 2020-2021 we have 3 forwards (Jack, KO, and Nylander) for 16.812, Hutton for 2.75 and Dahlin and Risto for 6.325.  Add the suggested McCabe, Skinner and Ullmark deals and your at 40 mill for 9 players. That is a huge amount of room (approx 45 mill) to keep Reinhart, Tage and Mitts (assuming they develop as hoped) and complete the roster.  Guhle, Olofsson, and Pilut will need new deals, but I doubt any of them break the bank. Asplund, Borgen and maybe Davidsson or Pekar could also be ready for a roster spot.  Jbot will also likely have re-signed Erod, Larsson and/or Girgensons to at least 2 year deals this summer adding some less expensive talent to the mix.

My guess for 2020-21

Forwards: Jack 10, Skinner 8.5, Sam 7.5, KO 6, Tage 3, Mitts 5, Larsson 1.75, Girgensons 2, Asplund .845, Nylander .863, Olofsson 1.5 = 11 forwards for 47 mill.

Defense: Risto 5.4, Dahlin .925,  McCabe 3.5, Pilut 2.5, Guhle 1.25, Borgen .864 = 6 defense for 14.439

Goalies: Hutton 2.75, Ullmark 2 = 4.75

That team costs a fraction over 66 mill with room for a 4th line RW and depth forwards and D and plenty of room to re-sign Dahlin that off-season.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.